My letterbox was replaced with a geocache

I do not geocache. I am a letterboxer. Recently my letterbox went missing and in it's place is a geocache. The geocache is a container with just a small logbook with the letters TBWS and the number 5. No one has logged into the logbook. It was placed in Dudley MA, on Healy Road. It was on a Dudley Conservation Land Trust property.

On another note. How do I educate local geocachers about letterboxes and that if they find one it should be left in place?

Check with JDumper. He apparently placed a series of caches in that preserve that have yet to be published. You can contact him through his profile.

It's possible that he, or other geocachers had nothing to do with it. Most geocachers would leave a Letterbox be. It may have gone missing, then whoever placed the cache happened on a perfect, empty hiding place not knowing that a LB was hidden there.

Edited by briansnat

I do not geocache. I am a letterboxer. Recently my letterbox went missing and in it's place is a geocache. The geocache is a container with just a small logbook with the letters TBWS and the number 5. No one has logged into the logbook. It was placed in Dudley MA, on Healy Road. It was on a Dudley Conservation Land Trust property.

On another note. How do I educate local geocachers about letterboxes and that if they find one it should be left in place?

I did a search for caches in the area and didn't find an geocaches listed on Healy, Rd. Since the log book is empty it's possible that the geocache is not yet published. How long ago did your letterbox go missing? If it's been more than a few days it could be a cache that was placed (I *really* hope someone didn't try placing a cache there and decided that your letterbox was "in the way"), the reviewer would not publish it, and the person that put it there hasn't bother to retrieve the geocache. Since it's on Conservation Land Trust property it very well could be that the reviewer denied publishing it because typically geocaches are not allowed to be placed on conservation land trusts.

The cache name is also leads me to think that it might be part of a series (TBWS #1, #2, etc) and there is another small series nearby. You might even find that if you searched a bit about 528' down the road you might find TBWS #4 or TBWS #6 (half-joking...).

I'd do a search using the Hide and Seek a Cache page (My link) in a couple of days and see if any new geocaches show up. Then you can send the cache owner a message and ask what's up? If no new caches show up you can also send an email message to the local reviewer. Here's a link for what appears to be the local reviewer: Massechusets Volunteer Reviewer. They would know if someone tried to have a cache published at the location of your letterbox.

I would suspect that most geocachers are aware of Letterboxing, and in fact there is a letterbox hybrid geocache tpe (though they're not very common). However, a geocacher should never, ever, remove an existing letterbox or even another geocache in order to place their own geocache in the same location. I hope that this incident does not sour your opinion of geocaching.

I did a search for caches in the area and didn't find an geocaches listed on Healy, Rd. Since the log book is empty it's possible that the geocache is not yet published. How long ago did your letterbox go missing? If it's been more than a few days it could be a cache that was placed (I *really* hope someone didn't try placing a cache there and decided that your letterbox was "in the way"), the reviewer would not publish it, and the person that put it there hasn't bother to retrieve the geocache. Since it's on Conservation Land Trust property it very well could be that the reviewer denied publishing it because typically geocaches are not allowed to be placed on conservation land trusts.

The cache name is also leads me to think that it might be part of a series (TBWS #1, #2, etc) and there is another small series nearby. You might even find that if you searched a bit about 528' down the road you might find TBWS #4 or TBWS #6 (half-joking...).

I'd do a search using the Hide and Seek a Cache page (My link) in a couple of days and see if any new geocaches show up. Then you can send the cache owner a message and ask what's up? If no new caches show up you can also send an email message to the local reviewer. Here's a link for what appears to be the local reviewer: Massechusets Volunteer Reviewer. They would know if someone tried to have a cache published at the location of your letterbox.

I would suspect that most geocachers are aware of Letterboxing, and in fact there is a letterbox hybrid geocache tpe (though they're not very common). However, a geocacher should never, ever, remove an existing letterbox or even another geocache in order to place their own geocache in the same location. I hope that this incident does not sour your opinion of geocaching.

Madmin Very nice guy to deal with. Both of my caches are in Mass. I am sure he will help you out, if he can.

hey, you managed to log in here :-)

why not also log into geocaching.com and list YOUR letterboxes ?

then the location will be reserved and no one can legally place a geocache 161 meters from your letterbox,

and also you might get some visitors to your cool letterboxes :-)

you dont need to play the geocache game to list or use the free listing service.

it goes both ways, you also need a 161m clearance from any other listed geocache container,

but that is actually a quality gain too for you, this way nothing of yours gets mixed up by acident.

PS: how do people know about the locations of your letterboxes ?

how do they play your game ?

Edited by OZ2CPU

Madmin Very nice guy to deal with. Both of my caches are in Mass. I am sure he will help you out, if he can.

*whisper* MadMin is a she. :anitongue:

Edited by docsigma

Check with JDumper. He apparently placed a series of caches in that preserve that have yet to be published. You can contact him through his profile.

It's possible that he, or other geocachers had nothing to do with it. Most geocachers would leave a Letterbox be. It may have gone missing, then whoever placed the cache happened on a perfect, empty hiding place not knowing that a LB was hidden there.

GC3G9H4 TBWS [5]

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6c12260e-b8c5-4956-a5d7-dc3bba7fbf7f

jdumper

Write note

05/21/2012

Cache has been muggled (not by any cachers) and will soon be replaced to a very nearby location with new coords. For anyone that completes the rest of the series, feel free to log this one as a find. The clue for the bonus that was in this cache was %

MadMin

[Reviewer] Reviewer

05/21/2012

Published

B.

Many clues for letterboxes are on AtlasQuest.com or letterboxing.org but not all clues are listed online. Some boxes are simply a word of mouth and you have to meet someone who has the clues. There are message boards on Atlasquest.com that a question about a letterbox can be posted. Usually as a community we can let you know what letterbox it is based on where it was found and the image of the stamp.

Thanks again for all the helpful info about geocaching. My letterbox has been found.

Many clues for letterboxes are on AtlasQuest.com or letterboxing.org but not all clues are listed online. Some boxes are simply a word of mouth and you have to meet someone who has the clues. There are message boards on Atlasquest.com that a question about a letterbox can be posted. Usually as a community we can let you know what letterbox it is based on where it was found and the image of the stamp.

Thanks again for all the helpful info about geocaching. My letterbox has been found.

Which leads me to believe that a cacher moved/took it :( That's not cool, I'm sorry about that.

Ya know, I thought about this last night after I posted it, I should have put person, because I did NOT know .

PS if you are MadMin I am sorry.....

When I find a letterbox, I just sign the log, "xx/xx/xx Gustav129 - Geocacher". We have quite a few letterbox hybrids, and there's a few people in the area who letterbox.

I don't do that...If I have a stamp I will stamp it...otherwise I will leave it alone.

Is it bad form to sign a letterbox log you happen across? I found one hidden about 5 yards from where I eventually found the hidden microcache. The letterbox was pretty cool and the group I was with looked at it and signed the log. We were very new to GC at the time, and I've been thinking I'd not sign the log if I had to do it all over again. Surely this has to be somewhat common to happen across them. What would an experienced geocacher do? Perhaps even a "Geocacher of the Year?" :)

When I find a letterbox, I just sign the log, "xx/xx/xx Gustav129 - Geocacher". We have quite a few letterbox hybrids, and there's a few people in the area who letterbox.

I don't do that...If I have a stamp I will stamp it...otherwise I will leave it alone.

Is it bad form to sign a letterbox log you happen across? I found one hidden about 5 yards from where I eventually found the hidden microcache. The letterbox was pretty cool and the group I was with looked at it and signed the log. We were very new to GC at the time, and I've been thinking I'd not sign the log if I had to do it all over again. Surely this has to be somewhat common to happen across them. What would an experienced geocacher do? Perhaps even a "Geocacher of the Year?" :)

I found a letterbox last week (and DNF'd the geocache that was supposed to be about 20 ft away). I did not sign the letterbox log; they're supposed to be stamped, not signed, and I don't carry a stamp & inkpad with me as I am not a letterboxer.

then the location will be reserved and no one can legally place a geocache 161 meters from your letterbox,

That is not entirely true. It only stops someone from listing a geocache on geocaching.com within 161 meters of that location.

then the location will be reserved and no one can legally place a geocache that will actually get found 161 meters from your letterbox,

That is not entirely true. It only stops someone from listing a geocache on geocaching.com within 161 meters of that location.
Is that better?

Is it bad form to sign a letterbox log you happen across?

Wow, it never occurred to me that a letterbox owner might object to a geocacher signing their log. I've stumbled onto 3 so far, and I always sign. If there's a usable inkpad, I leave my thumbprint, too.

GC3G9H4 TBWS [5]

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6c12260e-b8c5-4956-a5d7-dc3bba7fbf7f

jdumper

Write note

05/21/2012

Cache has been muggled (not by any cachers) and will soon be replaced to a very nearby location with new coords. For anyone that completes the rest of the series, feel free to log this one as a find. The clue for the bonus that was in this cache was %

MadMin

[Reviewer] Reviewer

05/21/2012

Published

B.

Hmm...

So, the cache owner reports the cache MIA the same day that the Letterbox Owner reports the cache is in the spot where their LB was? Did someone get smart and decide to switch containers? Looking at the maps, can the LB owner verify that this cache is where it was supposed to be, or was it somewhere else?

Which leads me to believe that a cacher moved/took it :( That's not cool, I'm sorry about that.
Not sure what leads you to believe that a cacher moved the box. Where was the LB found?

In this instance the geocacher took my letterbox and replaced it with his geocache. He and I are working it out where the letterbox will stay and where he will put the geocache. We are also discussing the possibility making a hybrid box.

That's defintiely not cool. With the number of finds he has, they should have known better.

There's no reason that a GC and letterbox cannot happiily coexist. I have a cache in the same rock pile as a pre-existing letterbox (mine is hidden a little harder). In my listing I mention the existance of the letterbox.

In this instance the geocacher took my letterbox and replaced it with his geocache. He and I are working it out where the letterbox will stay and where he will put the geocache. We are also discussing the possibility making a hybrid box.
Wow, I guess that answers my questions.

I'm appalled to hear that a cacher decided it was ok to remove someone else's letterbox. For someone who plays a game that relies on people returning a cache to where they found it, it seems a cacher should recognize that removing a container is A Big No-No. <_< How would they feel if a letterboxer were to go out, remove all their caches, and replace them with letterboxes?

You are very kind to work with this cacher, especially in considering making a hybrid with them. Very kind indeed. I'd be less kind.

Although I suppose if there is any hope of your stamp being returned, it doesn't lie in being uncooperative and doing things like reporting the cacher as a thief to the local reviewer. :ph34r:

It is my understanding the the cacher thought it was an abandoned letterbox so he removed it. He did try to find info about the letterbox online, but was unsuccessful. That is why education is so important. I am grateful that he has been working with me to fix this, especially because we plant in the same territories.

It is my understanding the the cacher thought it was an abandoned letterbox so he removed it. He did try to find info about the letterbox online, but was unsuccessful. That is why education is so important. I am grateful that he has been working with me to fix this, especially because we plant in the same territories.

This is still not acceptible. As I said above, he shoudl have just palced his cache a little ways off from it, and let it be.

GC3G9H4 TBWS [5]

jdumper

Write note

05/21/2012

MadMin

[Reviewer] Reviewer

05/21/2012

Published

B.

Hmm...

So, the cache owner reports the cache MIA the same day that the Letterbox Owner reports the cache is in the spot where their LB was? Did someone get smart and decide to switch containers? Looking at the maps, can the LB owner verify that this cache is where it was supposed to be, or was it somewhere else?

Not sure what leads you to believe that a cacher moved the box. Where was the LB found?

Because the letterbox had been replaced with a geocache, and in an earlier post the OP stated they were trying to contact the CO. The finding of the letterbox after trying to contact the CO of the cache that was where the letterbox used to be tells me that the CO removed the letterbox. That's already been established by the time I post this, but that was the line of thinking when I made my first post.

That's shameful behaviour. You're much more tolerant than I am, I wouldn't work with the CO in this instance at all. Again, I'm sorry that this happened to your letterbox, there's no excuse for it.

Letterboxers log in with signature stamps but we are happy to have others sign in if they don't have a stamp. You can just use your geocaching trail name or your real name. You can even leave a little note in the logbook if you would like.

+1. I'm a letterboxer too and would want visitors to sign the log to let me know they found it.

+1

Ya know, I thought about this last night after I posted it, I should have put person, because I did NOT know .

PS if you are MadMin I am sorry.....

No worries! I got a good chuckle out of that [:D]

I don't think it is a shameful act to pick up someone elses letterbox that "they think" has been abandoned (CITO?), after the research, Jdumper didn't see it online, picked it up.

The letterbox owner did the right thing by posting on this forum to find out what happened. I'm pretty sure Jdumper and the letterbox owner spoke. The letterbox owner seems ok, I think. But that's my personal opinion.

I think the letterbox owner and Jdumper were both very responsible here.

Thompy8

I don't think it is a shameful act to pick up someone elses letterbox that "they think" has been abandoned (CITO?), after the research, Jdumper didn't see it online, picked it up.

Thompy8

Sorry, but I disagree. What if we were talking about a puzzle cache, and teh second cacher couldn't figure out which cache it was. Would it be OK for him to just take it?

Thompy8

Sorry, but I disagree. What if we were talking about a puzzle cache, and teh second cacher couldn't figure out which cache it was. Would it be OK for him to just take it?

That's why its important to put all info in the cache. That way people will know if its a puzzle, letterbox, or caches from other site.

Thompy8

Np, we can agree to disagree. If it was taken to be a jerk, then your a jerk. I just don't think the intention was to steal someones stuff. He didnt need to take it to place his cache at that location, he could have just left it in that deep, deep, deep hole. If he thought he was cleaning up left over junk (not to say LB is junk) then isn't that responsible?

Linda seems ok with her communicaton with jdumper from what can be seen on this thread, sounds like we are all making something out of nothing.

Thompy8

That's why its important to put all info in the cache. That way people will know if its a puzzle, letterbox, or caches from other site.

This is KEY for both letterboxes and geocaches, especially for letterboxes, since geocachers might swap out the stamp. But not foolproof.

I am a letterboxer/geocacher who has personally witnessed TWICE geocachers signing letterboxes that happened to be near the cache, and they just happened to find the letterbox and didn't look carefully at it. Didn't look at the notices written on the letterbox, or pay attention to all the stamps in the letterbox or the stamp, etc. Once it was a geocacher who had found over 5000 caches and was just in a hurry...sign and go...

It happens. I try my best. I have "Letterbox, not geocache," and multiple blurbs written on and in mine, and in the logbook. So far, so good. I also plant "in the shadow" of a geocache, so that hopefully no other cache will be placed too close to my letterboxes. But not many letterboxers also geocache and would know where a cache is in relation to where they might plant a letterbox.

Planting letterbox/geocache hybrids is what I am doing to try and educate both sides and provide some interesting cache alternatives. Mine have coords to part of the trail and clues to find the box... They seem to be very well received.