Live data stream to PC

This morning I purchased a new Etrex 10 to replace my old Etrex Yellow whose screen has become nearly unreadable. I quickly discovered that aparently this unit does not support the ability to feed a live data feed of position and satellite information to a PC or other suitable device while my old Etrex Yellow, and many many other devices do, or at least used to.

After a few email exchanges with Garmin tech [un]support, it would seem they don't even know what this feature is, despite the fact that their older units supported it and would provide the stream in either the standard NMEA 0183 format or a proprietary Garmin format.

The Etrex 10 has in the configuration an option to set it to "Garmin" mode, or "Mass Storage" mode. Since the mass storage mode seems to be required for waypoint/track/etc data exchange, the only reason I can think of for the 'Garmin' mode would be for this data stream. Yet putting it in that mode doesnt seem to produce anything.

Can anyone confirm either way wether the Etrex 10 is supposed to support this data stream, or what other inexpensive current Garmin (or other) models support this data stream. For me this is an absolute requirement. If the E10 doesn't support it I need to return it immediately and find something that does, or go back to using my Etrex Yellow and deal with the hard to read screen. At least it still works, and has this required feature.

Thanks in Advance

MicroChip

This morning I purchased a new Etrex 10 to replace my old Etrex Yellow whose screen has become nearly unreadable. I quickly discovered that aparently this unit does not support the ability to feed a live data feed of position and satellite information to a PC or other suitable device while my old Etrex Yellow, and many many other devices do, or at least used to.

After a few email exchanges with Garmin tech [un]support, it would seem they don't even know what this feature is, despite the fact that their older units supported it and would provide the stream in either the standard NMEA 0183 format or a proprietary Garmin format.

The Etrex 10 has in the configuration an option to set it to "Garmin" mode, or "Mass Storage" mode. Since the mass storage mode seems to be required for waypoint/track/etc data exchange, the only reason I can think of for the 'Garmin' mode would be for this data stream. Yet putting it in that mode doesnt seem to produce anything.

Can anyone confirm either way wether the Etrex 10 is supposed to support this data stream, or what other inexpensive current Garmin (or other) models support this data stream. For me this is an absolute requirement. If the E10 doesn't support it I need to return it immediately and find something that does, or go back to using my Etrex Yellow and deal with the hard to read screen. At least it still works, and has this required feature.

Thanks in Advance

MicroChip

I know that several Garmin units support it, I'm not sure offhand if the new eTrexes(10/20/30) do.

Do you need actual NMEA0183(which is RS232, voltages range from -15 volts to 15 volts, 4800 baud), or do you just need NMEA sentences connected to your computer through any other method?

Different handheld Garmins do it in different ways(many do both). There's Garmin Spanner Mode, which uses a small desktop program to create virtual serial ports that are connected over USB. Have you tried:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1627

...or...

http://gpsgate.com/download

? Those programs would get you NMEA data from the unit, but with a standard USB cable.

The other method that some units support is a special serial cable that actually emits raw RS232 NMEA. These usually take 10->30 volts input, can run the unit, and have full voltage I/O for RS232(not like spanner, which effectively turns the unit into a USB->Serial adapter inside the case). Garmin.com can list what units go with which cable.

The GPSMap 78 has a big Garmin serial port (RS232, full voltage, 4-pins(serial in, serial out, power in, ground)). However, it can also do Spanner mode.

I do not really need rs232 or even actual nmea sentences although both would be the high preference. If necessary I can run whatever data stream (nmea/garmin oem/etc) through my pc and out to other devices, but that means I can't just drop the gps and other device in a small pack with a battery as I can now with my Etrex Yellow. I'll take a look at the suggestions you mention above.

While not a dedicated handheld GPS, Windows Mobile 6.1 (and likely 6.5) based phones/PDAs can do NMEA when used with the GpsGate PC and Windows Mobile programs. Garmin has a page about Spanner here that lists some models known to work with it, but it also mentions Spanner doesn't work with Vista. (Which means it may not work with Win7 either.)

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={26ed0f20-1338-11de-76c5-000000000000}