help my gpsmap60csx

when I send caches from the site to my gps it says successfully sent, but when I look on my gps, it only show the same ones I put on there a few months ago. where do I find the new ones? does it only show the ones close to your current location or all of them that I have sent to the gps? I love geocaching, I hate this gps. why isn't it easier to use and why isn't the instruction book a real instruction book?? Roxanne

Do you mean on the list? My 60csx will only show those caches nearest to me. Scroll your mouse over to the area in question and see if they are on the map.

I hear you -this gps is most definitely not intuitive to use. I learn something new about it each time I use it...

when I send caches from the site to my gps it says successfully sent, but when I look on my gps, it only show the same ones I put on there a few months ago. where do I find the new ones? does it only show the ones close to your current location or all of them that I have sent to the gps? I love geocaching, I hate this gps. why isn't it easier to use and why isn't the instruction book a real instruction book?? Roxanne

When you're looking at the list you can tell it to list them by name or by distance. Press the Menu button to switch between them.

If you send waypoints to the GPS it won't delete the existing ones. You can do that from the Trip Computer screen, press Menu, choose Reset and select the options you want.

It's worth sticking with the 60CSx, for the longest time it was the unit against which the others were measured.

Yep, so changed the reference point and looked around on the map, the last 15 that I downloaded and it said sent successfully are nowhere to be found. I am ready to throw this thing in the garbage. My sister got some cheap el basic gps and her and her girls are loving this game. I sit here and press buttons and search for help and this thing makes it NOT FUN. The least user friendly piece of technology I have ever owned! Is there a max it holds or something... the last 15 are not there, but some old ones that I never got time to find because they were downloaded for a trip and we got too busy.... those old ones are there. I searched them by name and they are not there either. Uggh. I am not having fun. Wanted to geocache out camping this weekend, oh well , it is going to snow anyways. I got an instruction book with this thing, but will check the garmin site for something with proper details. Roxanne

An additional note: I checked the Garmin website and just as I thought there is about one paragraph on geocaching. Uggh. Now I have tried to send the same ones multiple times out of frustration and they are still not there. Not in the list, not on the map nowhere. Will put it back in the drawer like I did about two weeks ago. What a waste of money, so NOT user friendly. Roxanne

When you're looking at the list you can tell it to list them by name or by distance. Press the Menu button to switch between them.

If you send waypoints to the GPS it won't delete the existing ones. You can do that from the Trip Computer screen, press Menu, choose Reset and select the options you want.

It's worth sticking with the 60CSx, for the longest time it was the unit against which the others were measured.

Edited by 4creekcachers

The Macintosh version or Garmin Communicator v4.0.1.0 has a bug, you should not use it but use either the beta v4.0.1.1 or roll back to v3.0.1

That's true. You can list it for sale here or on eBay. I was outbid a few times on eBay before I snagged mine.

That being said,....deep breaths..I know how frustrating computers and such can be. It's a steep learning curve, but it can be done. Maybe start over from square one...

Edited by JesandTodd
That being said,....deep breaths..I know how frustrating computers and such can be. It's a steep learning curve, but it can be done. Maybe start over from square one...

Agree-- try starting over.

I've used Garmins for years and have a new eTrex 30, but still consider my 60CSx to be the better GPS. If it had paperless geocaching it would be darn near perfect.

So those caches should be there if you actually downloaded them correctly. If you would say exactly what 'when I send caches from the site to my gps it says successfully sent,' means perhaps we can be more help. As .loc or .gps files one at a time? In a PQ?

Maybe do one cache download very deliberately and see exactly what is going on. You possibly could have a bad USB cable although I wouldn't expect to get a successfully sent message in that case.

I use GPSBabel: http://www.gpsbabel.org/

Have you been downloading multicaches?

One thing to try is to click on "Waypoints".

Press the "find" button, and then click on "waypoints".

I have no idea why, but sometimes caches get sent to "waypoints" instead of "geocaches". And they're not multicaches, so I'm baffled.

And now we have a new folder on the gps: "recently found caches" that has a mix of found and not found caches listed. Count me baffled x2.

But I still love this gps, whereas the two previous ones darned near got thrown in the nearest body of water numerous times.

I have set a project for myself: cleaning up the saved gpx files on the computer and cleaning out the disorganized mess of info on the gps. I figure it's going to be a 2-coffee job, at least.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

i love my 60csx, if its set up correctly, when you're out in the field and it says you're at the gz, you are there. did you try looking in recent finds.

Is there a magic setting to change the the 60CSX to list by geocache text name, Here's to You, Mike Ott! versus the code " GC3JYE4 "

Do the 60CSX ever transfer hints? (o.k. i admit I use hints when caching)

I just got this on ebay and wonder if I need to buy GARMIN maps or find some other map to put on the unit.

Excited to own a 60 next time I may buy new.

Listing by cache name in the 60CSx is a product of using GSAK (or GPX Spinner) as a middle man. There is no setting for it on the GPS unit, because the caches as they come off the website, do not use the Cache Names as the location names, they use the GC number, and then it is GSAK (or GPX Spinner) that mix things up a bit, and move the name around to the place of the GC number, before it gets transferred from the computer to the GPS unit.

The 60CSx can not contain the hints. There also is a GSAK macro that will convert the hints into a form that is readable by the 60CSx, but it is a hack (because the 60CSx was not designed for this), and very limited, it can only hold something like 24 characters, if it's longer than than, it gets cut off.

Thought in it's defense, the 60CSx is one of, if not THE, most accurate consumer unit that you can buy, I'm told that it's more accurate than the newer 62 series that replace it in Garmin's product line. The 60CSx is a great unit, I've had 3 of them.

You can get the hint, or partial in the 60 series from GSAK. In the GPS menu tab, in the 'Waypoint Description format' I put %drop2(%typ1)%con1(%dif1a%ter1a)(%hint)

This drops the GC in the number and tells me the type of cache, container size and the diff/terrain. What's left over gets the hint. If you were only concerned about the hint, just use %hint and that will give you the hint up to the number of characters allowed, about 50 IRRC.

Thanks so much for letting me know that the garmin communicator wasn't working. That really had me stumped and didn't have tons of time to read all the other posts to realize that everyone is having the same problem. You would think the website would take the link off there since it does not work! I really appreciate it. I guess I will keep my map60csx a little longer...lol. Thanks again.

The Macintosh version or Garmin Communicator v4.0.1.0 has a bug, you should not use it but use either the beta v4.0.1.1 or roll back to v3.0.1

The instruction manual on the website and the one I received with my purchase from Costco... suck! They say virtually nothing about geocaching except that it can be done and to turn on your icon that will indicate them on the map. The rest is all trial and error! Geez, how lazy, can't even print a proper instruction book. Now that I have went back to the old version of the communicator for mac... it is working again... thanks for the help everyone. Roxanne

Don't have a 60 but I know some GPS only display the nearest 20, try scrolling the map as they should show up on the map if they're there.

Have you downloaded the full manual from Garmins website?

Listing by cache name in the 60CSx is a product of using GSAK (or GPX Spinner) as a middle man. There is no setting for it on the GPS unit, because the caches as they come off the website, do not use the Cache Names as the location names, they use the GC number, and then it is GSAK (or GPX Spinner) that mix things up a bit, and move the name around to the place of the GC number, before it gets transferred from the computer to the GPS unit.

The 60CSx can not contain the hints. There also is a GSAK macro that will convert the hints into a form that is readable by the 60CSx, but it is a hack (because the 60CSx was not designed for this), and very limited, it can only hold something like 24 characters, if it's longer than than, it gets cut off.

Thought in it's defense, the 60CSx is one of, if not THE, most accurate consumer unit that you can buy, I'm told that it's more accurate than the newer 62 series that replace it in Garmin's product line. The 60CSx is a great unit, I've had 3 of them.

Not quite 100% accurate, EasyGPS can be setup to show the cache name and the hint on a 76CSx or a 60CSx. The only drawback is you are limited to how many characters it will show for the hint.

You can get the hint, or partial in the 60 series from GSAK. In the GPS menu tab, in the 'Waypoint Description format' I put %drop2(%typ1)%con1(%dif1a%ter1a)(%hint)

This drops the GC in the number and tells me the type of cache, container size and the diff/terrain. What's left over gets the hint. If you were only concerned about the hint, just use %hint and that will give you the hint up to the number of characters allowed, about 50 IRRC.

I don't see "Waypoint Description format" in GSAK. The GPS tab when GSAK is open only shows "setup", "send" or "receive". Am I looking in the right place??

I don't see "Waypoint Description format" in GSAK. The GPS tab when GSAK is open only shows "setup", "send" or "receive". Am I looking in the right place??

OK, I saw the "waypoint description format", I tried that your code but still do not see much info in the notes section. I also tried just puting in the %hint with no luck on notes. I adjusted the characters from 14 to 50 and that still did not work. Do I need to install a macro first?