HDI-- Limit Pocket Query to U.S.A

banjar1

Since I often do pocket queries near the US border, it would be nice to limit the list to US-caches only. But I can't find any reference to "US", "United States", "America" in the list of countries.

What am I missing?

You have to select the individual states. Ctrl-click to select multiples.

We had the same problem - no "United States" in the PQ list of countries. This post provides an answer but as this would seem to be an exception (are there any other countries left off the pull down list?) then perhaps a note on the PQ page adjacent to the country selection menu might be helpful.

Canada is an option to select, which is geographically bigger than the U.S. Even Russia, the largest country in the world geographically, can be selected. Very odd that the U.S. cannot be selected since those larger countries can be.

Geographical area isn't the criteria used for that list; it's the number of caches in each country. Russia only has 391 caches in the entire country, while there are single towns in the US that have more caches than that.

Canada is an option to select, which is geographically bigger than the U.S. Even Russia, the largest country in the world geographically, can be selected. Very odd that the U.S. cannot be selected since those larger countries can be.

Geographical area isn't the criteria used for that list; it's the number of caches in each country. Russia only has 391 caches in the entire country, while there are single towns in the US that have more caches than that.

That's fine and makes sense, but for some use cases it would help. For example, I'd like a pocket query for all caches hidden within the first year of geocaching in the United States. There it would be helpful to select US once rather than 50 individual states. Or, a query for all virtuals. Two groups of caches I focus on. But, I realize I'm unique in that. So ...

There are other UI approaches to address this. Let the user pick US and then filter the States section to only list US states. Could be helpful for many queries as the states/provinces list is unwieldy.

Or, maintaining current list allow users to add things from one list to another on the right as they select them. Solves the issue of being able to see everything selected and avoid problem of a mis-click that deselects what had been selected.

There are many ways to make the UI better suited to the multi-selection issue with states. I run into this all the time because I take many road trips.