California city promotes geocaching in tourism commercials

Wintertime

This morning I was listening to one of the larger radio stations in San Francisco when they ran a spot encouraging people to visit Redding, which is a few hundred miles north of us along the main interstate to Oregon. Imagine my surprise when the list of activities to enjoy in Redding included geocaching!

I just found this page on the Redding tourism website:

http://www.visitredding.com/geocashing.php

Yeah, they spelled it wrong a few places on that page and also on the Outdoor Adventure page that it's linked from. :sad: Maybe I'll drop them a note. But it's still good publicity for geocaching!

BTW, the idea of Bay Area folks visiting Redding used to be a joke; it was just a place where you stopped to refuel the car and maybe get some lunch on your way to somewhere more interesting, such as Lassen Volcanic National Park or the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. :laughing: But with the creation of the Turtle Bay Exploration Park and the beautiful Sundial Bridge, and I think maybe a rising arts community, Redding is now becoming a destination in its own right.

So, kudos to the Redding Convention and Visitors Bureau for promoting geocaching in their city!

Patty

Raspberries to the Redding Convention and Visitors Bureau for co-opting an independent game to further their own goals.

This game does not need publicity.

Very well put!

Am I smelling the flowers on a new branch of the tree of angst? :unsure:

I enjoyed caching in Redding. I even bought a Sundial Bridge geocoin.

Cities embracing geocaching is a good thing, but they do often get it wrong when they don't consult a subject matter expert. My home town of Mammoth Lakes, Ca. did the same thing. Even asked my sister to contact me to look at their site... But I never got a response to my suggestions for correcting their site and they never did much more with it...

Oh, waily, waily, waily! A city is encouraging people to come for a visit and experience their many fine key safes, pill bottles and blinkies.

mad.jpg

Someone tell all the birds, squirrels, rabbits, butterflies, lakes, streams, beautiful vistas and stuff to be wary of people marketing them to suit their commercial means.

Honestly.

Why not just visit Redding this Summer for their blazing 100+ degree heat?

Also, be wary of state parks which try to encourage people to come for a grand tour of their many fine ammo boxen and Lock & Locks!

buryyou.jpg

OK, actually I'm very cool with this, the more they embrace us the more we can leverage that to open up areas (or keep them open) to geocaching!

Muah ha ha ha haaaa!

kaboom.gif

Raspberries to the Redding Convention and Visitors Bureau for co-opting an independent game to further their own goals.

This game does not need publicity.

Very well put!

Am I smelling the flowers on a new branch of the tree of angst? :unsure:

I enjoyed caching in Redding. I even bought a Sundial Bridge geocoin.

Cities embracing geocaching is a good thing, but they do often get it wrong when they don't consult a subject matter expert. My home town of Mammoth Lakes, Ca. did the same thing. Even asked my sister to contact me to look at their site... But I never got a response to my suggestions for correcting their site and they never did much more with it...

Angst to you, perhaps. Personal opinion to me.

Angst to you, perhaps. Personal opinion to me.

My friend, it is well known that anyone with a personal opinion that doesn't co-incide with the Snoogster's is full of ANGST.

Why would anyone not embrace the disclosure of the full glory of Geocaching to the citizens of (and potential visitors to) Redding?

What I want to know is how may caches there are on the Redding powertrail, and what do I need to do to get their limited edition Geocoin for finding all of them. :lol:

This morning I was listening to one of the larger radio stations in San Francisco when they ran a spot encouraging people to visit Redding, which is a few hundred miles north of us along the main interstate to Oregon. Imagine my surprise when the list of activities to enjoy in Redding included geocaching!

I just found this page on the Redding tourism website:

http://www.visitredding.com/geocashing.php

Yeah, they spelled it wrong a few places on that page and also on the Outdoor Adventure page that it's linked from. :sad: Maybe I'll drop them a note. But it's still good publicity for geocaching!

BTW, the idea of Bay Area folks visiting Redding used to be a joke; it was just a place where you stopped to refuel the car and maybe get some lunch on your way to somewhere more interesting, such as Lassen Volcanic National Park or the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. :laughing: But with the creation of the Turtle Bay Exploration Park and the beautiful Sundial Bridge, and I think maybe a rising arts community, Redding is now becoming a destination in its own right.

So, kudos to the Redding Convention and Visitors Bureau for promoting geocaching in their city!

Patty

I use to live in Red Bluff and I know Big Bear.

And I am happy for you and your town.

Too bad it gets HOT there in the summer time.

In the cooler months it is so beautiful,with the river and Shasta Lake. Great firework and boat races (they still have those right?)in Red Bluff. Squaw fish derbys.

The good old days.

Added: And how many times do these types of publicity can't spell Caching. Noticed it says. GeoCashing. Guess the city is expecting money to be in the caches.

Edited by jellis

I use to live in Red Bluff and I know Big Bear.

And I am happy for you and your town.

Too bad it gets HOT there in the summer time.

In the cooler months it is so beautiful,with the river and Shasta Lake. Great firework and boat races (they still have those right?)in Red Bluff. Squaw fish derbys.

The good old days.

Added: And how many times do these types of publicity can't spell Caching. Noticed it says. GeoCashing. Guess the city is expecting money to be in the caches.

My father lives in Red Bluff. I was there a couple of years ago in the summer and it is indeed very hot. I didn't even look for any caches there but we did go to a rodeo that was a lot of fun. At the time I was there the Geocaching Maze was in Redding.