Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
crashmore

Presentation Help

Over the last week I've recieved a bunch of requests to come and give a geocaching presentation to various local groups etc..

Before I start from scratch on a geocaching powerpoint / presentation I was wondering if anyone already has one done that you'd be willing to share. I could at least use it as a starting point.

Any help would be much appreciated!

"Law pain i reviar mistar aen"

Hi I'm doing a presentation for my bd. of Ed. Would you mind if I take a look at your presentation also? certainly would appreciate it. JMQ

quote:
Originally posted by KaiserKlan:

I have one that I did for the Scouting program, that I could send you if interested.

-- the GeoScouter

Thanks I loved to see it. Any input is greatly appreciated. JMQ

I, too, am planning a presentation soon for a group of 5th graders. Could I obtain a copy of your presentation?

InspGadget@sbcglobal.net

quote:
Originally posted by KaiserKlan:

I have one that I did for the Scouting program, that I could send you if interested.

-- the GeoScouter

I've got a ppt. I used for applying for a grant to get GPSr's for summer school. Anyone interested, email me and I'll fire it back to you. GeoVet

If you read bad things about education, thank a teacher.

I have a ppt. that I used to apply for grant $ to buy GPSr's for summer school. Email me if you're interested. GeoVet

I would love to get a copy of your PP presentation. I do some scouting stuff and was ready to put one togeter. Thanks,

quote:
Originally posted by GeoVet:

I've got a ppt. I used for applying for a grant to get GPSr's for summer school. Anyone interested, email me and I'll fire it back to you. GeoVet

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did a presentation today for a group of principals and superintendents (about 25). They were all very skeptical at first and there was a bit of apprehension but once they got going, geocaching was a hit. Each team had a good discussion upon return about how this can be used to motivate and help students learn. Of the 25, I am guessing that about 5-6 will be buyi :rolleyes: ng their own personal GPS after today. We had lots of fun! They commented that this was a perfect staff development activity!!

I am to give a presentation to a bunch of 5 year olds on Thursday. I've already started putting together a ppt and have mapped out a simple cache course on the playground. But I started thinking that it would be much simpler to just ask for any of you that alread have ppt's put together if you would mind emailing me a copy. It'd really help cut down on my development as I'm no expert on the Global Positioning System nor PowerPoint!

In case that paragraph didn't make sense... any of you that alread have presentations put together, please email me a copy!

BTW, my email address, for those of you sending me an attached ppt, is

btNOSPAMouch@yahoo.com

Just remove the NOSPAM part.

Thanks!

I have one that I did for the Scouting program, that I could send you if interested.<BR><BR>-- the GeoScouter

I would love to see it as well. Scouts Geocaching has REALLY picked up around here and we have been asked by several groups to do a presentation/demo this coming year and would very much like to see what you have done.

My email is ReeseJunk@hotmail.com

Thanks

I am doing a presentaion at the National Recreation and Parks congress in November, after it is one I will be glad to share what I have with anyone. If anyone has anything that I can use please share. Thanks

I teach High Ability Learners (Gifted Children) in the Elkhorn Public Schools in Elkhorn Nebraska.

I am looking for someone to come and talk to my 5th graders about GPS and geocaching next week.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Jennifer Tharp

jtharp@epsne.org

jennifer_tharp@hotmail.com

I'm a homeschooler mom, and I'm teaching a 4-H Jr. group about geocaching. I would love to get a copy of someone's PP Pres. That would really help me & our kids out. Please let me know how I could get a copy ASAP. Thanx

I don't have a PowerPoint presentation, but some of the following information I put together for NYGO may be of help to you. Feel free to use whatever parts you like in your presentation. If you have any improvements, I'd love for you to share them.

Information About Geocaching from the NYGO website. It contains information on:

3.1 The Global Positioning System (GPS)

3.2 GPS Units

3.3 Traditional Geocaching

3.4 Travel Bugs

3.5 Benchmarking

3.6 Cache-In/Trash-Out (CITO)

3.7 Community Involvement

3.8 Benefits to Land Managers

3.9 Common Misconceptions About Geocaching

3.10 Common Concerns of Land Managers

3.11 Geocaching Organizations

Hi,

I'm giving a Geocaching presentation to a local community center on Thursday of this week.

I put together two presentations, a powerpoint presentation to start with and an activity for the kids. After these we are going out on the property to actually do a geocache. The community center has 8 GPS units they will use for the activity.

You can download the presentation and activity at this link:

http://www.bmi-online.com/Geocaching

Let me know what you think.

Geo-Actuary

Edited by Geo-Actuary

Geo-Actuary,

I'm a 7th grade science teacher & I love your PowerPoint -- probably the nicest package I've seen so far. It's both visually appealing & concise. I especially like the illustration of a person's location with the 3 circles...

You might want to add a link to a Flash(?) movie at brainpop.com about how GPS works. It's quite entertaining!

The PDF file looks great, too!

Thanks for posting your work!,

-Jason

Edited by jkibbe

Geo-Actuary,

That is a really nice presentation!

As jkibbe mentioned, I too like how it covers the basics and is concise. It's also very friendly and would be good to use for new geocachers.

I'm now feeling inspired to do something similar targeted at land managers since the link I posted above is all text and not nearly as flashy.

Ferreter5

Edited by Ferreter5

jkibbe & Ferreter5,

Thanks for the favorable input! Feel free to use whatever you want and change whatever fits your needs.

I put the stuff in at the end about the Legend and Summit because the place that is sponsoring the talk tonight has 7 Summits and 1 Legend for the attendees to use.

Hey Ferreter5, how come you were not at the Highland Park GPS Orienteering Event this last Sunday? It's just around the corner from you.

Jkibbe, I tried to get to that movie at brainpop.com, but I think they want money to get into their site.

Thanks again,

Geo-Actuary

Geo-Actuary,

Very nice presentation. I have several training sessions coming up, and will likely use parts of your presentation.

First of all, I am teaching an Introduction to GPS course through the Rush-Henrietta Continuing Education Division next week. It's set for two Mondays (Sept 27 and Oct 4). The first night will be lecture style and the second night will be an outdoor demonstration.

NYGO is hosting training sessions at Letchworth State Park (9/25) and Darien Lakes State Park (9/26) this weekend. Probably won't be able to use the powerpoint there, but might use a few slides as hand outs.

On October 2 I will be in Manlius to do a presentation for the Girl Scouts. Then on October 9th I'm going to have a display table set up for the Boy Scouts here in Rochester at an event they are having.

Just this morning, I was speaking with the event coordinator at Gander Mountain. They asked if I could do a presentation on geocaching for them on October 23rd.

I haven't had much time to put together a PowerPoint presentation, so it's great that you posted yours. I'm sure it will come in quite handy.

Thanks again!

By the way, glad to see you had a better turn out for your GPS-O event this time.

Hey Ferreter5, how come you were not at the Highland Park GPS Orienteering Event this last Sunday?  It's just around the corner from you.

Aye, I saw the listing for the event. But, I was out and about all day on Saturday and thought my family might like to see me around the house on Sunday. ;)

I try to limit my participation in all-day events so I'm not always running off to do something and leaving the rest of my family behind. ;) They're not really interested in going to these kinds of things.

I hope your event was a smash! :P

First of all, I am teaching an Introduction to GPS course through the Rush-Henrietta Continuing Education Division next week ... NYGO is hosting training sessions at Letchworth State Park (9/25) and Darien Lakes State Park (9/26) ... On October 2 I will be in Manlius ... on October 9th I'm going to have a display table set up for the Boy Scouts ... Just this morning they asked if I could do a presentation on geocaching for them on October 23rd.

Hi jungehair,

Do you have a real job!

We missed you on Sunday and yes, the turnout was much better. Everyone had fun and they are looking forward to the next one. It'll be on the '05 schedule.

Feel free to use whatever you want from my stuff.

Geo-Actuary

Jkibbe, I tried to get to that movie at brainpop.com, but I think they want money to get into their site.

Sorry about the brainpop.com link. I just visited the site a few days ago and everything was free, they just limited you to 2 movies per day. Now it seems that only a few movies are free, GPS not being one of them. I guess too many people learned you could watch as many as you want if you delete your cookies! Oh well!

Hi all you educators - it's me again.

I gave my power point presentation to about 40 people on Thursday night (09/23) and then we went out and found some hidden caches on the property of the local community center. Everyone had a blast and they were very interested in getting a unit and getting involved in Geocaching.

I did re-think the presentation and made some changes to it to give more emphasis on how to use the GPS unit while going a bit lighter on the history. The reason was that when the people got the units in their hands, it took a while to get them up and running. I think the new presentation covers more of the basics and isn't really that much longer.

The Pirate's Treasure Hunt for the kids worked out good too. I had a couple kids read the Treasure Map to the others. They found the treasure and then went on to use the GPS units with their parents.

Here is the link again for the presentation.

Mike

Fourty people, wow -- that's outstanding! I'm glad your presentation went well.

Thanks for the tip off about the troubles people were having learning how to use the GPS units. I think using them is something we all take for granted.

KaiserKlan,

That is a very fun presentation! I can feel the fun and excitement on each slide. Kudos on a good one.

Ferreter5

KaiserKlan,

Very nice job. I like the fact that it's less "formal" than what I did. But as an actuary who works with numbers all day, I don't have much of a creative side :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the link!

Geo-Actuary

Here's my PowerPoint to add to the resource list for geocachers who need to create a presentation. This was designed especially for park managers. I borrowed content from a few others' presentations and came up with a bunch of new stuff too. Feel free to download and adapt it to suit your purposes. Note that I also included a presenter's suggested script in the "notes".

Edited by kbraband

Our family first discovered geocaching early in 2004. At first it was just my husband, KK7UZ. The rest of us tagged along. This past summer I decided to sign up for my own user name, and a few weeks later our sons decided they wanted to be their own user and became Cachinator & Co.

At the present time, my fifth grader and third grader are working on a geocaching presentation to present for their classes. The fifth grader is currently reading "Geocaching for Dummies." The third grader is reading "The Complete Idiots Guide to Geocaching." The older son is required to give reports on the books he reads, but it has to be more than just a few paragraph summary. His younger brother is helping him put together a powerpoint presentation and then we are going to hide several temporary 'caches' on campus and search for them in small groups. We are also looking for a place to hide a permanent cache that can be listed on the website.

I am looking forward to looking at some of the various presentations that have been put together. I am a substitute teacher and was toying with the idea of putting together some geocaching lessons to use partly as fillers since I sub specifically in one building and therefore teach many of the same students many times throughout the year.

Any suggestions for what to include int he presentation would be helpful.

I just wanted to bump this for other educators looking into using Gps receivers in their classrooms. Some of the presentations are awesome! Thanks for your work guys!

How come all these links are broken? except one?

Hehe - did you look at the dates of the posts? Last post before yours was 2005 - so I would imagine the info is beyond dated. . .

How come all these links are broken? except one?

Hehe - did you look at the dates of the posts? Last post before yours was 2005 - so I would imagine the info is beyond dated. . .

Yeah I know. it's old

Hi all you educators - it's me again.

I gave my power point presentation to about 40 people on Thursday night (09/23) and then we went out and found some hidden caches on the property of the local community center. Everyone had a blast and they were very interested in getting a unit and getting involved in Geocaching.

I did re-think the presentation and made some changes to it to give more emphasis on how to use the GPS unit while going a bit lighter on the history. The reason was that when the people got the units in their hands, it took a while to get them up and running. I think the new presentation covers more of the basics and isn't really that much longer.

The Pirate's Treasure Hunt for the kids worked out good too. I had a couple kids read the Treasure Map to the others. They found the treasure and then went on to use the GPS units with their parents.

Here is the link again for the presentation.

Mike

The link doesn't work???

I'd like some of these resources, but am having 'issues' downloading them. Please reply to this if we can connect offline with my personal email!!

THANKS!!