Found a Geocache floating in the ocean...

Hi there! I've always thought geocaching sounded like a lot of fun. Maybe this is our first introduction! My husband and 7 year old were out kayaking on the ocean when they found a Geocache bobbing around out there. Inside it says "Replacement Log" Goleta Beach Park, Official Geocache Site Placed by: FRITS73

The little log starts in April 2011 and the last entry was 8 days ago. It is a little green-lidded "tupperware" with a black string on it and there is a magnet in the bottom and a couple little treasures inside.

How do I find out where it is supposed to be located so that we can put it back?

Thanks for any advice! ;)

http://coord.info/GC2A9PB

Here it is: It was placed by frits, replaced last April. The most recent log is 4/23 but some people don't log online right away if ever. Send them an email to see what they want you to do with it.

Sure does.

Very cool story! Thanks for rescuing the cache, clawmarks! If you email the owner, he'll let you know if he wants anything back or not. Looks like Frits73 is still very much an active member.

Thanks friends! I e-mailed the owner. It's a nice little stash...I hope we can get it back where it belongs! It looks to be a popular one. :D

Don't forget to sign the log yourself and record the find on the site here. You will have a very interesting story to tell, thus adding extra flavor to the history of the cache.

Thanks friends! I e-mailed the owner. It's a nice little stash...I hope we can get it back where it belongs! It looks to be a popular one. :D

Don't forget to sign the log yourself and record the find on the site here. You will have a very interesting story to tell, thus adding extra flavor to the history of the cache.

Also, be sure to post the co-ordinates where you found it!

Almost as amazing as someone up near Sacramento finding a cache in a lot which was supposed to be for divers in the Monterey Bay, about 150 miles away. Funny how these things get around.

I was walking by a pay phone shell, (no phone), and reached up into it by pure habit, and came up with a magnetic Altoids. From the log, I could tell it was from a cache that was hidden about 60 miles away. The cache was archived because the object it was hidden on disappeared, 3-1/2 years ago. I signed the log and logged my find.

HAHA...yeah, I liked the bird poop warning...but it gives me a pretty good hint as to where it belongs since I know the pier pretty well. :P It might have to be our first legitimate find after we know it's back in place! Here's the rest of the story...I contacted the owner and he happens to be in France at the moment so I asked if I could give the cache to someone or mail it somewhere. Keep in mind, I've never geocached before and this thing was in the ocean and I have no idea who I'm e-mailing. Turns out my son's little friend is taking care of his lawn and mail while he's away!! It's not THAT small a town!!

HAHA...yeah, I liked the bird poop warning...but it gives me a pretty good hint as to where it belongs since I know the pier pretty well. :P It might have to be our first legitimate find after we know it's back in place! Here's the rest of the story...I contacted the owner and he happens to be in France at the moment so I asked if I could give the cache to someone or mail it somewhere. Keep in mind, I've never geocached before and this thing was in the ocean and I have no idea who I'm e-mailing. Turns out my son's little friend is taking care of his lawn and mail while he's away!! It's not THAT small a town!!

I've done geocaches where almost every log mentioned bird (more specifically, goose) poop but the there was nothing on the cache page about it.

I swear, the best geoaching stories posted in the forums are often from "former" non-geocachers that stumbled upon a cache and come here to find out what to do with it. I don't think I can recall someone finding one floating in the ocean though but there have been cases of caches found that floated down a river after a flood and one that floated across one of the great lakes.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I've done geocaches where almost every log mentioned bird (more specifically, goose) poop but the there was nothing on the cache page about it.

I swear, the best geoaching stories posted in the forums are often from "former" non-geocachers that stumbled upon a cache and come here to find out what to do with it. I don't think I can recall someone finding one floating in the ocean though but there have been cases of caches found that floated down a river after a flood and one that floated across one of the great lakes.

Great stories. Love it!