coin collectors, travel terminators

bobcatw98

Does anybody know what happens to these geocoins that seem to just disappear from the caches they were left in? I've heard the term "coin collectors" in reference to missing coins. This of course also refers to legitimate collectors who trade or purchase coins from owners. I guess what I'm asking is, since there is no proof of ownership that follows a geocoin, is there anyway to know if a coin has been absconded.

the proof of ownership is in the tracking code on the coins that show in caches but aren't there.

you're wrong with the use of the term "coin collectors". a better word and more appropriate is "thief". plane and simple they are stealing things that don't belong to them, so they are thieves.

keeping the coin does them no good and only shows what low life scum they are. they can't show it off to anyone that might see the tracking code and try to log it,because it will show they are not the rightful owner. so ultimately they must keep the stolen coins to themselves and not show them off. this subject has been discussed many times around here... do a search for the word thief and an avalanche of threads on the subject will be at your disposal...

So sorry to waste your time reading and replying to my post....Kia kaha Christchurch

The next time someone's coin disappears, I'll have them contact you, Kia kaha Christchurch,

instead of me to explain it to them.

There's no need for irony.

Many users of this forum are serious coin collectors. Who buy their coins in shops around the world and spend quite a lot of money for this side of the hobby.

We all take offence, when someone mixes us up with thiefs or uneducated cachers, who take coins out of caches without logging and without letting them travel on.

And of course we are all a bit miffed, when every half year or so, someone comes into the coin section and mixes up the term "coin collector"...

So sorry to waste your time reading and replying to my post....Kia kaha Christchurch

The next time someone's coin disappears, I'll have them contact you, Kia kaha Christchurch,

instead of me to explain it to them.

:yikes: Comments like this are really unnecessary.

The next time someone's coin disappears, I'll have them contact you, Kia kaha Christchurch, instead of me to explain it to them.

It's rather insulting to refer to coin thieves as "collectors". I recommend that you spend a bit of time reading this forum, and getting to know the folks and the issues.

And getting to know what other members' usernames are.

B.

The old tag I heard was Hoarders - those who pick up moving coins and keep them as a collector would.

Years ago a friend was at a small event gathering and someone approached him, glowing with pride and showed him a binder packed with geocoins. My friend asked where he acquired these and the fellow indicated he picked them up from geocaches. Somewhat aghast, my friend inquired as to when this enthusiast would be returning them to their travels, the fellow closed up his binder and hustled off with nary an answer.

Probably the worst case, but that's what some people who release their pretties into the wild are up against.

Other examples include n00bs who don't realise they aren't trade items and keep them, casual cachers who pick them up and then drop out of geocaching and the occasional muggle who finds a pretty in a curious container and decides they like it and keep it.