Geocache Placement Issue

A situation has arisen, and I'd love some advice.

I've found the perfect location for the first part of my "Welcome to North Collins" series, but there are some issued with the placement. The location is on the boundary of two separate properties, and I've talked to both landowners. The landowner of the property that the cache will actually be on is fine with the placement, and the owner of the other property is fine with the placement as well.

However, his wife isn't; she worries that someone might harm her children, as the cache location is in the woods that runs along their house, about 400 feet away. However, it is off of their property by about 20 feet, and therefore I could place the cache anyways if I wanted to. Now, I have tried to talk to and reason with her multiple times, trying to inform her of what Geocaching is, explain to her that she and her family would be in no danger due to the cache being placed where I want to place it, and have done and said just about everything to try and put her mind at ease. Regardless, she refuses to see reason, continuously insults me, talks over me, and yells at me no matter what I do or say.

I really, really like this location; it's about 80 feet away from the "Welcome to the Town of North Collins" sign on the main road (there is a spot where you can pull over and not being hindering traffic at all), and it's the actual hiding spot is perfect! I want to put one here, and then one at the other end of town near the other "Welcome to the Town of North Collins" sign as well, completing my "Welcome to North Collins" series. So, the issue that I've got running through my head is this; do I place this cacher where I'd like to and ignore this woman, or do I do away with the idea entirely? I have permission from the owner of the property that the cache will actually be on, so in theory, I could place it anyways, couldn't I?

What do you all think that I should do? Thank you in advance.

Hiding a cache (even on public property) that will cause issues with those living nearby is absolutely a bad idea.

If you cannot allay the lady's fears, then place the cache elsewhere, out of range of her concern.

I would normally suggest enlisting her collaboration to help you put the cache where she might approve, but it seems she's not really receptive to the concept at all.

If you place the cache anyway, there is likely to be 'trouble' for anyone looking for it.

It may seem to be the perfect spot to you, but it just isn't worth annoying the neighbors.

It sounds like if you place the cache, those that come looking for it might have to deal with an irrational, screaming woman. I wouldn't enjoy that.

Neither would I, but like I told her, more than likely she wouldn't even know when someone was there looking for it. Geocachers aren't exactly strangers to stealth...

Hiding a cache (even on public property) that will cause issues with those living nearby is absolutely a bad idea.

If you cannot allay the lady's fears, then place the cache elsewhere, out of range of her concern.

I would normally suggest enlisting her collaboration to help you put the cache where she might approve, but it seems she's not really receptive to the concept at all.

If you place the cache anyway, there is likely to be 'trouble' for anyone looking for it.

It may seem to be the perfect spot to you, but it just isn't worth annoying the neighbors.

Good point.

Edited by xShadow Shockx

I know you like the spot but there plenty of great spots out there. You want your cache visitors to feel comfortable going to your cache. Some may not feel comfortable being so close to private property, even if you state permission was given for exactly the same reason the wife doesn't want people near the house.

Thanks to everyone who left their opinions.

I've come to agree that it's not a good idea, unless I can change her mind and make her feel more comfortable with the idea, which isn't likely to happen. As such, I will see if I can place it on the opposite side of the main road; she won't be able to complain then, as if her young children are crossing the street to play in the woods, she's got bigger problems than a Geocache and it's potential finders...

Regardless, she refuses to see reason, continuously insults me, talks over me, and yells at me no matter what I do or say.

There is no point in attempting to negotiate with an irrational person.

Even though technically you have permission from the landowner, this one doesn't sound like it's worth it.

You said series...is this a multi cache? Maybe the first bit could be a virtual/micro? Then it wouldn't need to be so close to the woman's house?

No, it's not a multi-cache; I would be placing two individual caches on opposite ends of the town, relatively close to the "Welcome to North Collins" signs. Does that make sense? There's one at each end of the town.

Just remember. A mamma bear with cubs doesn't care if you are carrying a gun or a camera. She's just gonna shred ya either way.

Very good point.

Regardless, she refuses to see reason, continuously insults me, talks over me, and yells at me no matter what I do or say.

There is no point in attempting to negotiate with an irrational person.

Even though technically you have permission from the landowner, this one doesn't sound like it's worth it.

I agree.

It sounds like if you place the cache, those that come looking for it might have to deal with an irrational, screaming woman. I wouldn't enjoy that.

When looking at cache listings, if I see logs that people are being hassled at GZ, the cache goes straight to the ignore list. I cache to have fun, not to stand and argue with irrational people, even if am in the right. Also, last year, while caching in the So Cal dessert, a teen got shot in the leg because he was too close to an irrational mans property. It's just not worth it.

edit: sentences make more sense when you put all the words in them...

Edited by Don_J

Maybe you could take the lady and her kids geocaching to show her what it's about. Make sure to bring your own kids (or borrow some from a friend). Take her to a kid-friendly geocaching event so she'll see that geocachers are normal people that she should not fear.

Maybe you could take the lady and her kids geocaching to show her what it's about. Make sure to bring your own kids (or borrow some from a friend). Take her to a kid-friendly geocaching event so she'll see that geocachers are normal people that she should not fear.

We know different people :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

You said series...is this a multi cache? Maybe the first bit could be a virtual/micro? Then it wouldn't need to be so close to the woman's house?

Virtuals are no longer allowed...and I don't think the size has anything to do with it...unless I a mus-understanding what you mean.

Maybe you could talk her into a short trial period. Then she could see what she is in for, but has an opt out option.

I brought up that idea, as did her husband; she wouldn't go for it. She seems completely and utterly against the idea of Geocaching in general; she said that it sounds like a waste of time, and could be a way for people to hide bombs and do drug deals.

Honestly, I wouldn't be caught dead doing anything with this woman, especially not after the way that she talked to me the last time that I spoke to her and her husband. The things that she said, and the ways that she insulted me have made me despise her without even knowing her. Besides, I don't have any children.

Please understand that no means no, and move on to another location.

I believe we've already established that I understand and agree with that point...

I brought up that idea, as did her husband; she wouldn't go for it. She seems completely and utterly against the idea of Geocaching in general; she said that it sounds like a waste of time, and could be a way for people to hide bombs and do drug deals.

Must be tough going through life that paranoid....

Must be tough going through life that paranoid....

I agree. The funny part is that I tried to set her worries at ease by letting her know that I had been given permission by the Superintendent of the North Collins Central School District to hide a Park N Grab Micro on the guardrail bordering the North Collins Elementary School (the cache is about 500' from the school's front doors), and she couldn't care less. She said that he's clearly a moron, and that he shouldn't be trusted with the safety of the town's children and young adults. The Superintendent is a Geocacher, and if he is confident enough and trusts the idea enough to allow a Geocache 500' away from the front doors to a a school that he is directly in charge of, I don't see why she wouldn't allow me to have a cache in a dense woods 400' from her back yard...

You seem to be the kind of person who always ensures their cache is allowed to be where it is, which is very good! I hope you can find another place for it.

It really is too bad that the woman is just stuck up with the whole idea.

Yes, I make sure that I have the utmost and complete permission before placing any Geocache. The last thing that I want to happen is for someone to get into trouble while looking for a cache of mine, or for a cache of mine to become popular, only to have to be archived when I'm told I need to remove it due to a lack of permission... I'd rather avoid those two issues by acquiring full permission for the placement beforehand. With that being said, I too hope that I can find another location for this particular cache. In all reality, I could easily place it in the woods across the street from where this woman lives, as the street that she lives on is a main road, and if her children are crossing the road to play in that woods (which isn't even remotely her property), then she's got bigger problems than a Geocache and its potential finders.