Trilateration Cache

TnTDaws

Fizzy Calc is a very handy program, but it doesn't do trilateration.

FizzyCalc doesn't explicitly solve the problem, that's true, but I use it all the time to trilaterate via successive refined guesses. I use both the distance tool and the projection tool, depending on how the problem is presentated. Not elegant, but it gets the job done.

Google Earth does reasonably. Use the ruler and some map pins. Apply them to the known locations and use a unit scale that matches for the ruler. Juggle free end pins a bit and you have it.

That works for lots of problems loosely referred to as 'triangulation' (probably improper use) but involving 3 distances from known points, or to known points and so forth. Some of us made an Excel worksheet that can do some mathematically well, but I had the answer with the GE tools faster. But then I didn't handle the math part well. That one was for calculating the circumcenter of a circle though, not a true trilateration problem. However you have to have a broad mind since there are many circle / triangle involved cache puzzles and a bunch more variants... on famously uses a simulated LORAN system to solve. So the puzzle guys will be ahead of you if you let them... more fun.

Doug 7rxc