Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dflynnatc

Geocaching in Physical Education

I heard about geocaching this past weekend on NPR. Cool Idea... I was interested in finding a way to incorporating it into my adventure based education activities. Or, as a replacement or addtion to orienteering. Has anyone heard of such usage?

Second Part>>>

Do you know of any company that would be assistive in purchasing several (or more)units?

And which one's do you recommend to use with students?

We introduced our son's 4th grade cub scout den to geocaching at a recent campout. We purchased enough items for each of the boys to have identical treasures and hid a cache for each to find. Rather than a "take an item, leave an item" system, each boy got the treasure they found. We took them out in groups of 5 or 6, and had already hid the caches. We explained how the unit works, and had them lead the group to the cache. When we got to the area, they all looked for the cache, but the leader got to keep the treasures. They all had a ball, and wore their "toboggan hats" the whole weekend! (We reused the same 5 sites for each group.) We also explained about picking up trash, and disturbing the area as little as possible, being good stewards of the land. icon_rolleyes.gif

We introduced our son's 4th grade cub scout den to geocaching at a recent campout. We purchased enough items for each of the boys to have identical treasures and hid a cache for each to find. Rather than a "take an item, leave an item" system, each boy got the treasure they found. We took them out in groups of 5 or 6, and had already hid the caches. We explained how the unit works, and had them lead the group to the cache. When we got to the area, they all looked for the cache, but the leader got to keep the treasures. They all had a ball, and wore their "toboggan hats" the whole weekend! (We reused the same 5 sites for each group.) We also explained about picking up trash, and disturbing the area as little as possible, being good stewards of the land. icon_rolleyes.gif

It sounds like you have a good idea. I would recommend the Basic E-trex. It is less expensive, easy to use, and generally as reliable as other models. Because they are so inexpensive, you probably won't be able to find any bulk discounts on them.

I had introduced geocaching to my son's wilderness survival skills specialty camp this past summer. The kids enjoyed it but really didn't get enough of a feel for it. I have considered writing some gps manufacturers and see if they have any kind of educational donation program. The camp is held at a YMCA wilderness camp and run by The Center for Attention and Related Disorders. It is a four week program for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. I would love to help them incorporate geocaching into their program but without me lending my unit out too often.

Working for a school, there is a ton of grants that would probably fund a program like this. I would suggest researching some outdoor ed grants that focus on the use of technology.

Cozmo

I have use GPS a couple of times for adventure based education activities. I am a youth worker in the UK.

Basically seting young people who would not normally be interested in such activities but using the GPS gives them some motivation to get involved.

I have also used it in London as part of a larger find then solve the problem exercise. The most memorable part of this was using London's Webcam Cache

London's webcam cache

especially since they got the photo as evidence when they got back to base

David

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0