I'm missing something

wonnder1

So we went out today, and Geocaching was a fail... Unless you consider having to dial 911 for Mike who had bad choice of summer time drinking (listerene) but great eye for our fashion choices.

We get the the spot, according to the GPS, went to 4 different caches, and didn't find a thing. Is there a trick to this? I don't want to pay for anything if I don't like it, and although Mike was an interesting diversion, the odds of dialing 911 for a drunk at 1 in the afternoon are most likely very slim, even in Sarnia.

So we went out today, and Geocaching was a fail... Unless you consider having to dial 911 for Mike who had bad choice of summer time drinking (listerene) but great eye for our fashion choices.

We get the the spot, according to the GPS, went to 4 different caches, and didn't find a thing. Is there a trick to this? I don't want to pay for anything if I don't like it, and although Mike was an interesting diversion, the odds of dialing 911 for a drunk at 1 in the afternoon are most likely very slim, even in Sarnia.

What kind of GPS are you using? What size caches were you looking for (actual GC #'s could help)? How did you get the coordinates into the GPS? How long have you had the GPS, and how familiar are you with the way it operates? Is the GPS brand new out of the box, or could someone have changed the settings before you got it? Were you looking for Traditional caches, or Multi/Puzzle caches? At this point we have no way of knowing if you were close to the caches and just didn't see them, or if your GPS had you in the wrong area.

Some common mistakes that noobs make when they're just starting out (in no particular order):

- Not reading the cache description, particularly as it pertains to cache size. Not all caches are ammo cans in the woods, there are a lot of micros out there, and they can be very well hidden....sometimes fiendishly so. You'll have to learn to look under, on top of, behind, inside and around things that may be there. Some micros are magnetic, they may be stuck to metal objects in the vicinity. Also, new cachers really don't get just how TINY a micro can be...like the size of a pencil eraser (may be referred to as a "nano" in the cache description, although this is not an "official" size). They can be very tricky to find even for experienced cachers. Check out the Cool Cache Containers thread for some examples of how evil some hides can be.

-Expecting the GPS to put you right on top of the cache. Commercial GPS units are only accurate to about 10-20 feet, even under the best conditions...sometimes not even that close, depending on cloud and tree cover, signal bounce from tall buildings or canyon walls, and how inaccurate the hider's coordinates may have been in the first place. Once your GPS gets you to within about 10 feet or so, it's done all it's going to do...put it away and start searching not for the cache (you probably won't see it just so), but rather for likely hiding spots where a container that size could be concealed.

-Hunting for micros first time out. Like I said, micros can be very well hidden....you might want to start out with Regulars and Smalls till you get a feel for this.

-Not being familiar with using a GPSr. Make sure your GPS is configured correctly and using the proper coordinate format...there are several different formats used for identifying one's location on the planet, and most GPSr's can be set up to work with any of them....make sure yours is set to the same format that GC.com's listings are (decimal degrees). Wrong format setting can put you WAAAAY off the mark.

Read the recent logs, too....if the cache has been found many times but the last 2 or 3 attempts were DNF (Did Not Find), then the cache may actually be missing. Also, sometimes recent finders comments can inadvertently give you clues as to where or how the cache is hidden.

If all else fails, don't hesitate to use the hint if one is provided, there's no dishonor in it. If that still doesn't get it, try contacting the cache owner for additional help....most CO's will gladly give befuddled cachers (especially newbies) a nudge in the right direction.

Good luck, let us know when you score a smiley! :)

It also helps if you zoom in as much as possible on your GPS. (Why yes, I did just discover this, why do you ask? :P )

Do you mean zooming in so you can see the difference between your current location and the cache? Most (all?) devices have settings that will display the distance and direction from your current location to the cache. What device are you using?

It also helps if you zoom in as much as possible on your GPS. (Why yes, I did just discover this, why do you ask? :P )

Do you mean zooming in so you can see the difference between your current location and the cache? Most (all?) devices have settings that will display the distance and direction from your current location to the cache. What device are you using?

Yeah. I do better with visuals than numbers, though, so when I zoomed in to about 50 feet visible on the display, suddenly it worked SO MUCH BETTER at GZ! (I feel pretty dumb about it, but hey, if by mentioning it I can make it easier for other people, including those who are so smart they're dumb sometimes like I am, it's all good. :) ) I've got a fairly old GPS, a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx I got from a pawn shop, nicknamed the Etch A Sketch. It does what we need, even if I'd like to upgrade. :P

(It's not the GPS in this particular case, it really is me.)

Thanks for the advice, but really-I think it's just me.

We started looking about 50 ft out. We were looking for something described as a LARGE black box that required no "bushwacking." That had been found by about a million and a half people on a trail I am very familiar with.

1 out of the 3 I was with said they'd try again. So, I'll try again. At least I got a good long walk out of it. Also, Mike the Listerine drunk was a story I will tell my grandchildren when I'm old and inappropriate.

We started looking about 50 ft out. We were looking for something described as a LARGE black box that required no "bushwacking." That had been found by about a million and a half people on a trail I am very familiar with.

1 out of the 3 I was with said they'd try again. So, I'll try again. At least I got a good long walk out of it. Also, Mike the Listerine drunk was a story I will tell my grandchildren when I'm old and inappropriate.

The other day I had 5 DNfs....in a row!!! It happens. Don't feel bad. (ok. On that day, I felt really bad!)

And you know, the cache you were looking for may very well be missing after all..

I couldn't find anything my first time out either. My daughter and I went in shorts and sandals to a mosquito infested woodlot and looked for a cache for about an hour before giving up. We then went to search for another cache off a rail trail and also came up empty. I seriously considered the notion that this geocaching thing was just a big hoax (back in 2006 this was a very "underground" game)and that there were really no boxes hidden in the woods.

Well, we tried again the next day anyway, and finally found our first cache. What a rush! Once you get the first few finds under your belt it will get easier as you see how caches are hidden, types of containers and camo used, and how far you sometimes have to search from where the coords take you to where you actually find the cache.

Me and my son found the first GC we looked for and were pretty pumped about it. This was followed by 2 failures and then another find (a micro even). Since then we have had 2 failures including one that was found recently.

These are ranked 1-5 for terrain and difficulty, can someone give me an idea, maybe by example where a 1 star difficulty would be as well as a 2, 3, 4 and 5 star?

I am using a Garmin Dakota 10, how accurate is this unit? I think I am taking the GPS results too literally, it tells me I am within 2 feet and that is where I look, I think that I need to widen my search.

SN95GT50

I couldn't find anything my first time out either. My daughter and I went in shorts and sandals to a mosquito infested woodlot and looked for a cache for about an hour before giving up. We then went to search for another cache off a rail trail and also came up empty. I seriously considered the notion that this geocaching thing was just a big hoax (back in 2006 this was a very "underground" game)and that there were really no boxes hidden in the woods.

Well, we tried again the next day anyway, and finally found our first cache. What a rush! Once you get the first few finds under your belt it will get easier as you see how caches are hidden, types of containers and camo used, and how far you sometimes have to search from where the coords take you to where you actually find the cache.

I think I am taking the GPS results too literally, it tells me I am within 2 feet and that is where I look, I think that I need to widen my search.

This seems to be the most common reason why new cachers have trouble finding caches. Due to inaccuracies in both your GPS and that of the hider, the cache will rarely be EXACTLY at the spot where your GPS gets to 0. Depending on many factors (tree cover, nearby buildings, etc.), the coordinates could be off by as much as 30 feet, and even more in some rare cases. You can follow the GPS to get as close to 0 as possible, but once you're within about 30 feet or so, you need to stop looking at the GPS and start looking around for possible hiding spots. Put away the GPS and start using your eyes. With time you'll start to learn the common ways to hide things. Also keep in mind the name of the cache, the hint (if given), the size (are you looking for a tiny hiding spot or a massive one?), and any other relevant information from the description (some owners used to put hints in the description, but not in the hint field).

And don't worry about logging a DNF. It isn't any kind of penalty (though some seem to treat it that way). It's just a recording of the fact that you attempted to find it, but didn't. It feels great to go back and later find a cache you previously DNFed!

Me and my son found the first GC we looked for and were pretty pumped about it. This was followed by 2 failures and then another find (a micro even). Since then we have had 2 failures including one that was found recently.

These are ranked 1-5 for terrain and difficulty, can someone give me an idea, maybe by example where a 1 star difficulty would be as well as a 2, 3, 4 and 5 star?

I am using a Garmin Dakota 10, how accurate is this unit? I think I am taking the GPS results too literally, it tells me I am within 2 feet and that is where I look, I think that I need to widen my search.

SN95GT50

In short, yes you are taking your GPSr (results) too literally.

It is only going to take you to the AREA of the cache (in reality, the area of the listed coordinates). The Dakota series is as accurate as any other current production GPSr -- it's not actually accuracy that you want, it is consistency that you want.

The true importance of a GPSr in finding geocaches ranks third in line; your brain and eyes are #1 and #2 in ability to find geocaches -- remember, it only takes you to the area of the coordinates. When there, put the unit away and start using your brain and eyes. THAT is the way to find the geocache.

Difficulty ratings are subjective....

D1 usually means that one confined to a wheelchair can find (and reach) the cache;

D5 usually means that you will take a LONG time to locate the cache (which may well include multiple hunts/searches).

Some common mistakes that noobs make when they're just starting out (in no particular order):

... depending on cloud and tree cover ...

A common misconception is that cloud cover and other weather conditions has an effect on the GPS signals. This may stem from the fact that satellite TV is effected by severely heavy cloud cover and rain. But the two systems use different frequency ranges. The frequency range that the GPS system uses isn't effect by cloud cover or rain.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

[

Difficulty ratings are subjective....

D1 usually means that one confined to a wheelchair can find (and reach) the cache;

D5 usually means that you will take a LONG time to locate the cache (which may well include multiple hunts/searches).

Let's not confuse Difficulty with Terrain. T1 means that a cacher in a wheelchair can physically access the cache site and reach the cache...the Difficulty rating denotes how hard the cache is to find, not necessarily to reach.

Some advice we posted last fall when we were brand new. 150 finds later I'm not changing a word.

1) Hard to believe, but here's one we never imagined until an experienced cacher told us after 2 attempts - 'Lift the nearby lamp post skirt'. So, lift the lamp post skirt, turn over the rock, look in the tree stump, tree notch, tug on the fence finial, see if the bark is loose on the fallen tree etc.

2) Try for some kid friendly caches with a big container who's hint is 'stump'. Funny how this got our confidence way up.

3) Try for some easy lamp post caches being mindful of #1.

4) Bring, borrow some kids. My 2 elementary age boys are in the right age for 'hide and seek'. (Kindergartener got two of our finds yesterday!) So, sometimes its best to think like a kid.

5) GPSr merely brings you to the scene, it does NOT solve the crime. You do!

6) For a harder find, we put something at 'initial GZ' and walk toward it from several other directions from 10-15 ft away leaving something at those points. These intersecting lines usually give a better sense of the 'true GZ'. Then do #7

7) Walk back 10-15 feet from the presumed GZ and scrutinze where would be a good hiding place. It may be 10 or more feet away!

8) Events with instructed caching for noobs are wonderful. Even better when the kids score a geocoin for attending!

9) If you have a smartphone too, download the appropriate geocaching.com app and consider using both the phone and the GPSr. We found our 1st cache with the smartphone. (usually not in my possession) Besides my Garmin, we also happen to have a Geomate 'for the kids'. (usually vice versa it seems) It or the smartphone often confirms GZ for us. Sometimes due to differing indications of GZ it reminds us to be more 'open minded' about where the cache might actually be.

10) Our most recent tidbit - Don't believe every log you read or picture you see. 'The cache is visible from the road' doesn't necessarily mean that it is actually 'visible from the road'. GZ was, but the cache sure wasn't.

11) Sometimes hints are 'hints', sometimes they are 'clever hints'.

12) Buy 'The Complete Idiot's Guide to Geocaching' and read it. We did and it helped!

13) Micros & nanos are often defying gravity due to magnets.

14) It won't help with the find, but may make the DNF more bearable - Learn what poison ivy & its friends look like. 'Be very wary of vines that are hairy'

While playing in the park with the kids today I actually met someone. (Hard to miss walking around with a gps, and how awesome was the picking up garbage while you do it?) Apparently, the largest one that we couldn't find required *reaching under the bridge into the rotten wood.* So, I don't feel bad, because *that* is never going to happen. I guess I thought they'd be hidden in a more accessible location that didn't require elbow length gloves or in my case a hazmat suit.

We'll go again, mostly cause I like walking in the woods.

While playing in the park with the kids today I actually met someone. (Hard to miss walking around with a gps, and how awesome was the picking up garbage while you do it?) Apparently, the largest one that we couldn't find required *reaching under the bridge into the rotten wood.* So, I don't feel bad, because *that* is never going to happen. I guess I thought they'd be hidden in a more accessible location that didn't require elbow length gloves or in my case a hazmat suit.

We'll go again, mostly cause I like walking in the woods.

It's always a good idea to carry a pair of work gloves when caching....they'll handle about 99% of the nasty icky stuff you may have to deal with directly, like rooting around in an old log or tree stump, reaching into a thorny bush, searching a rusty structure or any number of other situations. I also prefer to wear long pants for similar reasons. As far as the rest goes, well, sometimes you're just going to get dirty. That's when you know you're having fun, just like when you were a kid :)

The other day I had 5 DNfs....in a row!!! It happens. Don't feel bad. (ok. On that day, I felt really bad!)

A few years ago I took fathers day off and planned on spending the entire day geocaching (a rare occurrence for me) and started the day off with 5 DNFs in a row, though one of them I was actually able to touch the container before I knocked it into a nook in a rock wall to a spot beyond my reach.