Do I Need to Replace My Magellan SportTrak?

Hello, I'm very new to geocaching, but have made a couple finds on my daily perambulations using what is about a ten (10) year old Magellan SportTrak Pro. It doesn't seem to feature the best accuracy, though that might well be the operator .. as an example my front porch varies 20 feet or so day to day. It did have a substantial hard fall a couple years back, but it clearly shows tracks & the functions which I use are ok.

Since this one is paid for, with both DC power cable, serial cable for the PC, Mapquest Topo & Mapquest Send, etc .. I wanted to ask if there was any point in looking around for a new unit? Is there an improvement in accuracy with the newer units, more ability to store data downloads from Geocaching (all I get is a one-liner title & coordinates), better readability, anything?

Thanks in advance, I'm planning on placing my first cache but thought before I do I'd see if it would be advisable to wait for a new unit? And, lastly, my cell phone isn't nearly smart so an app isn't a viable option

Garyg51

Garyg51

Yes, you will see an improvement in accuracy, but the biggest change/upgrade that you're going to see if the paperless caching capabilities in the new units. For example, a starter unit like the Magellan GC, which is made specifically for Geocaching will hold the information for 10,000 Geocaches which include: ID, Name, Description including pictures, Hints, size, difficulty and so on. Plus, you can log the caches as found and enter your comments right on the GPS and then upload the created logs.txt file to GC.com as field notes. The higher end units like the eX310 also include the capabilities for routing as well as loading limited additional maps. The “Touch” units, eXplorist 510, 610 and 710 are full function high end units with touch screens. The eX710 comes preloaded with a worldwide base map, Summit Series 24K TOPOs of the entire US as well as the City Series road routable maps for the entire US; which allow this unit to replace the GPS you use in your car! At the push of a couple of buttons you can switch from Road Routing mode to hiking mode to Geocaching mode. The touch series units also have a Geotagging Camera, Video Camera and Voice recorder. The higher end “touch” units also include a micro SD slot which will allow you to add up to 32Gb of additional storage and using the Vantage Point Software you can purchase subscriptions to download unlimited Nat Geo TOPOs as well as Digital Globe Satellite maps. You can also use Mobile Atlas Creature or TritonRMP to create your own custom maps or you can also download maps from Maps4Me.com.

David

Magellan Insider

Welcome to the forums!

No you don't really need to replace your gps unit. Many cachers use older units and still find lots of caches with them. The newer units have a lot of bells and whistles that are fun and more sensitive chips.

I'd suggest you find a bunch of caches with the unit that you have now. After finding at least 100 caches you will see how accurate or inaccurate you current unit is. I see that you have found caches that I have also found so I assume that you are in SE Michigan. We have a lot of little events here so if you go to some of the meet and greets you can talk to other cachers about their units to see what they like about each brand before you decide if you want to upgrade and to which model. I have a lowrance and a garmin and could show you the + and - of both if you like...

First, thanks for all the replies ..

Garyg51Yes, you will see an improvement in accuracy, but the biggest change/upgrade that you're going to see if the paperless caching capabilities in the new units. For example, a starter unit like the Magellan GC, which is made specifically for Geocaching will hold the information for 10,000 Geocaches which include: ID, Name, Description including pictures, Hints, size, difficulty and so on. Plus, you can log the caches as found and enter your comments right on the GPS and then upload the created logs.txt file to GC.com as field notes. The higher end units like the eX310 also include the capabilities for routing as well as loading limited additional maps. The Touch units, eXplorist 510, 610 and 710 are full function high end units with touch screens. The eX710 comes preloaded with a worldwide base map, Summit Series 24K TOPOs of the entire US as well as the City Series road routable maps for the entire US; which allow this unit to replace the GPS you use in your car! At the push of a couple of buttons you can switch from Road Routing mode to hiking mode to Geocaching mode. The touch series units also have a Geotagging Camera, Video Camera and Voice recorder. The higher end touch units also include a micro SD slot which will allow you to add up to 32Gb of additional storage and using the Vantage Point Software you can purchase subscriptions to download unlimited Nat Geo TOPOs as well as Digital Globe Satellite maps. You can also use Mobile Atlas Creature or TritonRMP to create your own custom maps or you can also download maps from Maps4Me.com.DavidMagellan Insider

David - thanks, I had tried looking at your company's PDF brochure, not sure yet which, if any of the add ons are going to be important to me, the camera for example .. can you tell me objectively how much more accurate your new models are vs the older ones (my Sportrac specifically)?

Welcome to the forums!No you don't really need to replace your gps unit. Many cachers use older units and still find lots of caches with them. The newer units have a lot of bells and whistles that are fun and more sensitive chips.I'd suggest you find a bunch of caches with the unit that you have now. After finding at least 100 caches you will see how accurate or inaccurate you current unit is. I see that you have found caches that I have also found so I assume that you are in SE Michigan. We have a lot of little events here so if you go to some of the meet and greets you can talk to other cachers about their units to see what they like about each brand before you decide if you want to upgrade and to which model. I have a lowrance and a garmin and could show you the + and - of both if you like...

Thanks Lady Bee - yep, all my finds are within walking distance, thought maybe geocaching would be a fun (and so far it is) add on to my daily walks. And, since I did find a couple "non-beginner" caches I realize that the SportTrac works, somewhat. Where do I find out about the meet & greets abouts here? I tried today getting out early, before the heat & bugs, but was skunked ..

I have a couple of SportTracs....great units.....been a real long time since I had one out.I believe they have 3 axis compasses....be sure you calibrate it every time you change batteries as the compass will affect your accuracy.

Thanks Bamboozle, I don't seem to be able to find either the compass type or instructions on calibration in my paperwork, can you recall what needs to be done?

Edited by garyg51

On the Meridian you select Menu, Setup, Compass Calibrate. It will instruct you to lay the unit on its back and rotate it slowly in direction of arrow than to turn it on its face until it beeps. When I get home I'll see if thats true, I think it is.

Thanks - I don't have a pick on mine in Menu, Setup for Compass - closest one is Initialize & ? that's for another purpose? Or maybe that's it?

First, thanks for all the replies .

Welcome to the forums!No you don't really need to replace your gps unit. Many cachers use older units and still find lots of caches with them. The newer units have a lot of bells and whistles that are fun and more sensitive chips.I'd suggest you find a bunch of caches with the unit that you have now. After finding at least 100 caches you will see how accurate or inaccurate you current unit is. I see that you have found caches that I have also found so I assume that you are in SE Michigan. We have a lot of little events here so if you go to some of the meet and greets you can talk to other cachers about their units to see what they like about each brand before you decide if you want to upgrade and to which model. I have a lowrance and a garmin and could show you the + and - of both if you like...

Thanks Lady Bee - yep, all my finds are within walking distance, thought maybe geocaching would be a fun (and so far it is) add on to my daily walks. And, since I did find a couple "non-beginner" caches I realize that the SportTrac works, somewhat. Where do I find out about the meet & greets abouts here? I tried today getting out early, before the heat & bugs, but was skunked ..

You can go to your profile and on the right side click the link that shows the newest in Michigan. Or go to where you look for caches on gc.com Play-->Hide & Seek A Cache and plug in your zip code. Then look for the event icon. In South Lyon there is a meet and greet every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at Bigby's and there is also one in Canton and in Southfield once per month at Panera's. A new meet and greet in Livonia in a couple of weeks.......Let me know if you are going and I could bring my units if I have that day free

I have a couple of SportTracs....great units.....been a real long time since I had one out.

I believe they have 3 axis compasses....be sure you calibrate it every time you change batteries as the compass will affect your accuracy.

From what I read the SporTrack Pro does NOT have a 3 axis compass and is, in fact, almost identical in makeup to the Meridian Gold.

Only the Platinum in the Meridian Series had the 3-axis electronic compass.

I have a couple of SportTracs....great units.....been a real long time since I had one out.

I believe they have 3 axis compasses....be sure you calibrate it every time you change batteries as the compass will affect your accuracy.

From what I read the SporTrack Pro does NOT have a 3 axis compass and is, in fact, almost identical in makeup to the Meridian Gold.

Only the Platinum in the Meridian Series had the 3-axis electronic compass.

I appreciate the helping hand, thanks

My first GPS was a Sportrak Pro. I found a lot of caches with it. I migrated to the Garmin 60Cs because I wanted Auto Routing.. This was a great time saver for me since I cached all over the western US while working and was not familier with the streets etc. I went from there to a 60CX which is still working fine but cant get it away from my son. I recently purchased a 62S and am encountering a bit of a learning curve since Garmin changed the way their units work. As far as your question, you don't need to upgrade, but once you upgrade to a unit with auto routing you won't know how you got along without it. Paperless caching is nice also, but you you can live without it.