Propose new Cache Type = QRCache

ktemplin

Over in another discussion thread I talked about adding features inside the smartphone app to speed up the logging process. Thru the threads and private messages i realized there is another more fun use of QR Code technology. Thus I propose the following:

1. Ground Speak create a new type of Cache called QRCache

2. Update the Smartphone app so it can use the camera to scan the QR code and launch the cache’s log

3. Make the data inside the QR code so ONLY the Geocaching app knows which cache log to open

4. Make the data inside the QR code that is scanned by any other QR reader app will launch a generic geocaching web page describing what Geocaching is.

5. Make it so someone cannot log the cache one Geocaching.com

6. Create a applet on the website to generate the QR code with the data set mentioned above.

Here is a sample of a QRcode:

qwkov.jpg

The biggest benefit of this type of cache I see is that the “Cache” can be in plain site. These can printed on stickers and affixed to items anywhere.

Some may say this type is not fair to those who do not have smart phones. I would counter this with caches that are underwater needing scuba gear, caches that handicap members could not get to.

Hello,

Did you know that there is a special category of Geocaching Challenges called QR Challenges? You can read more about them in the Challenges section of these Forums, such as in this active thread.

Groundspeak generally defines "geocaches" as "containers that have a logbook," so the QR Code category has found its home in the related "Challenges" GPS activity.

Hello,

Did you know that there is a special category of Geocaching Challenges called QR Challenges? You can read more about them in the Challenges section of these Forums, such as in this active thread.

Groundspeak generally defines "geocaches" as "containers that have a logbook," so the QR Code category has found its home in the related "Challenges" GPS activity.

Oh gees, I was 2 mins too late!!!

Hello,

Oh gees, I was 2 mins too late!!!

Well it looks like that have a different spin on this, so we will wait to see how it goes.

I don't think this is a good idea, as there is already another website dedicated to QR codes and the hiding of them. Plus, the new type of Geocaching Challenge already exists.

Actually, the QR code Geocaching Challenge type does not yet exist although there is a page in the Help section and a video which describes how they will work.

I don't think this is a good idea, as there is already another website dedicated to QR codes and the hiding of them. Plus, the new type of Geocaching Challenge already exists.

Actually, the QR code Geocaching Challenge type does not yet exist although there is a page in the Help section and a video which describes how they will work.

Oh, my bad, I thought they already existed.

3. Make the data inside the QR code so ONLY the Geocaching app knows which cache log to open

4. Make the data inside the QR code that is scanned by any other QR reader app will launch a generic geocaching web page describing what Geocaching is.

5. Make it so someone cannot log the cache one Geocaching.com

Please don't.

If you want to require scanning the QR code, fine. It sounds like a warmed-over keyword cache to me, but that's not the issue.

But don't tell me how to scan the QR code. I should be able to use other apps. If I want to, then I should even be able to take a photo with an old film camera, have the film processed, scan a photo of the QR code on an old flatbed scanner, and upload the scan to an online QR code reader.

If I want to, then I should even be able to take a photo with an old film camera, have the film processed, scan a photo of the QR code on an old flatbed scanner, and upload the scan to an online QR code reader.

That's what I think is the biggest downfall with "that other QR code game". They require you to scan it within a small distance of GZ. That pretty much kills it for any tourists or anyone traveling outside of their cell provider's coverage area.

Isn't the best part about Geocaching the searching for the cache? I don't think it would be fun just scanning QR codes which are placed in plain sight.

Actually, the page about the different types of challenges quoted above states:

"QR codes might be out in the open as part of an existing display, or covertly hidden for extra stealth. " When I first heard about QR challenges my first thought was that it would be fun to place one such that it was covertly hidden such that it could only be scanned if you were viewing it from a specific angle (i.e. under a tank, looking down a pipe, etc.)

If I want to, then I should even be able to take a photo with an old film camera, have the film processed, scan a photo of the QR code on an old flatbed scanner, and upload the scan to an online QR code reader.

That's what I think is the biggest downfall with "that other QR code game". They require you to scan it within a small distance of GZ. That pretty much kills it for any tourists or anyone traveling outside of their cell provider's coverage area.

That has been changed, there is now offline capturing

That has been changed, there is now offline capturing

Yeah, I noticed that a little while back. It doesn't help much, though. There's no way to save them offline, so you still need a data connection to find them.

I think I'll stick with geocaching, thank you very much...