One A Day Challange

OK so I am not a premium yet but if I am still cache hunting in two months as hard I am now, I am going to jump all over it. I have heard of a One A Day for a year challenge you can enter, and this seems like a fun idea. Also let me say that without light post caches this challenge would be much much harder. I can not find this challenge, is it one only available to Premiums? So my other question is if I join in 2 months and start this challenge will I get retro credit for the consecutive days i've already had? Also I lost 3 days (no big deal really) because a cache wasn't there, I will make sure I read logs before I go after a cache if its the only one i am able to get that day. Thanks for the responses.

P.S. Yes I know that $30 a year is not expensive, but considering how much money i've thrown away on previous hobbies you would understand my hesitation.

OK so I am not a premium yet but if I am still cache hunting in two months as hard I am now, I am going to jump all over it. I have heard of a One A Day for a year challenge you can enter, and this seems like a fun idea. Also let me say that without light post caches this challenge would be much much harder. I can not find this challenge, is it one only available to Premiums? So my other question is if I join in 2 months and start this challenge will I get retro credit for the consecutive days i've already had? Also I lost 3 days (no big deal really) because a cache wasn't there, I will make sure I read logs before I go after a cache if its the only one i am able to get that day. Thanks for the responses.

P.S. Yes I know that $30 a year is not expensive, but considering how much money i've thrown away on previous hobbies you would understand my hesitation.

I think you may be confusing Challenge Caches with Challenges this thread is for Challenges). What you describe is a Challenge Cache, a different topic. I do not know the link, BUT... depending on when the challenge cache was created, it could be grandfathered from the new rules that state the owner must accept previous "finds" from the geocacher. Grandfathered challenge caches CAN (and some do) say you can only count finds posted after the cache was created. But still, your previous finds might still be after the publication date, so it could all work out well anyway.

Good luck!

Challenge caches are available to all members, Premium or not.

I see that you have finds in Tennessee, so I'm assuming that the Challenge Cache you're seeking is also in Tennessee.

I did a google search, and found this bookmark list for Challenge Caches in TN:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=9e1e1d57-cde4-47d6-a3d6-90e062715789

I don't know if that bookmark list is comprehensive or updated.

From that list, this one looks like it might be one that you're interested in:

GC2GQXZ Every Day of the Year Challenge

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=80029f7e-3615-42f0-9403-5f28cf454288

B.

Typically, a 'one-a-day challenge' is just a regular cache (called a challenge cache) that you can log when you meet the requirements as stated on the cache page. You will have to refer to the exact listing for any 'rules', but generally I don't think it will matter if you were a premium member for all your finds, they should count regardless.

There are actually possibly two different challenges that are commonly discussed:

1.) A 'streak' type of challenge, where you need to get a cache for xxx days IN A ROW.

2.) A 'calendar grid' or 366 day challenge, where you need to get a cache on each date of the calendar, but not necessarily in the same year.

Once again confusion caused by the unfortunate choice in naming this feature the way they did. *sigh*

Totally agree on this. Why indeed. Whether GS/Jeremy likes the unknown challenges or not, calling the new challenges this name only made things more confusing.

Once again confusion caused by the unfortunate choice in naming this feature the way they did. *sigh*

Totally agree on this. Why indeed. Whether GS/Jeremy likes the unknown challenges or not, calling the new challenges this name only made things more confusing.

Back before they rolled ou the "Challenges" they said Virtuals were coming back -- then this is what we got. I'd say confusion is possible, considering at least one party to the conversation.

I rather like the Unknown challenges people place, as you earn a smiley and get to relate your wonderful experience, with pictures, where other geocachers are going to see them (in a cache log, duh.)

As to finding at least one cache each day for an entire year, do not underestimate the difficulty of this. Anyone taking it on may be assuming health, business travel, family and weather will all provide smooth skating. I recently passed 1,000 consecutive days with at least one find, which most days was pretty easy. But there were also those days where nothing seemed to go right (DNF, DNF, DNF tick.tick.tick.as midnight approaches, torents of rain, unable to use car, etc.) It's a great challenge and quite rewarding to complete.

Typically, a 'one-a-day challenge' is just a regular cache (called a challenge cache) that you can log when you meet the requirements as stated on the cache page. You will have to refer to the exact listing for any 'rules', but generally I don't think it will matter if you were a premium member for all your finds, they should count regardless.

There are actually possibly two different challenges that are commonly discussed:

1.) A 'streak' type of challenge, where you need to get a cache for xxx days IN A ROW.

2.) A 'calendar grid' or 366 day challenge, where you need to get a cache on each date of the calendar, but not necessarily in the same year.

That's sucks that I started geocaching again in March. I have to wait four years to complete that one....

That's sucks that I started geocaching again in March. I have to wait four years to complete that one....

Yep -- that is why caching this past Leap Day was so popular and many people went to events or got a cache that day.

Yep -- that is why caching this past Leap Day was so popular and many people went to events or got a cache that day.

I'll bet there's at least one of these challenges in every State, and I'll bet multiple cases in some States. I can tell you the one 15 miles from my house allows you to have found a cache PLACED on a February 29th. Just for laughs, I looked, and I have 4 of them.

Hey, it could be worse. They could have called them Waymarks. :laughing:

call them Unknown Challenges.

Or call the new Challenges "Adventure Challenges".

call them Unknown Challenges.

Or call the new Challenges "Adventure Challenges".

Awhile back someone asked about Challenge caches but called them "Achievement Caches" which, to me, is actually a better name for Challenge caches and would have avoided the confusion with Challenges.

When we first had published our 58 county challenge in California, we referred to it as a compilation cache on Podcacher. It was created in the same spirit as Haicoole's Northern California DeLorme Map cache that challenged seekers to find a cache for each page, then find the final. The term Challenge Cache came along later and was used to describe a series of challenge caches placed in Northern California near Sacramento. That term caught on versus compilation or achievement so it became the standard. These new virtuals that Groundspeak labeled Challenges really are not since they don't require a hider to do it first or involve anything significant to accomplish other than visiting the location and performing an action. Agree with other posters, the lackeys and staff should have polled the community on what to call these new virtuals as it does add confusion by adopting a label that was already in use by this community.

For what it is worth, would prefer they change the name to something that isn't used by the community to truly constitute a new creation. In describing this to another cacher, I used the term nudges because they nudge you to visit a location and perform an action. Perhaps Nudges doesn't sound as cool as challenges, but it's available and would not have caused confusion in the community. It just seems a better label for this new type of virtual cache that doesn't require much effort. As good stewards of the geocaching game, they should support the game's creative evolution, not force it a direction that causes confusion with the community.

Cache on!