Do we need a category for Palaces?

Hello,

Up until now, the castles category seems to have been the place to submit palaces although the description of the category doesn't fit. It states that "Only "genuine" castles built for defensive purposes should be listed."

The way the category is worded leaves the door open for palaces to be rejected from this category but their is really no other place to put them.

I see two approaches to this problem :

1) either update the category description to include palaces

2) create a new category for palaces.

What does the community think?

RitC

Hello,

Up until now, the castles category seems to have been the place to submit palaces although the description of the category doesn't fit. It states that "Only "genuine" castles built for defensive purposes should be listed."

The way the category is worded leaves the door open for palaces to be rejected from this category but their is really no other place to put them.

I see two approaches to this problem :

1) either update the category description to include palaces

2) create a new category for palaces.

What does the community think?

RitC

What is your definition of a palace? I looked it up and got two: 1. an official residence of an exalted person, or 2. a large, splendid house

Hi,

A good Castle is like a Palace to living in.

In The Netherlands our Queen lives in a Palace, but its not a Castle.

We say for example where a Queen or King lives we call it a Palace.

We have many in Holland but again they are not almost an Castle.

We have some palaces:

Palace of the Queen or the queensmother.

Palace of Justice.

Dutch definition of a palace.

"A Palace is a Office building that has a public or ceremonial function"

They are very beautiful to see and they will always be.

Because i must pay tax for it from my income.

I give it a yes if it has the name palace in it.

Its an mistak for the reviewing in group Castles.

Many Castles are not built for defensive purposes.

If it looks like one they will accept it.

They will beter leave that line.

Give it a go an accept it only when they have the name Palace in it.

Grtz

John

I think a palace is built by or for nobility and as a residence, not for defensive purposes. I understand now that someone has already tried to start a category for chateaux but has not as yet succeeded.

In fact I just woke up and realized I'm a member of that group (call number 3). Don't quite remember why this went dormant. Might try to contact the leader and revive the subject.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

We have a lot of places here in Korea, well, a few dozen I suppose. Some are UNESCO sites, but not all. Sometimes there are other living quarters for royalty - retreats, summer residences, etc. that may or may not be considered palaces.

We also have quite a few forts, but very few qualify for the Fortress category because none of them are intact or fully restored. Just visited one where one could walk the entire perimeter on the wall! It is huge, and more like a park within the walls, but only with a few restored buildings. Hardly anything is original here, from temples, to palaces and fortresses. Between natural disasters and wars over the centuries (esp. the Japanese invasion of the 16th century), nearly everything has been reconstructed at least once. In fact, Korea's National Treasure No. 1 (the Great South Gate in Seoul) was torched by an arsonist several years ago. The reconstruction is due to be completed this fall.

Then there are residences of other heads-of-state (other than monarchs and nobility) that probably are not palaces, but don't seem to have a category. Visited the summer homes of Syngman Rhee (our first president) and Kim Il-sung (the North's first dictator) which are within a few hundred yards of each other. I'll find some category for them, I guess.