Horse flies and deer flies Oh my :)

medwardl

After my first season geocaching I have come to realize I need to do something about horse and deer flies. After some research I have decided to try the blue cup and glue method. Any one know what kind of glue I should use preferably something that comes in a spray can?

Basically the flies are most attracted to moving objects particularly blue, You would use something like a blue solo cup and coat it in some kind of glue like the stuff they use on fly strips. The flies are attracted to the blue cup and get stuck the cups are either attached to a car or to a hat. From what I've found there are only so many adult horse/deer flies in a given area and you can get most of them with this method from what i read.

some kind of glue like the stuff they use on fly strips

google for: deer fly blue cup glue

Here's one where they suggest "Tanglefoot", and that you get it at hardware stores.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1507866/pg1

FWIW, when I see a sort of urban-legend-like thing that has "This Really Works!" in the title, I assume it doesn't really work. And I can think of several reasons not to put a sticky blue cup on my head. But since I've encountered deer flies in the Atlanta area, I do have a head net ready. I'll try the net over my hat, and if that plan doesn't really work, then maybe I'll give the blue cup a try.

Edited by kunarion

I've used head nets too problem then becomes arms and legs I figured this year I'd give this a try and see if it really works as well as people claim.

Trousers, no short pants, with long sleeve shirts, for me this year. They're Permethrin treated (and the hat), currently working impossibly well for ticks, and the plan is they'll be fine for mosquitoes, too. Repellents don't work on deer flies, but if I have no bare arms & legs, deer flies can't do nuthin to me, maybe. Ask me in August if I'm still enjoying the long sleeve shirts. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
I need to do something about horse and deer flies.

I encountered deer flies just out of town today (Fayetteville, Georgia) along a sandy trail in a nature area. So now I can test the techniques.

There's a lot of great info here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Deer-Fly-Traps/

I was thinking of those cheapie tennis racket style handheld "bug zappers" on sale at Harbor freight, and someone suggests that in that thread! They also mention using a tall feather in a hat, or just sticking duct tape, sticky-side-out, to the back of a hat.