Finding Geocachers in the field

Cachefoxxe

The reason I'm asking is today I grabbed a few caches and when I got home one of them had like 5 or 6 other people out there today. I would have loved to have met them, and I'm not sure if some one was there while I was. I keep looking for TB Patches and the like, on there bags as well as the Beacon (ie a GPS). It got me thinking that maybe there was something I missed as I am new to this.

It's obviously time to remind newer cachers of the correct Groundspeak Approved protocol, as set down by Briansnat a few years ago:

When you see a possible geocacher you are to yell "Ho! Are ye a geocacher" The proper response is "Yay, a geocacher am I".

Once you get the proper response you stand facing each other and put your right hand on the other geocacher's left shoulder.

You then skip together in a circle while loudly repeating in unison, "Geocachers are we, runny munny mee. Ha ha ha, Tee hee hee" This should continue for no less than 5 minutes.

(It is recommended that you practice this in the privacy of your own homes before attempting it "in the field".)

MrsB

You can usually spot another Geocacher....he's the one sitting over there in his car watching you and waiting for you to leave while you sit in your car watching him waiting for him to leave while he sits in his car watching you waiting for you to leave....These little standoffs might go on for hours until you both realize you're there for the same thing... :D

I have walked over to people looking suspicious around GZ on many occasions and asked them if they have found it or are they geocaching and on several occasions they have answered 'what?'. It sure gets them moving away nice and quickly so I think its a good strategy to adopt if you want a win win situation. You either have some help to look or clear the area around the weirdo.

I've probably met thirty or forty cachers in the field. "Are you geocaching?" Of course, once he was a National Map Corps seeker who had no intrest in the cache. Oh, well.

I've met quite a few geocachers in the field, several of whom are still friends of mine. Then again, there was the time when I had spent more than two hours chasing down a five-part multi in a little-known park in Columbus. I had finally found the final stage and signed the log, and was making my way back to the parking area. A woman approached on the trail, obviously coming from the parking lot and carrying a GPS unit in one hand. I smiled, said hello, and said something foolish like "Good luck, this is an elusive one." She gave me a quizzical stare that told me she had no idea what I was talking about.

I did some probably-not-so-clever verbal fumbling and apologizing; she laughed and told me she was an Ohio State ornithology student who was visiting the park to work on a population study of some sort. She asked me to tell her more about geocaching, so I gave her a brief summary. She seemed to be interested, and told me she would check out the Web site when she got home. I've often wondered whether she ever tried caching herself.

--Larry