10000 Wps? When Geocaching .com only gives 1000 at a time?

Alright, I know an answer to my question, I am just hoping there might be another answer. Alright my gpsr allows for 10000 wp at a time, and geocaching only allows 1000. I know gsak will allow this to be done. Is there anyway to combine files without going through gsak? I have been wondering if anyone has found a way to do it. Can someone help me.

Alright, I know an answer to my question, I am just hoping there might be another answer. Alright my gpsr allows for 10000 wp at a time, and geocaching only allows 1000. I know gsak will allow this to be done. Is there anyway to combine files without going through gsak? I have been wondering if anyone has found a way to do it. Can someone help me.

You didn't say what model of GPS you are using. Most of the recent models can handle more than one .gpx file. So if you really want to have 10000 wp on your GPS just download 10 PQs with 1000 wps in each and place each on your GPS.

If for some reason it absolutely must be one file. The .gpx format is a text based format. You can open each file in a text editor and with care you can append or copy and paste each file to the bottom of one to make one really big .gpx file.

Although I am at a loss at to why someone would want 10000 wps on their GPS. Unless you are going to be doing some very serious Geocaching in a short amount of time by the time you'd get around to finding all of them the information will be old and you should refresh (download updated .gpx files) the wps often.

You didn't say what model of GPS you are using. Most of the recent models can handle more than one .gpx file. So if you really want to have 10000 wp on your GPS just download 10 PQs with 1000 wps in each and place each on your GPS.

If for some reason it absolutely must be one file. The .gpx format is a text based format. You can open each file in a text editor and with care you can append or copy and paste each file to the bottom of one to make one really big .gpx file.

Although I am at a loss at to why someone would want 10000 wps on their GPS. Unless you are going to be doing some very serious Geocaching in a short amount of time by the time you'd get around to finding all of them the information will be old and you should refresh (download updated .gpx files) the wps often.

Consider this. I live at one location and work away at another for a few days. I have caches near home, en route and at the destination on my Oregon 550. I am never sure exactly which route I wish to take or whether to divert for a few caches. This adds up to about 4500 in my case. They are fairly up to date using GSAK, PQs and API calls. Sure I am not going to find many but the point is I don't know which ones I might wish to find in advance. Included in these are quite a few solved puzzles or other special caches of interest. This may be poor planning on my behalf but I find it easier to have a few to choose from :D.

I think some of the responders are confusing waypoints and geocaches. The OP say his GPS holds 10,000 and 1,000 respectively. It would be nice to know what he has but based on his statement he CANNOT load more than 1,000 caches. Not possible. That is a limit of the older models. He can download thousands a day but not put them on his GPS. GSAK has a macro that converts the caches to waypoints to overcome the limit but they display as waypoints and lack the paperless feature, information only.

Why should I not have 10000 on my gps system. :-p Anyway, I have an explorist 710 and no smart phone. I currently do work all over VA. So having many many points on my gps is essential. Also I wanted to have Benchmarks so I require alot of wps and geocaches.

DD

Have you read the manual? The reason you can't have 10,000 is that this device is limited to 2,000 according to the Magellan website.

It doesn't have a separate number for caches so it looks like that is your upper limit.

If you want more capacity you might consider taking it back and getting the Oregon x50 series which hold 5,000 caches and even more waypoints as POIs.

Have you read the manual? The reason you can't have 10,000 is that this device is limited to 2,000 according to the Magellan website.

It doesn't have a separate number for caches so it looks like that is your upper limit.

If you want more capacity you might consider taking it back and getting the Oregon x50 series which hold 5,000 caches and even more waypoints as POIs.

The specs on the Magellan website for the eXp 710 say 10,000 geocaches.

Why should I not have 10000 on my gps system. :-p Anyway, I have an explorist 710 and no smart phone. I currently do work all over VA. So having many many points on my gps is essential. Also I wanted to have Benchmarks so I require alot of wps and geocaches.

DD

A reason against maxing out on caches is, besides what I stated before about stale data, that it can cause the boot time for your GPS to increase.

Don't worry about using any programs to stitch the .GPX files together. The eXp 710 knows how to do that already. Just make multiple Pocket Queries and/or Routes and upload all the .GPX files to the eXp 710.

Dr. Dragon,

You can combine the GPX files with GSAK or the free Vantage Point software that comes with your eXplorist 710; however, if you don't want to use these programs you can drag and drop several GPX files into the Geocache directory on the unit iteself - not on the SD card. Then when you restrat the unit it will pick up the caches. I too have a 710 and I've had as many as 8,000 on it at a time without any issue.

Also, I would invite you - as an eXplorist owner - to join us over at http://www.eXploristforum.com where you can find out all kinds of trips and tricks about these units. Also, if you need any assistance in the future, please feel free to email me at ZukiCacher@gmail.com

Magellan - the GPS company that is listening to their customers!!!

David

Magellan Insider

Download multiple pocket queries (each one is a GPX file), copy them all onto your GPS, and away you go.

The only issue you'll have doing things that way (as opposed to using GPX management software) is that you won't necessarily know easily whether a ? icon means a puzzle cache that you've solved (i.e. it has the correct coords) or a puzzle cache that you haven't solved.

Download multiple pocket queries (each one is a GPX file), copy them all onto your GPS, and away you go.

The only issue you'll have doing things that way (as opposed to using GPX management software) is that you won't necessarily know easily whether a ? icon means a puzzle cache that you've solved (i.e. it has the correct coords) or a puzzle cache that you haven't solved.

You also will not get the pictures included in the caches descriptions as you would via using GSAK or VP...

David

Magellan Insider