Using Magellan Explorist 500 LE

I recently bought a second hand Explorist 500 and I am having difficulty with a couple things.

Note: I re-set the unit to factory defaults.

Problem 1: the Geocache manager software does not pick up the unit to transfer waypoints. I have connected to the computer properly, the USB File Transfer screen is on, the cord is pointing down the back of the unit, and I have even connected and upgraded the software before. So I know it is connecting properly. But even though it is in file transfer mode the program will not pick up the unit.

Problem 2: How exactly do you manually add waypoints? Is the only option to use the 'mark' method? I have added two this way, but then when I hit 'goto' and search in the geocache folder, it is empty. However, if I go back to the main navigation page, press menu, then go to geocaches folder, they are there. Why can't I just use the 'goto' function to navigate? I am very confused.

Problem 3: Is it possible to navigate to specific road address? I just have the base maps that came with the unit, no extra ones. How would I search for, for example, 23 Main Street, Antigonish, NS, Canada? Or is this unit not capable of doing that? Or do I need different maps?

Problem 4: How do you pre-load POI's?

thanks!

I had a 500 Le for almost 5 years, a good unit if outdated a bit now

I was not able to download single caches from each page using the Send to my GPSr feature either

I used a free and very simple program called Easygps to send pocket queries to my unit

The folders in the GPSr should open and display on your computer as well, open the geocache folder and you can drag and drop cache files or pocket query files that you have downloaded from the site as well.

waypoints need to be manually added with the mark function yes, adding the numbers manually

only files marked or named as a geocache will be in that folder,otherwise added waypoints will be in my POI, points of interest

I recall it was a bit of a confusing folder system as well

this machine will point you in a direction and tell you how far away you are, plus a few other minor details, thats about it.

It comes with a very basic map, I at one point added a memory card with a local detailed map and WOW did it slow the machine down.

That being said its a great geocaching tool, once you get the hang of it.If you looked at a street address say on google earth, got the co ords from that you could add it to your GPSr but it will not guide you street by street, only as the crow flies and the distance left.

as a geocaching tool, to pre load POI,s you can download the gpx or loc file from the cache page, I used the Loc file when i had that unit.If you upgrade your geocaching membership to premium, you will then have the option to make pocket queries of multiple geocache files and drop them all at once via Easygps into your unit.You will not get the hints, logs cache size and diff terrain ratings though, just the co ords and basic description for each cache.But it beats printing it all out or writing it all down, like i did when i started in 07.

any other waypoint can be added manually

I hope this helps, feel free to message me with any questions

cheers and good hunting

TSSR

I am so confused.

I do not know how to put things on my GPS from EasyGPS.

I downloaded the loc files from this site, opened them up in EasyGPS, and then they appear in the bottom box in the program.

But when I go to send, I then have to save them as a .gs file? And it opens up a 'save as' box for me to select a location.

I then tried saving the loc files individually on the GPS as gpx files - saving them in the geocache folder in the GPS. When I open up the GPS as a hard drive (e:) on my computer, there are the following folders: Background maps, detail maps, geocaches, my poi's, routes, and tracklogs (this is opening up the internal memory).

The files are in the Geocache folder but I cannot find them on the GPS.

I am starting to think this GPS was a waste of money.

I am so confused.

I downloaded the loc files from this site, opened them up in EasyGPS, and then they appear in the bottom box in the program.

But when I go to send, I then have to save them as a .gs file? And it opens up a 'save as' box for me to select a location.

I then tried saving the loc files individually on the GPS as gpx files - saving them in the geocache folder in the GPS. When I open up the GPS as a hard drive (e:) on my computer, there are the following folders: Background maps, detail maps, geocaches, my poi's, routes, and tracklogs (this is opening up the internal memory).

Klearity,

I have no idea as to how much to paid for the eXplorist 500LE, but it is a very old GPS has far as GPSrs go today and the support for it has long since past. Since the time when Magellan made the 500 they've produced a line called the Tritons and then returned to a new line of eXplorist with are the GC, 110, 310, 510, 610 and 710; but these units are totally different and support all of the new technology. There are ways to load your 500 and I've checked and GSAK does support this unit. However, for $129 you can buy and brank new eXplorist 110 that is simple and easy and supports routes, tracks, waypoints and up to 500 geocaches and has a simple basemap. You can also step up to the GC for 126 (Amazon) with support 10,000 Geocaches, but it built only for Geocaching. I you want a full features little hand held you have look at the eXplorist 310 for $170 (Amazon) which is simple to use and all of the features of a higher end GPS including routes, track, waypoints and hold upto 10,000 Geocaching as well as having a limited capability to support additional downloaded custom maps. And, of course if you want to go into the higher end you can look at the 510, 610 and 710.

I would recommend taking a look at GSAK and see if it will work for you - if not, you might consider checking out a newer GPS.

David

Magellan Insider

I am so confused.

There are 2 drives in your 500, the internal memory and the SD card. They have the same folders. All data is moved into and out of the unit in the form of a file. So, if you create a file of geocaches, it should be created by a program that can make a .gs format file. And then put into a Geocache folder. Then you go into menu and search for the drive,folder, and file you want to activate. If you cannot get the cable to connect and show you the files, take out the SD card and load the file on it. Try Vantage Point program from magellan to create your .gs files.

Edited by EScout

Klearity,

I have no idea as to how much to paid for the eXplorist 500LE, but it is a very old GPS has far as GPSrs go today and the support for it has long since past. Since the time when Magellan made the 500 they've produced a line called the Tritons and then returned to a new line of eXplorist with are the GC, 110, 310, 510, 610 and 710; but these units are totally different and support all of the new technology. There are ways to load your 500 and I've checked and GSAK does support this unit. However, for $129 you can buy and brank new eXplorist 110 that is simple and easy and supports routes, tracks, waypoints and up to 500 geocaches and has a simple basemap. You can also step up to the GC for 126 (Amazon) with support 10,000 Geocaches, but it built only for Geocaching. I you want a full features little hand held you have look at the eXplorist 310 for $170 (Amazon) which is simple to use and all of the features of a higher end GPS including routes, track, waypoints and hold upto 10,000 Geocaching as well as having a limited capability to support additional downloaded custom maps. And, of course if you want to go into the higher end you can look at the 510, 610 and 710.

I would recommend taking a look at GSAK and see if it will work for you - if not, you might consider checking out a newer GPS.

David

Magellan Insider

The explorist 310 does routes? Not by streets right.

The explorist 310 does routes? Not by streets right.

You are exactly right. You can create and place off road/hiking routes on to the unit and the unit will guide you to each leg of the route. You can also save tracks and then later use them as routes. However, it will not do road routing. For road routing options you have to step up to the eX510, eX610 or eX710. With the eX510 & eX610 you have to purchase the road routable maps as an addition; however, the eX710 comes with the entire US reloaded on it and basically works like a Magellan Roadmate unit when the routing option is enabled.

David

Magellan Insider

Edited by Socal ZukiCachers

Gsak is the most complicated interface in existence, dont.

when you have a downloaded pq or single cache file, drag it into Easy gps.

when you send it, it will open a window, basically asking where do you want to put it.using that window, search through your My Computer files to find your gps, then open that and open geocaches folder.put the files into that folder.

done

I recently bought a second hand Explorist 500 and I am having difficulty with a couple things.

Problem 1: the Geocache manager software does not pick up the unit to transfer waypoints. I have connected to the computer properly, the USB File Transfer screen is on, the cord is pointing down the back of the unit, and I have even connected and upgraded the software before. So I know it is connecting properly. But even though it is in file transfer mode the program will not pick up the unit.

Problem 2: How exactly do you manually add waypoints? Is the only option to use the 'mark' method? I have added two this way, but then when I hit 'goto' and search in the geocache folder, it is empty. However, if I go back to the main navigation page, press menu, then go to geocaches folder, they are there. Why can't I just use the 'goto' function to navigate? I am very confused.

Problem 3: Is it possible to navigate to specific road address? I just have the base maps that came with the unit, no extra ones. How would I search for, for example, 23 Main Street, Antigonish, NS, Canada? Or is this unit not capable of doing that? Or do I need different maps?

thanks!

I have one of those that I bought when it was new. Mine is a back up now but I have the detailed US maps in mine. As I recall I loaded caches into it with GSAK. I think you can down load the instructions from magellans web site, I main hand held is an Explorist 710

thanks!

klearity,

I sparingly use the Explorist 500 that I purchased a few years ago--it's a rather hard unit to use and aside from the community there is little support but I think you're on the right track. A few helpful things I've found:

I used GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), it's shareware and you can donate to the developer if you wish or use it at no cost. You can search a group of caches using this software, save them to your PC, and export them to a .gs file which the Explorist 500/500LE will recognize (it will load the coordinates, cache name, and "hint" from the website. Transferring via the USB cable is simply awful and the driver for this unit is a lost cause (in my opinion, and I have and continue to own Magellan products) and I use the SD card to transfer my files--it works all the time. The USB cable (with charger attachment) are really only useful for charging the battery pack. The newer eXplorist series looks like a lot better product development and a much improved interface, screen, and power consumption--I'm saving for one myself, but til then, my durable and old-fashioned model 500 is still in service.

When you're ready to export your caches (in groups of 200 or less), take the SD card out of the eXplorist (it's under the battery) and put it into the SD card slot or card reader on your PC and when you export the group of caches from GSAK, you can export them right to the Geocaching folder of your SD card from the eXplorist.

Once you replace the SD card and power back up your eXplorist, use the menu to load Points of Interest and select "Geocaches" then use the "Up one level" option til you find "External Storage/SD card", the Geocaches folder will be here and inside will be the .gs files you have exported to it. In a few moments, your cache data will be loaded with all caches in this file.

Normally basemaps (which require the MapSend Program/Data cd that came with this unit) are best loaded using the USB cable--you've just got to get your PC to recognize it or use an SD card to shuttle the data back and forth. The MapSend disk has POIs on it that can be loaded into the eXplorist--just be sure not to load too many (by type) or your tiny screen will be covered in gas stations, ATMs, and restaurants (keep in mind, these maps were likely created 5 or more years ago and some of these points may have changed, but if you're looking for landmarks an abandoned gas station will do just as well as an open one.

This process of converting the file and exporting it to an SD card to load may seem like a pain, but it is only when compared to the newer models that have better drivers, a friendlier interface, and have more compatibility with the Geocaching.com site--which is an evolving process. Before this you had to carry a paper list of caches and key in the lat/lon every time you wanted to go caching and hope you picked the right one.

I'm in the same boat as you and can't afford one of the newer models (yet) for this hobby (I want the eXplorist 310) but will certainly share my opionion when I do.

Best Regards,

thanks!

I just remembered that I broke the data cord for mine a long ago, I have been load to the SD card with an sd card reader and then placing the card back in the GPS. I use GSAK to load the SD card. I am going to being loading some caches for a vacation I am leaving on in a few weeks. I will post the file type that works