for kids

GeoVet
Followers 0

a Garmin Legend would fit the bill nicely. It's the only GPS I've ever used, so can't give a very unbiased report, but my 8th grade son figured it out in no time. It's very user-friendly, and seems rugged enough.

---------------

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

quote:
Originally posted by GeoVet:

What's the best unit for kids to use? I got a grant so $ is no big deal. We're talking middle schoolers here. Any experiences / advice to share? Thanks

My 11 year old son uses our Magellan 315 without any problems. He is saving for one that has better maps and can hook up to his laptop, so we can better navigate to his auditions when we aren't internet connected for mapquest. I'm all for it.....I don't like thomas guides so this may just keep both of us happy, and caching when he's done [^] icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

quote:

What's the best unit for kids to use? I got a grant so $ is no big deal. We're talking middle schoolers here. Any experiences / advice to share? Thanks

My 11 year old son uses our Magellan 315 without any problems. He is saving for one that has better maps and can hook up to his laptop, so we can better navigate to his auditions when we aren't internet connected for mapquest. I'm all for it.....I don't like thomas guides so this may just keep both of us happy, and caching when he's done [^] icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

quote:

The Garmin Geko 101 or 201, inexpensive and small, easy to use.

I have a garmin etrex and my sons us it without problem. I have a friend that teaches technology in middle school and they have Magellans that the State of SD loans them. They are doing really cool stuff with GPS and GIS software.

Lets make this easy for all of you I am a middle scholler and bought me a Garmin Etrex Legend for about $100.00 and use it all the time what I would do is trash the manuals (don't let the studends know it came with them) and let them fiqure it out them there selfs then they probaly will know the gps better than it self because then they can learn about all the options it has to offer then just looking at a manual for something in speciffic just let them mess with the thing.

Its pretty hard to break I have ran over it with the 4x4 Wheeler several times (I didn't clip it into the mount right) And I have accediently dropped it into the lake had to go down and fetch it still on... Umm what else

Hey, this is Jumbo jack and I am in grade 8.I got the Magellean Sportrak and it is working great. It took somereading, but it paid off. So I recommend the Magellean Sportrak.

Jumbo Jack

quote:

quote:
... I am a middle scholler and bought me a Garmin Etrex Legend for about $100.00 and use it all the time what I would do is trash the manuals (don't let the studends know it came with them) and let them fiqure it out them there selfs then they probaly will know the gps better than it self because then they can learn about all the options it has to offer then just looking at a manual for something in speciffic just let them mess with the thing.

I think Michael is pretty much spot on. My thought is that if I can figure it out, my 9 and 10 year olds certainly can. They buy or rent a new video game and never read the manuals. In my experience, manuals are best left for reference (though quick start guides are helpful.)

As to models, either of my boys can program and use our basic eTrex or our Vista with no problem. They seem to have taken to the Vista real well - perhaps the joystick makes them comfortable because it is like a game controller.

George

I work with 4-H youth and we mostle use the garmin e-trex it has all of the basic functions and is very user friendly another good model we have dicoverd is the garmin rhino the advatge this has is it has a two way radio built into it so that if you have lots of kids or groups of kids out there at one time you can comunicate with them.

Followers 0