Publishing a cache

lipoman

I have just published a geocache with the new on-line form.

I have had over 100 Geocaches published with old one and found this new layout to be a bit cumbersome.

My major stumbling block was entering the degrees for the co-ords, I found on Google that using shift-8 give the * sign will work and it does.

The other was the Cache Description saying I had exceeded 500 characters when I had not. In the end I left that field blank so I could move on.

On the HINT section the default is for NO, this should be YES so people think about adding a hint to make up for the 5 meter error on co-ords.

My major stumbling block was entering the degrees for the co-ords, I found on Google that using shift-8 give the * sign will work and it does.

You don't need to enter the ° symbol. Even though the form lists only 4 formats, it accepts many more. I just tried it with the common format HDD MM.MMM, such as "N48 25.500 W123 25.500", and it worked just fine without the ° symbol.

The other was the Cache Description saying I had exceeded 500 characters when I had not. In the end I left that field blank so I could move on.

The "Cache Summary", formerly known as the "Short description", has always had a 500 character limit. The "Cache Description", formerly "Long description" has no such limit.

On the HINT section the default is for NO, this should be YES so people think about adding a hint to make up for the 5 meter error on co-ords.

No, no, no! Please don't change this default! First of all, 5m is a perfectly acceptable margin of error. In fact, if you can reliably get your coordinates within 5m, you're doing pretty good. Second, if someone isn't going to provide a hint, there shouldn't be anything in that field. I've seen far too many hints that said "None needed" or something similarly useless. Making this default to "Yes" is just asking for people to put in one of these useless hints simply because the field is there to be filled in. A useless hint is worse than no hint because it provides false hope.