eTrex 30 or Earthmate PN-60

I currently have an eTrex 10 and am looking to upgrade. Currently looking at the above subjects as they are similar in capabilities and price. Seems like one gets more with the PN-60. Advice from anyone who has used both units? Thanks in advance.

I currently have an eTrex 10 and am looking to upgrade. Currently looking at the above subjects as they are similar in capabilities and price. Seems like one gets more with the PN-60. Advice from anyone who has usegod both units? Thanks in advance.

Mostly personal preference. We use Delorme and love it, but will not take away from the eTrex 30. Both are excellent units.

One normally finds it easier to stay within a brand which they are familiar with using. Switching makes can sometimes produce frustration.

I upgraded to a PN-60 from a Garmin eTrex Vista HC, so while I haven't used the 30, I can speak to the differences in general. The menu and buttons are way easier to use on the DeLorme (once you get used to them; it took me one good day of caching). I really dislike its USB cord, though--it's hard to get the plug to sit properly in the unit, making fiddling with it for five minutes necessary every time I download a PQ. And though the two manufacturers have similar specs on reception, I know the Garmin would get a signal inside and under thick cover while my PN-60 won't. Yet I feel that the PN-60 is a hair more accurate...or maybe more consistent? Maybe I'm just a better cacher now than when I used the Garmin, but sometimes it wouldn't settle down close to GZ.

If I bought another GPSr in the near future...it would probably be a DeLorme again.

Thanks fellow cachers. My main issues with the eTrex 10 is the limited number of caches that can be loaded and the lack of any sort of useful mapping. My wife and I think this is a hobby we will stick with for the long term. I would like to load a few thousand caches depending on where we travel in the state and not have to take a laptop with us. Also, some level of street mapping to avoid going to deadend street after deadend street, or roads as the case may be. The receiver is important as well, I assume the one in the 30 is the same as the 10. It has been just fine.

Some people in this forum have reported problems upon loading pocket queries to the 20/30 consisting of thousands of caches unfortunately. I don't know which devices have a good reputation for reliably keeping tens of thousands of caches in memory and displaying them correctly...

Right, the 10 has a practical limit of 500. The 30 5,000. The PN-60 is unlimited provided one has enough SD cards. I understand this. I have read the reviews. I don't mind changing interfaces and software, I'll figure it out. Just want to know from those that have used both, if they prefer one over the other and why.

Hmm... I used to put 15000 caches into our etrex 30, without a problem. But I decided that I'm not driving that far, and am putting in 7000 caches, with no problem, that I know of.

I do find the maps very slow to load, which is annoying. And it's very cranky when hungry. And, on rare occasion, will just freeze (usually wen I take an alternate route.) Or maybe that's because I load too many caches? Anyone know?

I would get neither.....get a 62S.

I vote for that one as well, know several who own it - few problems except some minor stuff with maps. The eTrex 30, which I own, on the other hand... one joke of a firmware. The parts of it work quite well, but apparently they didn't manage to orchestrate the system together into a working entity.

I just got the PN60. It is OK. The reviews and features seemed good. The problem that I have is their customer service response time. Also the fact that I have to format it after 6 weeks use. Seems too soon to have to be thinking about that. When out in the field using it is very good. As for the maps, the one that I downloaded it was OK. Couldn't zoom in any closer than 80 feet. Overall it is OK, I will work with what it gives me. I understand that no one unit will have exactly everything that I am looking for. Good luck and have fun with it.

I just got the PN60. It is OK. The reviews and features seemed good. The problem that I have is their customer service response time.

Email support has always been notoriously slow. Phone support is much better.
Also the fact that I have to format it after 6 weeks use. Seems too soon to have to be thinking about that.
You shouldn't ever have to do that, but sometimes things in memory get corrupted. In nearly 3 1/2 years with my PN-40, I think I've had to do this once.
As for the maps, the one that I downloaded it was OK. Couldn't zoom in any closer than 80 feet.
What map were you using? If you took the default zoom level pre-cut maps right from DeLorme, that's probably the limit. If you use TopoNA to cut your own maps, you can change the zoom levels and get closer. No guarantees on how usable it'll be at that zoom level though, as it's all raster imagery and the resolution is only so fine.

I just got the PN60. It is OK. The reviews and features seemed good. The problem that I have is their customer service response time.

Email support has always been notoriously slow. Phone support is much better.
Also the fact that I have to format it after 6 weeks use. Seems too soon to have to be thinking about that.
You shouldn't ever have to do that, but sometimes things in memory get corrupted. In nearly 3 1/2 years with my PN-40, I think I've had to do this once.
As for the maps, the one that I downloaded it was OK. Couldn't zoom in any closer than 80 feet.
What map were you using? If you took the default zoom level pre-cut maps right from DeLorme, that's probably the limit. If you use TopoNA to cut your own maps, you can change the zoom levels and get closer. No guarantees on how usable it'll be at that zoom level though, as it's all raster imagery and the resolution is only so fine.

Having worked in the customer service field, I know that slow responses and lack of a 800 number(from what I saw)are not favorable.

Formatting a device this new seems outside of the norm. I can deal with that. It just would sure be nice if the companies support was there to help. The information that I got was from a different companies website. I think that if they would leverage Youtube for support it could could go a long ways.

The map issues very well could be me. I followed a video from a gentleman. Great video, great guy, just wish he had done more videos.

All in all I will get these resolved it just will take time. By the way took it geocaching yesterday and had a lot of fun with it.

Having worked in the customer service field, I know that slow responses and lack of a 800 number(from what I saw)are not favorable.

Left-hand side of www.delorme.com . "Sales & Service

1.800.561.5105"

Customer Service -> Contact DeLorme - at least 2 different 800 numbers listed. Tech Support may not have an apparent direct 800 #, but the others (especially Customer Service) will transfer your call.