pocket queries and iphone

Tboy & Egirl

Hi All, just upgraded to premium membership, and have questions about pocket queries, I created on that will tell me if new caches are publicized and I seem to have figured out how it all works. Next we are taking a trip so I did the caches along a route and made a P/Q out of it, the query is now on the Geocaching.com app on my iPhone………..now what? How does this work?

Hi All, just upgraded to premium membership, and have questions about pocket queries, I created on that will tell me if new caches are publicized and I seem to have figured out how it all works. Next we are taking a trip so I did the caches along a route and made a P/Q out of it, the query is now on the Geocaching.com app on my iPhone………..now what? How does this work?

If the PQ successfully went to the iPhone, then at the bottom of the main page click the "Pocket Queries" tab. This should show you the PQ that you generated (whatever you named it), how many caches it contains, and when it was generated. Click on that, you get the option to "Save for Offline Use". You can save just the cache info, or the cache info and the maps as well (will take a lot longer to download maps, I'd suggest doing it over WiFi if you can. I usually check Off for the maps...I normally have my Garmin Oregon with me anyway).

Once you download the caches, click "Close". Now, at the bottom of any screen you'll see a series of tabs..."Search", "Saved", "Logs", and "Trackables". Select "Saved", it will bring up the PQ as well as any other Saved lists you've created, if any. Select the PQ you downloaded and viola, there you are.

The thing I like about doing it this way is that instead of just getting the nearest 20 caches like when you do a live search, it will show you ALL the caches in your PQ on the map at the same time.

Another advantage is that once you have saved the caches to the phone, you do not need internet access to search for them. The iPhone has an actual GPS chip in it so you have all the cache data and a working GPS...no Web access is needed at this point, so if you're in a poor coverage area you can still cache. I learned this lesson the hard way last summer while I was in Colorado...I had a rare opportunity to travel to the top of Pike's Peak and would have loved to grab a couple of the very few caches that are there. But alas, I failed to generate a PQ and just planned on relying on my iPhone and doing a live search from my location. There is, unfortunately, NO service up on Pike's Peak...I tried in vain to get a signal but no luck...we were all the way back down at the bottom before I managed to get service again. If I had saved those caches on my phone in advance (or even better, on my GPS) I would have had no problems. :rolleyes: