Gramin eTrex 20 "sticky issue"?

I'm looking into buying a GPS unit for geocaching as I find my iPhone doesn't really do the job too well.

So I've been lurking around the internet looking at reviews and such and decided that I liked the Garmin eTrex 20,

but then I watched a review where once you get too close to the geocache the device kind of "sticks" if you're walking slowly and doesn't track your movement.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had that issue, or if it was just a software bug or something?

I never got it on mine, but those that have say it's fixed with software 2.73 :)

Ditto...sussamb and I seem to have very similar experiences with our E20's....i.e. our devices have never given cause for concern. Go for it! get yourself an Etrex 20, you'll be glad you did.

Croesgadwr

North Wales.

What other types of issues are you having?

Among other stuff, these are the things that come to mind:

Device forgets destination after power cycle

Device forgets route after power cycle

Device follows tracks/trackback backwards, against the direction they are defined

Device says I'm arriving at a waypoint whenever the device is turned on, even if I'm far away

Device searches for points of interest so slow it's almost unusable (Can take several minutes)

Compass is highly unstable and unreliable, I just keep it turned off most of the time (eTrex 30 only)

Google for "Horrible bananaware strikes back" and you'll get an Amazon review. I didn't write it, but I do agree with the reviewer's main arguments. There seems to be no solid framework behind the firmware. They have a lot of work to do still, but at version 2.73b it's starting to become quite usable. My list above is still valid, though.

If the thread creator doesn't have anything against touchscreens, the Garmin Dakota 20 might also be worthwhile checking out. Essentially the same thing but with a touchscreen, no glonass receiver and (hopefully) fewer software bugs!

Edited by tr_s

Yeah, I also prefer buttons. I;d probably hit something accidentally with the touch screen :P

And the GLONASS seems a better idea to me as well.

I prefer buttons as well, just keep in mind that those GPSes use resistive touchscreens so they can be handled with gloves and are harder to mistype on than for instance smartphones.

What other types of issues are you having?

Among other stuff, these are the things that come to mind:

Device forgets destination after power cycle

Device forgets route after power cycle

Device follows tracks/trackback backwards, against the direction they are defined

Device says I'm arriving at a waypoint whenever the device is turned on, even if I'm far away

Device searches for points of interest so slow it's almost unusable (Can take several minutes)

Compass is highly unstable and unreliable, I just keep it turned off most of the time (eTrex 30 only)

Google for "Horrible bananaware strikes back" and you'll get an Amazon review. I didn't write it, but I do agree with the reviewer's main arguments. There seems to be no solid framework behind the firmware. They have a lot of work to do still, but at version 2.73b it's starting to become quite usable. My list above is still valid, though.

I would add to this that the unit freezes up often when auto-routing. I realize that many people don't use this unit for auto-routing, so they don't have the problem but I purchased the City Navigator SD card for my eTrex 20.

If you miss a turn or don't follow the turn by turn directions, rather than recalculating a new route, it freezes up, and must be turned off and back on to function.

If you drive past a destination, it freezes up.

This is my 6th GPSr and I am luke-warm on this unit. I like the features when they work, but overall the unit wasn't ready for prime-time, yet. Still too many bugs.

Edited by GrnXnham

>>>If you miss a turn or don't follow the turn by turn directions, rather than recalculating a new route, it freezes up, and must be turned off and back on to function.<<<

Really !?! I was surprised to hear that. That's one area where my 20 works quite well! I use OSM maps in the internal store, I keep the maps sizes small and only enable the one I need.

Entering addresses and searching POIs is rubbish... But once I have a destination loaded it works great! ( for a handheld gps that is... It can't compete with a dedicated car gps )

It would be really sad if garmins own maps don't work correctly !!!!!

Purchased mine in January of this year, and had no probs what-so-ever....

BUT, occasionally... and usually after reading some of these threads, I must admit that I do consider 'bin-ing it'.

Only joking, rock-on the Etrex range (and the '20 in particular!)!!

Croesgadwr