Need help with talks toaster maps and etrx 30

I have tried in the past to download a map and install it on my extrex 30 but I have really no idea which maps is best and the installation process. Its all alien to me. Could someone tell me with a link to the best map to download and how to install it on my etrex. I currently don't have a memorry card for it and thought that the internal memory will be big enough.

Cheers

I recently downloaded the 'Experimental' map as this is closest to OS map standard, had a bit of trouble during the download (I think due to internet connection speed it kept timing out) but eventually got the zip file saved on my computer, then had to unzip the file and then saved it onto the etrex as per the FAQ's on talkytoaster website as per previous post. Once on this map is much better than the standard map that came preloaded onto the unit.

Hi,

It is quite straightforward.

I have tried in the past to download a map and install it on my extrex 30 but I have really no idea which maps is best and the installation process. Its all alien to me. Could someone tell me with a link to the best map to download and how to install it on my etrex. I currently don't have a memorry card for it and thought that the internal memory will be big enough.

The internal memory on the Etrex 30 should be plenty, the basic technique is as follows:

1. Simply download the file you are interested in [which is a zip file]

2. Unzip it, and save the unzipped file as GMAPSUPP.IMG

3. Then upload it to your Garmin [make sure you have sufficient storage space first]. It MUST be placed in the GARMIN folder on the internal memory or MicroSD card.

4. Disconnect the Etrex in the usual manner.

5. Turn it on and the map should auto-load.

6. Enjoy!

Regards,

Martin

ive downloaded the experimental maps with contours and when i try to unzip it with winzip it says i dont have the permission too. dont know what all thats about. please help i want my new maps installed by sunday when i got out caching. if someone could post a direct link on here to which file is best to use it would help a lot.

cheers

ive downloaded the experimental maps with contours and when i try to unzip it with winzip it says i dont have the permission too. dont know what all thats about. please help i want my new maps installed by sunday when i got out caching. if someone could post a direct link on here to which file is best to use it would help a lot.

cheers

I use 7-zip as the unzipping tool, its free so why not give it a try. I've never had a problem using it with TT's maps. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.