Geocache Movie

Hmm, a movie about geocaching, made by someone who doesn't geocache, and clearly doesn't know even the basics of geocaching (see the poorly chosen title)? I'm not so sure this is the view of geocaching we want the unwashed masses to see. Good luck, but I can't say I'd be very heart-broken if it doesn't happen.

Hmm, a movie about geocaching, made by someone who doesn't geocache, and clearly doesn't know even the basics of geocaching (see the poorly chosen title)? I'm not so sure this is the view of geocaching we want the unwashed masses to see. Good luck, but I can't say I'd be very heart-broken if it doesn't happen.

If it's going to realistic it needs to have a cast that consist of more than a few attractive women and includes an old guy with a smelly hat, a boy scout troup, someone with an androgynous handle and a dragon avatar, and someone spoiling the fun for everyone else but getting FTF on every cache.

If it's going to realistic it needs to have a cast that consist of more than a few attractive women and includes an old guy with a smelly hat, a boy scout troup, someone with an androgynous handle and a dragon avatar, and someone spoiling the fun for everyone else but getting FTF on every cache.

...and the whole movie has to be set in parking lots with the cast hanging around near lamp posts complaining about how caching used to be better back-in-the-day.

Not sure how we can know if the producer is a Geocacher or not. I doubt if he would use his Geocache name on the credits.

However; from the trailer it does sound like the movie will not have a grasp of one of the basic guidelines. (no buried caches.) Plus the fact that he apparently doesn't know the forum guidelines, in so much as he came here to solicit money for the movie, makes me think you may be right. B)

What is your connection to the movie? Are you the writer, the director, the lead actor? What? How much experience does the writer actually have with geocaching? Do you know that we don't really find treasures (as most people think of that word) and that our caches are never buried?

Moreover... why does the trailer end with the phrase, "Donate Now"? The trailer doesn't even have any video. Only text. Have you shot any footage yet? I'm more than a little concerned about that.

[Edit]

OK, after digging around some more on the webiste, I see that you are listed as the writer, and that you and others listed have some real credentials. Still, I'm concerned that the site is unfinished, there seems to be no footage shot yet, and yet the trailer ends in asking people to donate money.

Edited by knowschad

Not sure how we can know if the producer is a Geocacher or not.

The OP is the producer, and his account was only created today and has no finds. Not who I would choose to be a representative of geocaching.

I hadn't thought about your last point. In that case, IBTL.

What I saw is that the OP is the Writer. Also saw the Producer claims to be from Seattle. I wonder if that is his only connection to caching? Right now they claim the movie is close to 25% funded. Why don't they just dig up some of their buried treasure to fund this probable geocaching train wreck? Even if well crafted and acted, how many muggles would watch if they didn't use the old buried treasure angle?

The pitch video on Kickstarter is... well, for someone making a film, not edited or cut very well at all... now, if he's not actually doing the film editing, then..ok well he still approved the video and it's rough and not very enticing. The perks for supporting are various amounts credit until you're emptying your pocket. Then you can pay whatever you've got left to show up in the film.

I dunno, as a movie itself, it may be interesting... as a geocaching film, even as a kickstarter pitch, at best it leaves much to be desired.

Should I go watch the trailer now? :P

Edited by thebruce0

The pitch video on Kickstarter is... well, for someone making a film, not edited or cut very well at all... now, if he's not actually doing the film editing, then..ok well he still approved the video and it's rough and not very enticing. The perks for supporting are various amounts credit until you're emptying your pocket. Then you can pay whatever you've got left to show up in the film.

I dunno, as a movie itself, it may be interesting... as a geocaching film, even as a kickstarter pitch, at best it leaves much to be desired.

Should I go watch the trailer now? :P

If you're expecting to see one of the cast members in a white t-shirt after finding an underwater cache you're really going to be disappointed.

You know after reading this thread and even looking at the "trailer" I thought this was silly at best; but really when you look at it, I think it's great someone is putting together a short film with a tiny budget about a topic I'm interested in. A film for $25,000? I hope it succeeds and we get to see it.

As for criticism, the OP/writer/producer whatever, lives in LA and works in entertainment business, so I'm guessing he's pretty thick-skinned and can take the barbs with the praise.

Movie by guy who doesn't geocache: Well, I would suspect that most movies are made by producers and not the people the movie is about. At least this guy is reaching out to the GC community, and most movies have consultants on the technical topics (as do authors of fiction novels);

Cast: I sure as heck hope I don't have to look at REAL geocachers! Let's see some good looking talent! :laughing:

Set in a parking lot? Come on, this is Hollywood! We need backdrops like you see in National Treasure series! (Oh gosh, here comes Nick Cage.... :lol: )

As for the donate now option: There are lots of movies looking for funding this way. I happen to be from North Dakota, and there is a film company that raises funds in a similar fashion, and offers roles and other opportunities in exchange. It's capitalism folks! (to wit: http://nodakfilms.com/)

These short films often are often about interest areas that may not get to a major production. Check out this blog for some examples: http://www.lightsfilmschool.com/blog/branded-short-film-sponsor/1634/

Anyway, have fun and cheers!

well, these are not nobodies. Lesley Hope is a relatively known actress. I saw her in that show "The River". I grew tired of that show after like 3 episodes but still. I also remember her from the 1990 film Men at Work where she was the love interest for Charlie Sheen and IMDB shows a lot of stuff in between.

Crista Flanagan, she was in MadTV, some other small roles and even in Playboy.

Eloise Mumford was also in "The River" as well, but has some acting credits besides that too.

Gregg Henry has been in a lot of roles as well.

So, if done, will be done by folks in the industry. So, that would be interesting, but I can't imagine geocachers will think it authentic or real in any way shape fashion or form. Course, if it was real, then it would be boring. If you had a film maker follow you around on a routine day of caching (not a day you are doing a 5/5 on a trestle), I imagine it would be pretty boring.

Edited by lamoracke

oh God, looked up Jeff Galfer. He was in "The River" as well.

I looked up "The River" on IMDB and it has a 6.8 rating so obviously many others did not think it was too bad, but still, I wonder if it will be Geocaching meets "The River" which was an attempt to make a show like "Lost" but did not capture the magic, at least for me.

The River was well produced though, it was just hard to compete against Lost.

No Bruce Greenwood cameo in which he could pretend to be Jeremy Irish?

oh God, looked up Jeff Galfer. He was in "The River" as well.

I looked up "The River" on IMDB and it has a 6.8 rating so obviously many others did not think it was too bad, but still, I wonder if it will be Geocaching meets "The River" which was an attempt to make a show like "Lost" but did not capture the magic, at least for me.

The River was well produced though, it was just hard to compete against Lost.

No Bruce Greenwood cameo in which he could pretend to be Jeremy Irish?

I watched "The River" twice, mainly because they offered Get Glue stickers for it. If you don't know what that is, never mind. Rest assured it's a geeky internet game thing. Anyways, I thought the show was rather bizarre, including one guy being brought back to life with some Brazillian voodoo or something after being shot and killed. A very well produced show though. So yes, these people are not "nobody's", such as the people in GPS The Movie, referenced in the post above mine.

You know, you all are being kind of hard on this guy. Did anyone donate yet? :P

Well I am in at the $25 level I am curious what it will look like. I have funded a few projects now on Kickstarter and like being able to say I am helping people to do what they love.

Watching the trailer I had to tell myself he is selling this to a wider audience than us GPS wielding fanatics. What would be cool is if he produced a second youtube video pandering to the cachers with some wobbly footage of struggling through 200 feet of brambles and poison ivy to find the cache that was next to the trail he did not know was there till he found the cache.

Yes the title seems a bit off putting with "buried" but if you think about it buried can occur other ways too. Clues could be "buried" in a book, or someone may have to "dig" in a Wikipedia page for the answer to unlock the caches lock.

I did like the main image of the guy walking along with his head down looking at his GPS. Reminds me of the "FOCUS" t-shirt.

Mmm... with only the one post I call drive-by pandering for money foul.

I'm thinking this is the case. Other than the OP's single post in the geocaching forums, I haven't seen anything that indicates the movie is in any way related to geocaching. It looks like they just thought they'd post here and see if they could sucker in some people.

Both the teaser trailer and faqs at least mention geocaching.

You're right. I'd forgotten that one mention at the end of the "teaser". I just went back, and I eventually found that FAQ buried (pun intended) deep down the page. I see he tried to defend the title, but I still maintain it's a poor choice.

Both the teaser trailer and faqs at least mention geocaching.

You're right. I'd forgotten that one mention at the end of the "teaser". I just went back, and I eventually found that FAQ buried (pun intended) deep down the page. I see he tried to defend the title, but I still maintain it's a poor choice.

The references to Geocaching were added after the OP <_<

Ugh. It looks worse than "GPS the movie" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464006/

Hey, that movie looks good. Maybe I will try to watch it. It sound awfuly similar to a geocaching storie I read online a while back. I wonder if the movie bought the rights to the storie, or if there is a pending lawsuit?

(Can't seem to find the storie, but it is not "First To Find" by Mark Gessner. That is a different story altogeather.)

Edit: Found the story I was thinking of. It is "Serial Finder" writen by, Serial Finder

http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time/article/serial_finder_-_chapter_1_of_14_08-6-08-11-08-24

Edited by Andronicus