Letterbox Cache

Cachefoxxe

Can someone explain to me what a Letterbox cache is? From what I have seen its a type of puzzle, and if that is it how would I go about solving one?

Letterboxing is another form of treasure hunting using clues instead of coordinates. In some cases, the letterbox owner has made their container both a letterbox and a geocache and posted its coordinates on Geocaching.com. If there is a stamp inside a Letterbox Hybrid, it is not an item intended for trade; the stamp is meant to remain in the box so that visitors can use it to record their visit.

There seem to be a couple of different types of Letterbox Hybrid caches kicking around. Some follow the letterboxing theme of using clues to get to the container, while others are simply at the posted coordinates. Can you post the GC code of one you're looking at?

Right now I am looking at this one GCN2CA. Any help is appreciated how do I record a stamp one? Thats not in this one but in the future I could use the info. And whats the difference between a Letterbox and a Letterbox hybrid?

First, the difference between letterboxes and letterbox hybrids:

Letterboxes aren't listed on this site. There are many other sites that list them. They don't use GPS, but rather rely on using clues to find your way to the container.

Letterbox hybrids are a hybrid of letterboxes and geocaches. These are the ones listed on this site. Some use clues to get to the cache, while others just give you the coordinates. GPS use is required for at least part of the cache.

Common to both is the stamp. Letterboxers will stamp their own personal logbook with the resident stamp to record their find, and use their personal stamp to record their visit in the resident logbook. For the letterbox hybrids, geocachers will just sign the log as usual.

What I've seen is that for most letterbox hybrids, the owner will provide letterbox-style clues to get to the container, but will often also give you a "gimme" hint or even the final coordinates in the hint field. This means that many times you won't even need to follow the clues if you don't want to. The cache you mentioned seems to fall under this category. If you look at the hint, they tell you where the cache is.

Right now I am looking at this one GCN2CA. Any help is appreciated how do I record a stamp one? Thats not in this one but in the future I could use the info. And whats the difference between a Letterbox and a Letterbox hybrid?

Sorry but I can't help ya with that puzzle, bad form and all. As for the stamp quest, you record it online just like a regular cache. You also sign the log book like you would a traditional cache. The stamp is there if you want to stamp your own letter boxing book and if you have a stamp of your own you can stamp the log. The difference between a letterbox and a letterbox hybrid is that a traditional letterbox does not have coordinates. To find the traditional ones you have to follow directions to get to the box. Hope that helps.

Letterboxes are listed on a different website altogether. They don't have GPS coords listed - you hunt for them using clues. They always have a stamp inside (usually hand carved, I think) and a log - you're supposed to stamp the log with your personal stamp (that you always carry with you), and then you can stamp your own personal notebook with the stamp that's inside the letterbox (to "collect" stamp images in your notebook). Letterboxing has been around a long time - a lot longer than geocaching.

Letterbox hybrids are geocaches (listed on geocaching.com) that have a stamp inside so geocachers can kind of play both games at once. I think that some letterbox hybrids are listed on both the letterboxing website(s) and on geocaching.com. The only real difference between a letterbox hybrid and a traditional geocache is the stamp inside, and the notebook is usually large enough that people can stamp it with their own personal stamps if they want. If you don't have a stamp, you just sign the log like any other cache and log it online as usual.

I've stumbled across several letterboxes (not hybrids) just hunting geocaches. If there's a well-used trail in the forest/countryside half way close to a largish town, chances are good there's some letterboxes along the trail somewhere. Most of the ones I've chanced upon were within 20 ft of the geocache I was hunting.

Can someone explain to me what a Letterbox cache is? From what I have seen its a type of puzzle, and if that is it how would I go about solving one?

The big difference between a letterbox and a geocache is the contents of the box. With a geocache you trade geoswag. With letterboxes you trade stamp images - take an impression of the box's stamp, leave an impression of your signature stamp in the box's logbook. Ideally the stamp represents the box - either the theme of the box or the location.

How you get to the cache is up to the owner. Traditionally it was the British national grid reference system because the game started in Dartmoor, England, then compass directions and clues. This is because GPSs weren't available commercially before 2000. Example: BLACK MOUNTAINS-CAMARTHEN FAN-RH,SN.824.218, OS Landranger Sheet 160. From trig at Fan Brycheiniog go 180p 250° to a 6' long 3' high semi-circular peat bank - plugged 1' back under small flat stone.

But there's nothing that precludes one from using latitude/longitude as their primary or only clue.

That looks to be a puzzle/letterbox hybrid combination. Not all Letterbox Hybrids are like that.

Once you've solved the puzzle part of it, and navigated to the cache, then it's like normal...sign the logbook and post your find online.

The Guidelines outline the requirements for Letterbox Hybrid caches that are published by Groundspeak:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=308

B.

From a geocachers standpoint a letterbox hybrid is esentially meaningless. It only means that there is a stamp inside the box for letterboxers to use.

About the only benefit for geocachers is that you get a special icon in your profile for finding one.

I disagree... although I know a few letterboxers who whole-heartedly agree with you. But that's ok. But I do like to think I'm not wasting my five hours carving an eagle or an otter or a pile of gorgeous Florida Seashells for someone to think it's meaningless and pointless. Especially when I won quite some nice accolades on the letterboxing website for them, "box of the week", one of only 4 in my STATE in the past 4 years... and got "favorites points" from here and complements from some seasoned and respected cachers. It's something different than the standard geocache we see so many of. I try to make my clues fun and entertaining as well.

What I take from hybrids is the cool stamped image (I prefer the hand-carved pieces of art to the store bought Hello Kitty junk). I love the clues, as well. In geocaching, when you get to "the spot", there is often nothing to do but sign and go... unless someone did take you to a fabulous scenic spot or has a cool creative container. With a letterbox hybrid, if someone took the time to carve a stamp... you get a little art surprise waiting for you, that you get to stamp and keep for your log. That's what I get from it, and it's not meaningless to me at all.

Also the hybrid functions to educate geocachers about letterboxing, so if they accidentally find one of our letterboxes, they don't try and trade the stamp for a McToy. I also hope to bring some creative geocachers over to letterboxing, and bring some of the cool things about geocaching into the letterboxing game... and vice versa.

My opinion only... but not a meaningless one.

PS, any geocachers who would like to see examples of some of my stamps, please feel free to email me and I will send you a few pics. They are very special... to me and my letterboxing community. And my geocaching friends who have seen them...

Edited by FloridaFour