Made some sick signature item/swag done!

Hello Fellow Geocachers! I have seen someone mention before either on these forums or another one about someone finding a survival bracelet as a swag/signature item in a cache. I thought that would be really cool to find in a cache so I bought some real 550 lbs para-cord rope a week ago and made my first survival bracelet! They call it 550 lbs para-cord rope because it is able to withstand 550lbs of pressure! I believe they used it for the soldiers who would jump out of planes and rely on their parachute (made up of this cord)! I looked on Youtube on how to make one and just finished one now! Here it is! (First one too!) It has roughly 6 feet of cord wrapped in there! Im thinking of adding a little piece of paper to it explaining what it is and my geoname!

DSC01145.jpgDSC01155.jpg

DSC01150.jpgDSC01151.jpg

Would you be interested to see these in caches?

So Whats your signature Item? Im also going to try and make some wooden nickels but haven't gotten around to that because I want to have a nice picture on one side and my name on the other. Have to come up with a picture first!

-Cheers!

Strange coincidence...I used to work at Survival Straps (www.survivalstraps.com) and made very similar things. My point wasn't to push their product but I actually left one of my straps in a cache just last week! I'm still waiting for someone to go find it but I hope it can help out the cacher that grabs it.

Anyway, awesome signature item - there are a lot of creative things you can do with paracord and maybe the site can offer some inspiraton. I know I'd be happy to find one in a cache.

I think that is an awesome signature item, but.... I think it would be even better if you would include a small laminated note to explain who made it and what it can be used for. THAT would make it an ideal signature item!

You can laminate a small info. card for only pennies (I go to the local office supply store, where laminating is 1 ft. X about 2 1/2 ft for only 25 cents! You know how many small cards you can fit into a laminate piece that big? LOTS!

I think that is an awesome signature item, but.... I think it would be even better if you would include a small laminated note to explain who made it and what it can be used for. THAT would make it an ideal signature item!

You can laminate a small info. card for only pennies (I go to the local office supply store, where laminating is 1 ft. X about 2 1/2 ft for only 25 cents! You know how many small cards you can fit into a laminate piece that big? LOTS!

I did mention this in my OP, "Im thinking of adding a little piece of paper to it explaining what it is and my geoname! " and yes I was thinking of laminating the paper, thanks anyway!!

hippietwinkie : Go right ahead! I would like to see your finished project as-well! :)

I just finished another one, but this one is different. The first one is called the cobra weave, this one is called the king cobra weave! It holds more then twice the amount of rope and looks pretty cool. (Pretty much the same weave over the original) I tried a different color this time!

DSC01157.jpgDSC01162.jpg

DSC01169.jpgDSC01166.jpg

-Cheers!

I just finished another one, but this one is different. The first one is called the cobra weave, this one is called the king cobra weave! It holds more then twice the amount of rope and looks pretty cool. (Pretty much the same weave over the original) I tried a different color this time!

DSC01157.jpgDSC01162.jpg

DSC01169.jpgDSC01166.jpg

-Cheers!

That's macrame isn't it?

Oh man, I love these Cobra Weave bracelets! I've gotten into making them recently, and have made a few dozen. I've given some to friends and family members and they just love them. The survival aspect is just gravy. I never thought of leaving them as cache swag, but they'd be pretty sweet swag!

bfcw3upl.jpgphotov7u6f.jpg

I did mention this in my OP, "Im thinking of adding a little piece of paper to it explaining what it is and my geoname! " and yes I was thinking of laminating the paper, thanks anyway!!

Well while you are "thinking about" doing those things, I'll repeat that without a tag, we'd think the bracelet in a cache was just junk. With a tag, we'd think it was a pretty cool thing to take.

Interesting. and to the OP, yes I would be happy to find one in a cache. How does the "clasp" work" is it a slip knot that can be tightened up? Hard to tell from the picture, but it appears that it could come undone fairly easily. In a survival situation, cord is probably one of the most essential materials there is after a good sturdy knife.

Interesting. and to the OP, yes I would be happy to find one in a cache. How does the "clasp" work" is it a slip knot that can be tightened up? Hard to tell from the picture, but it appears that it could come undone fairly easily. In a survival situation, cord is probably one of the most essential materials there is after a good sturdy knife.

Think button and button hole... more accurately frog and toggle like on many coats. The 4 picture shows the method in the upper right photo.

By the way... the proper term for 550 paracord is Type III suspension line. 550 lbs is the TS. As on most para gear, that is not Tensile Strength, as in many things, BUT is Test Strength as in proof testing. Mil Specs required that that be the worst case breaking point of several samples of new cord. Same for other Para or Mil spec hardware. Tensile is for engineering, Proof Test Strength is for Quality Assurance. But folks are correct, exposure to the elements, chemicals or even dyeing can weaken that.

Also wear and tear. Still the most handy cord out there, and NOT to be mistaken for the cheap camping stuff called paracord that is poorly made, but sometimes useful. Same for those mini carabiners, they are not for climbing purposes.

Doug 7rxc

Uses for Paracord

Found this cool link for a few useful/survival ways you can use paragord. :)

As I quickly scrolled and read the bolded portions of the uses list, the image that flashed for the ogre-sized creature that would use paracord for dental floss was not pretty! :o

You are so funny....if you take the outer layer off...there are strands on the inside...that is what makes the cord so strong. Those are what you would use to floss your teeth, sew something or someone back together, etc. :)

Uses for Paracord

Found this cool link for a few useful/survival ways you can use paragord. :)

As I quickly scrolled and read the bolded portions of the uses list, the image that flashed for the ogre-sized creature that would use paracord for dental floss was not pretty! :o

You are so funny....if you take the outer layer off...there are strands on the inside...that is what makes the cord so strong. Those are what you would use to floss your teeth, sew something or someone back together, etc. :)

Yeah, I realized that after stopping to read those all-important, unbolded, details. :laughing: