Game camera at ground zero

Suppose a cacher in your area had a few caches go missing. It could be muggles, but it seems to be a pattern. They want to know who it is, whether it's a 14 yr old kid, or that 50 something year old veteran. Or it could be someone grabbing geocoins. Whatever the case, they quietly install a few game cameras near their caches and leave some bait.

Moultrie-Game-Spy-M-100-on-Sale.jpg

Completely waterproof, they run on a few AA batteries, and take excellent pictures or video at night or during the day. You can glue some bark to them and hide them up in a hollow tree nearby the cache, somewhere where nobody could see them or where the cache obviously isn't.

Chances are, many cachers have already been caught on camera. They are used in to catch people who dump garbage repeatedly in the same areas of the forest, or to monitor historical areas for people who like to load up their minivan with the old bricks. National Forests use them to catch people who illegally poach plants, such as ginseng. Then there are the hunters and forest rangers who monitor the animals in the area.

Would it bother you if you knew there was a camera in the woods?

About 5 years ago I was caching with an ex. We kissed for a little bit, and I then I took a pee about 60 feet from where GZ said. We looked for the cache without any luck, and then she checked the info for it and read that there was a camera in the area due to traveler mugglings! It bugged me for a little bit, but then I thought that it would probably be much too expensive to have them back there and shrugged it off.

However, I see nowadays that they are easily affordable and that they are being used in lots of areas. I accidentally peed ON a cache once about 8 years ago, so I had thought 60 feet was a safe area. Now I try to keep it at at least 100 feet away..

However, I see nowadays that they are easily affordable and that they are being used in lots of areas. I accidentally peed ON a cache once about 8 years ago, so I had thought 60 feet was a safe area. Now I try to keep it at at least 100 feet away..

If you are peeing on stuff that's more than 60' away, seek medical attention - immediately!!!

If you are peeing on stuff that's more than 60' away, seek medical attention - immediately!!!

...or contact Guinness World Records. Your choice.

It wouldn't bother me as long as you didn't share the pictures with anyone else.

Anyone who would object to being on camera, better not leave their house these days. It is hard to go any place that is public without a security camera.

Not saying it is good, or bad, just the facts of life these days.

How sensitive are those cameras? I only ask because I thought it could be funny to tie a helium balloon to a near by tree. :anibad:

Well, it would be funny to see you carry helium balloons around to every cache you looked for. :D

Not every cache. Just yours. :anitongue:

Then again, it is unlikely I'll have to worry about it any time soon. Where are you from?

How sensitive are those cameras? I only ask because I thought it could be funny to tie a helium balloon to a near by tree. :anibad:

Well, it would be funny to see you carry helium balloons around to every cache you looked for. :D

Not every cache. Just yours. :anitongue:

Then again, it is unlikely I'll have to worry about it any time soon. Where are you from?

They could be at anyone's cache. I am aware of them being used already in a few places. I could place one at somebody else's cache to monitor coin thefts. You never know..

I've noticed a few while out caching. Not aware of any that are aimed at geocaches though. I've waved to them or flashed a peace sign. Other than that I haven't really messed with them.

All silliness aside, I don't know much about how they work. I'd think that if they are motion activated a balloon moving in a breeze would set them off. No?

I have one of those camera I picked up at Cabela's but haven't set it out. Would need one of those security braces so it isn't taken.

You should pick up another one, and point them at each other. That way, if one is stolen...

Wait...

You should pick up two more, and point each one at another one. That way, if two are stolen...

Wait...

I have one of those camera I picked up at Cabela's but haven't set it out. Would need one of those security braces so it isn't taken.

You should pick up another one, and point them at each other. That way, if one is stolen...

Wait...

You should pick up two more, and point each one at another one. That way, if two are stolen...

Wait...

We will hire you with milk bones to guard it. Are you a good guard dog?

Wait...

Wait...

We will hire you with milk bones to guard it. Are you a good guard dog?

I'm not so sure about that, but I can sure see this becoming a "Counting Cheese" type thread over in OT!

Game cameras are motion activated, something comes by it trips a IR sensor, and it takes a picture. Some of them have a "cooldown" timer, which wont allow it to take a lot of rapid fire photos, in order to save battery power.

Try looking for a security type outdoor camera with a motion sensor on/off switch to catch people's reactions. Just remember if you post the reactions online without consent. You could be opening up yourself for a lawsuit.

I wouldn't care as long as they either mentioned in the description one is near by or that they weren't posting / sharing the photos.

On that note, I am off to add to the description of one of my caches that there is security cameras at the cache location.

While I do see the need to try and catch cache thieves and coin bandits, I would object to being on-camera in the woods.

What I do in the woods (and how I do it, and whom I do it with) is my own business.

Sure, (in)security cameras are everywhere in the city, isn't that the kind of CRAP thing we go out into the wilderness to get away from?

If I happened to detect the presence of such a camera, I would do my absolute best to 'disable' it...with extreme prejudice. :mad:

It's a neat idea and I think it would be amusing to watch the footage. However, I think if people didn't know it was there, they may be upset.

Just speaking for myself, I frequently need to pee while caching in the woods. I'm pretty sure I"m not alone in this. If you want to see alot of people peeing, I would say go ahead, put up a camera (and don't tell anybody about it). How akward is that going to make the next event. :blink:

While I do see the need to try and catch cache thieves and coin bandits, I would object to being on-camera in the woods.

What I do in the woods (and how I do it, and whom I do it with) is my own business.

Sure, (in)security cameras are everywhere in the city, isn't that the kind of CRAP thing we go out into the wilderness to get away from?

If I happened to detect the presence of such a camera, I would do my absolute best to 'disable' it...with extreme prejudice. :mad:

But it's not yours. It's the property of someone else, similar to a geocache.

It also may have been left by someone monitoring illegal dumping, vandalism of historic sites, or a forest ranger studying wildlife.

+1

Not a particular worry to me. But don't go bitching when you see someone peeing in the cameras field of view. And if I spot it I'm likely to waste your time and memory doing silly stuff.

Not a waste of my time. I would just steal it and muggle the cache. I can be a geojerk too. Try leaving a SD card in your cache and ask nicely for a photo if the finder wants to. I have stamped my butt and taken photos with litter boxes, but I keep my photos private. It's all in fun, so whatever. I did use a game cam to catch a muggle once, and caught them off guard taking a wizz. Not a pretty sight. I just archived the listing and sent them an email. BTW, never use your private email address as a contact.

Game cameras are motion activated, something comes by it trips a IR sensor, and it takes a picture. Some of them have a "cooldown" timer, which wont allow it to take a lot of rapid fire photos, in order to save battery power.

Try looking for a security type outdoor camera with a motion sensor on/off switch to catch people's reactions. Just remember if you post the reactions online without consent. You could be opening up yourself for a lawsuit.

In a public place it is legal, as there is no expectation of privacy. On YouTube there are plenty of videos taken in public places.

If they had sound recording however, it could run afoul of state wiretapping laws, but they don't. Police have sucessfully challenged video taken of car stops using wiretapping laws in some places, but failed in others. an interesting court challenge could occur from videotaping two people using sign language, however..

There could be a challenge if it was deep in the woods on public land, as someone could argue there was "no expectation of privacy". But if they are caught stealing, that's another matter.. I don't think anyone would necessarily make public a video of someone peeing, or smoking pot... but stealing? Yes, they would..

I would be kinda weird-ed out. I don't want to be on camera while in the woods. I would assume said camera belongs to a pervert trying to watch people in the woods and act accordingly. If I am filmed without my permission the camera will be smashed to smithereens and thrown in a dumpster. Plus what would you see? People poking around in the underbrush and people "watering" the trees? Why the heck would you want to film that? :unsure:

Not a particular worry to me. But don't go bitching when you see someone peeing in the cameras field of view. And if I spot it I'm likely to waste your time and memory doing silly stuff.

Not a waste of my time. I would just steal it and muggle the cache. I can be a geojerk too. Try leaving a SD card in your cache and ask nicely for a photo if the finder wants to. I have stamped my butt and taken photos with litter boxes, but I keep my photos private. It's all in fun, so whatever. I did use a game cam to catch a muggle once, and caught them off guard taking a wizz. Not a pretty sight. I just archived the listing and sent them an email. BTW, never use your private email address as a contact.

That's if you notice it. :D

If the cache is in a predictable location, it highly unlikely you would notice the camera up in a tree, requiring a ladder or rope assistance.

A video of you stealing someone's property would surely go public. At that point you may just want to archive all your caches.

I would be kinda weird-ed out. I don't want to be on camera while in the woods. I would assume said camera belongs to a pervert trying to watch people in the woods and act accordingly. If I am filmed without my permission the camera will be smashed to smithereens and thrown in a dumpster. Plus what would you see? People poking around in the underbrush and people "watering" the trees? Why the heck would you want to film that? :unsure:

They are for cache theives and coin theives. It's someone else's property, similar to a geocache and completely legal.

People are filmed all the time in public places without permission. If you destroy someone's property, you give them a good arguement for destroying yours..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

If that is the case, and I know I am being filmed that is fine. If I am filmed without consent I am going to assume it is a pervert cam and will be dealt with as such.

A pervert cam in the woods? :blink:

I hope you don't destroy any placed by Forest Rangers, or land managers, as they will eventually figure out it was caching related.

I know someone who caches in Arizona, and she has said there are few out there, due to the "Forest Defenders". I suppose they are in other places also. Coin thieves exist everywhere.

I don't think the cameras would be easily noticeable. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

That's if you notice it. :D

If the cache is in a predictable location, it highly unlikely you would notice the camera up in a tree, requiring a ladder or rope assistance.

A video of you stealing someone's property would surely go public. At that point you may just want to archive all your caches.

I really would not steal someone's game cam. One of the members to our local hunting club had a camera in place on a deer lease propertry, also someone was growing some pot close by which was just being ignored until the game came went missing. They could have just taken the SD card, but the theft and grow was reported to the police. Likely the camera flashed because it was well hidden.

I want to go caching with you because I feel that your caching trips are somewhat more eventful than mine. :ph34r:

Anyhow, I continue to not be in favor of game cameras being use for caching purposes. I can't stop someone from using them but I would likely avoid caches that did use them. And if i saw pictures posted of me from a game camera on a cache page I would be pretty peeved.

I've got news for you... you are filmed without your permission almost constantly these days. You've probably been "filmed" while geocaching many times, also... at least if you've done any parking lot hides. Why would you assume the worst because you found a game camera in the woods?

I like to mess around with game cameras for wildlife photography and several times thought of putting one near my more remote forest caches, just for fun, not publication.

Two reasons against it: these remote caches typically get only about two visits a month during the warm months, and second I have this image of geocachers as hyper-observant people who would spot the lens of even a well-hidden camera (unless, perhaps, it were high up pointing down at them).

Plus what would you see? People poking around in the underbrush and people "watering" the trees? Why the heck would you want to film that? :unsure:

Did you read the opening post? Or any replys to this thread? Wildlife, people who steal caches, dump illegally, poach plants, and more. How do you even have time to be on these forums anyway? With all the pervert cameras recording you without your consent all day and most of them being small and attached to ceilings, smashing them all must be quite a time consuming endeavor.

Edited by Ambient_Skater

But it's not yours. It's the property of someone else, similar to a geocache.

It also may have been left by someone monitoring illegal dumping, vandalism of historic sites, or a forest ranger studying wildlife.

If I am successful, there will be no way to tell what happened, or who did it.

If I am not, there is nothing to discuss. Throwing rocks and swinging baseball bats is not a crime. :anibad:

Meh! I can't see that offending any camera, no matter how sensitive.

It might be offensive (but only if you don't live in the UK) if you wrote "Bloody Hell" on the balloon.

Meh! I can't see that offending any camera, no matter how sensitive.

It might be offensive (but only if you don't live in the UK) if you wrote "Bloody Hell" on the balloon.

Get a balloon of the everyready bunny since the goal would be to drain the camera's battery quickly. :)

The question was: "Would it bother you if you KNEW there was a camera in the woods?"

If i KNOW there is a camera, there are two things i will not do:

1) steal coins

2) go potty

I might be annoyed (embarrased) if i discovered after the fact that now everybody can see what i do with my boogers.