[SUGGESTION] be able to change cache types.

the.pud

Not sure if this has been talked about before (and yes I have search the forums for the last 30min trying to find anything) but would it be possible to have a ability to change the icons for the cache type just as you can now change the listed co-ords?

Reason being when you have done the puzzle or qualified for a challenge cache then it is essentially just a traditional cache thereafter.

And you could then run a PQ for just trad caches and your solved puzzles would show.

I know this can be done in GSAK but you have to lock the field and then the cache isn't updated when a new PQ is loaded into GSAK so you don't know if the cache has been disabled or archived since you locked the cache details.

I also think it would be easier to just keep the whole process under one site instead of having to run multiple programs to do the same job.

Is anyone else on the same wave length here?

Please if I have posted in the wrong forum or there is already talk about this please point me in the wrong direction.

Keep up the good work Groundspeak.

After a cache has been reviewed and published, you can't change the TYPE of cache ..... Cache owners can't even do that.

I think you are looking for some sort of FLAG that alerts you of the 'solved' status - that you can search/locate it for a PQ?

I'm still learning all this stuff myself (and GSAK).

For now, how about using a BOOKMARK LIST? You can put all your solved puzzles into a bookmark list and run a PQ.

Not sure if this has been talked about before (and yes I have search the forums for the last 30min trying to find anything) but would it be possible to have a ability to change the icons for the cache type just as you can now change the listed co-ords?

Reason being when you have done the puzzle or qualified for a challenge cache then it is essentially just a traditional cache thereafter.

And you could then run a PQ for just trad caches and your solved puzzles would show.

I know this can be done in GSAK but you have to lock the field and then the cache isn't updated when a new PQ is loaded into GSAK so you don't know if the cache has been disabled or archived since you locked the cache details.

I also think it would be easier to just keep the whole process under one site instead of having to run multiple programs to do the same job.

Please if I have posted in the wrong forum or there is already talk about this please point me in the wrong direction.

Learn to use corrected coordinates in GSAK. Like many of the features on the website, the corrected coordinates that GS has implemented is not well thought out and the implementation is broken.

Edited by jholly

Learn to use corrected coordinates in GSAK. Like many of the features on the website, the corrected coordinates that GS has implemented is not well thought out and the implementation is broken.

You didn't read my OP properly, but thanks for your input

Actually I did read your OP. With corrected coordinates in GSAK you don't have to lock anything and changes of status is reflected in the PQ and your corrected coordinates remain unchanged. And you have a nice column to indicate which ones are solved. If your using GSAK might as well use the features as designed.

What makes you say that the implementation is broken. Perhaps it works the way it does by design. :unsure:

I don't recall what the status is but there has been a feature request that should improve corrected coordinates by including a different icon on the map and using some sort of indicator on search results pages to indicated which caches have had user corrected coordinates. Another issue that I just ran into this morning is that I had solved a puzzle, used the corrected coordinates feature, then couldn't tell how far the actual cache was from the published coordinates from the map. When coordinates have been corrected the cache page should still show the original published coordinates as well as the corrected coordinates.

What makes you say that the implementation is broken. Perhaps it works the way it does by design. :unsure:

I don't recall what the status is but there has been a feature request that should improve corrected coordinates by including a different icon on the map and using some sort of indicator on search results pages to indicated which caches have had user corrected coordinates. Another issue that I just ran into this morning is that I had solved a puzzle, used the corrected coordinates feature, then couldn't tell how far the actual cache was from the published coordinates from the map. When coordinates have been corrected the cache page should still show the original published coordinates as well as the corrected coordinates.

It's broken because it is not evenly and across the board implemented. You correct the coordinates on a cache page. You can download the changed coordinates directly to your GPS. You run a PQ or download a GPX file and you get the changed coordinates. You run a refresh or get cache data with the API and you get the original coordinates. I call that broken or at least inconsistent. And that is the reason I do not use the correction for ? caches on the cache page but still use the GSAK feature of corrected coordinates. I find them also useful for traditional caches that have bad coordinates that the owners refuses to fix but others have posted in their logs. That is not available on the cache page. And yes, they should show both the original and corrected coordinates on the cache page, in the PQ and in the API results. Then it is consistent and not broken.

Another example is the personal note on the cache page. You can't get it with a PQ but you can get it with an API call. Never looked at it for download to the GPS, but the macro I use to load my GPS will include it as a first log.

Actually I did read your OP. With corrected coordinates in GSAK you don't have to lock anything and changes of status is reflected in the PQ and your corrected coordinates remain unchanged. And you have a nice column to indicate which ones are solved. If your using GSAK might as well use the features as designed.

And.

If you use the Special Tags (I use an edit tag of %correct=* %smart when sending to my GPS) and the names read *smartname for corrected and smartname for non-corrected caches.