Cache name Disallowd

Hi everyone

I have recently asked / submitted a cache for publication called "bl@@dy hell ginge" and this has been turn down because the reviewer as deemed it "vulgar" under our rules....

"You agree not to: 4(a) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity"

However

There are over 130 caches which have been published with "bloody" in the title and one called "Where the Bloody Hell is Monty ?!?!?!" GC3J9V8 ?

Although I am in favor of rules there does appear to be huge discrepancies and inconsistencies accruing and wondered what everyone else thinks.

regards all

ginger

A couple of thoughts come to mind. There are no precedences. Just because one cache gets through like that doesn't mean the next will. also, what a word or phrase means in one place may not be the same as what it means elsewhere. If you feel your reviewer is wrong you can appeal. And perhaps it would be best to rename the cache with a less, erm, controversial tittle.

Yeah, "they" don't seem to like it very much when you point out inconsistencies in the volunteer reviewer system, and they always go to the "there are no precedences" card. I see you're from the UK, where "bloody hell" is quite the common phrase, and I'm sure not considered vulgar by most. That phrase however, is almost non-existent in the U.S. :)

Your proper course of action is to appeal the reviewers decision by sending an email to appeals@Groundspeak.com You have no choice but to mention all the other bloody hell caches, but expect to probably be told there is no precedent. My advice is to go in calmly and politely, and make a good argument. Don't write this email with a ticked-off tone, and an attitude!!

When issues like this arise, the best course of action is to send a note to appeals@geocaching.com.

You will find regional differences. The word $hit appears several times in European cache names, but not in the US or other English speaking countries. To us, it is considered vulgar. To others, it is considered OK but just not as nice as other words.

Edit to add - I am moving this to the general forums.

Edited by Moose Mob

You will find regional differences. The word $hit appears several times in European cache names, but not in the US or other English speaking countries. To us, it is considered vulgar. To others, it is considered OK but just not as nice as other words.

Don't forget that town in Austria: GC1V08E. Again, regional differences.

Just re-think your cache name, find something better..

why is it cool or smart to use bad words ?

I dont think bloody or hell is a bad word,

but when put together, it is a commonly known bad word.

Edited by OZ2CPU

are you sure it is Bloody ell they object to

and not Ginge?

Ginge , to some, could be a vulgarism

In the UK there is a bit of hatred towards "gingers" or redheads, and perhaps that is it. It appears to have originated in England as a form of hatred against the Irish.

Otherwise it doesn't seem too bad at all.

As soon as I saw the proposed title of the cache, I knew why it was being disallowed. As others have said, "ginger" (which "ginge" is short for) is a derogatory term used to slander redheads. I would know, as I am a redhead and hear that term quite often from the mouths of the immature. Granted, I take no offense to it as it's nothing more than a simply word meant to illicit a prescribed response, I can see why the reviewer would deem it inappropriate.

All in all, it's not that hard to come up with a new name for the cache...

and not Ginge?

In the UK there is a bit of hatred towards "gingers" or redheads, and perhaps that is it. It appears to have originated in England as a form of hatred against the Irish.

OK, I'm old, and not very hip. The only time I've ever heard of anyone being referred to as a "Ginger" is at a rather funny (in my opinion) Indie music gossip blog, while referring to an American redheaded girl from an all girl Indie band. As a matter of fact, it took me several months to figure out why they called her a Ginger. What do I know, I figured it was inspired by Ginger from Gilligan's Island, and had no idea it was derogatory. But I just checked with Mrs. Yuck, who is much more hip than me, and she says it's a derogatory term. Ya' learn something new every day. :ph34r:

Here are all the posts about said Ginger not that anyone cares. P.S. Doesn't Ron Weasley say "Bloody Hell" about 10 times in every Harry Potter movie? That can't possibly be vulgar. :D

and not Ginge?

OK, I'm old, and not very hip. The only time I've ever heard of anyone being referred to as a "Ginger" is at a rather funny (in my opinion) Indie music gossip blog, while referring to an American redheaded girl from an all girl Indie band. As a matter of fact, it took me several months to figure out why they called her a Ginger. What do I know, I figured it was inspired by Ginger from Gilligan's Island, and had no idea it was derogatory. But I just checked with Mrs. Yuck, who is much more hip than me, and she says it's a derogatory term. Ya' learn something new every day. :ph34r:

Here are all the posts about said Ginger not that anyone cares. P.S. Doesn't Ron Weasley say "Bloody Hell" about 10 times in every Harry Potter movie? That can't possibly be vulgar. :D

News article about it.

On page 3 there is a senseless anti-ginger music video "MIA Born Free", which shows a 12 year old kid getting shot in the head at close range.

ihategingers.com

Kid beaten as a result of a facebook group encouraging "kick a ginger" day

They really do hate gingers in Britain

ginge also has further meaning that have nothing to do with the colo(u)r of a persons hair.

Most women would be offended ( thats a hint)

OP would they accept "ginger"

I hate to say it but i think you are mistaken - the vulgar word relating to something to do with women that sounds like ginge actually begins with an 'm'.

Edited by mountain god

ginge also has further meaning that have nothing to do with the colo(u)r of a persons hair.

I hate to say it but i think you are mistaken - the vulgar word relating to something to do with women that sounds like ginge actually begins with an 'm'.

No. He was right. Not sure which word you may be thinking of.

So *that's* why they won't let us write Mun*** on the forums. I thought it was just a silly game involving QR codes.

Well if you google the word but starting with an "m" instead of a "g" you'll find out (not going to spell it out here 'cos it's not family friendly.

Conversely I googled "ginge" and the only terms I could find were descriptive of red hair, and there was nothing (else) vulgar that I could see.

Well if you google the word but starting with an "m" instead of a "g" you'll find out (not going to spell it out here 'cos it's not family friendly.

Conversely I googled "ginge" and the only terms I could find were descriptive of red hair, and there was nothing (else) vulgar that I could see.

Huh! Learned something new today. Not sure how useful it will be, but you never know...

But yeah, you do have to dig a bit for "ginge" I first learned about it in another forum thread here a couple of years ago.