Ticks: A little help

If you live in an area with ticks in the grass, what do you do to either prevent getting them on you, or rid yourself when you get home. I'm just a little tired of stripping and changing after Every cache outing. Tips anyone ?

This Spring, I began using Permethrin on clothing (Sawyer spray, and professionally treated items). I haven't seen any ticks at all while wearing Permethrin clothes, which amazed me, after caching in some pretty infested places. Ticks walk around in Deet and laugh at me. With Permethrin, they get dead. I guess. Seriously, try it.

Here's a recent tick thread about Permethrin:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=295169&st=0&p=5034110&fromsearch=1entry5034110

I must say I have had great luck with a spray that is 40% DEET. I went deep in the heart of the beast Lyme CT this past weekend and came out tick free. I went out again on Sunday with the same clothes, same coating of deet on my skin and walk away tick free....

Hmmm. I had heard about deet. The strength would be a key factor, however, where I live in Canada, deet is banned as far as I know. The only deet I'll find is in a little bottle of muskol in my retired fathers tackle box.

Edit to say that my tired eyes didn't see the link that was posted. I have since read it and if getting deet-containing products will be an issue, this Permethrin stuff should be what I use.

Edited by DahliaMilloy

Finding deet in Southern Ontario isn't a problem... just go to your local store and they should have tons of sprays on the shelf, ranging from low percentages of deet up to high percentages that should only be sprayed on bare skin and not clothing. I've never heard anything about deet being banned in Ontario. I presume you live in the Oakville area from the caches you've found, so if you get a chance to go into Burlington or Toronto, go to MEC and they should carry Watkins brand cream and spray. You might want to call first to make sure because the spray is harder to find than the cream.

Edited by Husky_Patrol

1) Wear long light colored pants

2) When bushwhacking roll you pants under your socks.

3) Do frequent tick checks after making it back to the trail. Lots of ticks crawl around for awhile and don't attach right away. This is especially true when you do #2 because they now have to search for bare skin.

4) Bring a friend who is a tick magnet so they pick up all the ticks :-)

1) Wear long light colored pants

2) When bushwhacking roll you pants under your socks.

3) Do frequent tick checks after making it back to the trail. Lots of ticks crawl around for awhile and don't attach right away. This is especially true when you do #2 because they now have to search for bare skin.

Does that apply to Permethrin-treated clothes? I'm not kidding, I haven't even found a tick on my clothes, so they don't transfer to the car or into the house (to later get on me when I don't expect). I also still change out of the clothes and wash them as if they're covered with ticks (but I'm getting pretty confident that the clothes don't get ticks anywhere on them). This is in Georgia, tick season, tick areas. I'm one of those tick magnets.

I previously soaked myself in Deet, which I guess made the situation better than without Deet, since the ticks get ill or something and don't embed til they're feeling better. So I had to re-soak every few minutes, and still do Steps 1 through 3. Now I don't find a recovering tick in the car or anywhere. It's like there aren't any.

Edited by kunarion

Picaridin has been available in Europe for a good while, and is now sold in the US. It's been shown to be as effective ad DEET against ticks and mosquitoes, but without DEET's side-effects (numbness when contacting lips, damaging plastics on contact, etc.).

I get it at REI under the Natrapel brand name. Comes in a pump bottle, or in carry-along wipes.

Any grocery store, or pharmacy, doesn't need to be an "outdoors" store, you will find mosquito repellents containing Deet. In Canada, it's a much lower percentage than can be found in the US.

Deep Woods Off = DEET 23.75%

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/MosquitoRepellents/PRDOVR~0593596P/OFF!+Deep+Woods+Mosquito+Spray.jsp?locale=en

Muskol = DEET 23.5%

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/MosquitoRepellents/PRD~0594180P/Muskol+Aerosol.jsp?locale=en

Hard to miss seeing this stuff in stores in Ontario.

B.

Hmmm. I had heard about deet. The strength would be a key factor, however, where I live in Canada, deet is banned as far as I know. The only deet I'll find is in a little bottle of muskol in my retired fathers tackle box.

Edit to say that my tired eyes didn't see the link that was posted. I have since read it and if getting deet-containing products will be an issue, this Permethrin stuff should be what I use.

DEET is not banned in Canada. Anyone find your cache yet?

Everything that people have mentioned will help...but you will always need to check yourself after EVERY outting in the woods/grassy areas.

We treat our jeans with permethrin..... use bug spray everywhere else. Bodily checks OFTEN....

Tuck your shirts in...wear light colors (so you can see them). Wear a hat (so they don't get in your hair/head). Carry a 'tick removal tool' just in case one does get inbedded.

Ticks can be big and they can be very very tiny. We got home after an outting ready to take a shower - I noticed a small black dot on my chest. I thought it was a birth mark that I never noticed before ???? Upon further inspection, my husband noticed it had LEGS. And I mean...that sucker was soooooooooo frigin small!!!

Scary.....

We hate 'em...but...it's a fact of life/geocaching!

however, where I live in Canada, deet is banned as far as I know.

That was the plan back in 2002, but in 2003 they changed their minds and decided to continue to allow it.

BTW, I appreciate how this thread is running much smoother than your last thread ;)

I know, right? I like these people. They know what civility is. I came for help, they saw I needed it and offered it free of condescending attitude.

Thanks guys. Now if I can just get the wife to stop freaking out everytime we hit the tall grass I'll be good to go!

There loads of critters in the tall grass, more exciting than ticks, and all anxious to interact with people. Maybe you'd better not mention that to your wife... :ph34r:

I just got into Permethrin, and it's working so far. I sprayed my jeans myself and bought a pair of treated hiking socks and nice treated shirt (the sort that doesn't get soaked in sweat and has built in sunblock too).

THOUGH I have to add the first time I wore the shirt I did get a tick--it landed a little south of the armpit, so I'm thinking it either hopped in my open collar (it's a button down shirt) or crawled up the sleeve. I was almost ready to send a furious letter to the shirt manufacture, then remembered how other recommend spraying Deet where ever the treated clothes can't cover. With Deet on my lower arms and neck I've been fine.

Also, the kids have joined me a few times in the woods and have come out ok with just a spritz of Deet. But I don't drag them off trail too much and never in front (I find the best path for them without thorns and try to catch the spider webs for them).

Edited by stldenise

Wear slick nylon or similar hiking pants, gaiters if ya got em, use a walking stick to swat the grass before you go through and frequent tick checks.

By the way, the grass isn't their only home, they'll climb small trees and brush just as readily. I found over 50 ticks on myself crawling under some Coyote Brush once.

Best to be tick aware and not just rely on pest control.

Why have I seen so many ticks crawling up my freshly (the day before) permethryn-sprayed pants? I thought the stuff was supposed to make them do the heebie-jeebies and fall off instantly. I've had them reach my waistband, and that's too close for comfort!

Like someone else I know, those ticks just love you so much they will hold their breathe for you

If you live in an area with ticks in the grass, what do you do to either prevent getting them on you, or rid yourself when you get home. I'm just a little tired of stripping and changing after Every cache outing. Tips anyone ?

This Spring, I began using Permethrin on clothing (Sawyer spray, and professionally treated items). I haven't seen any ticks at all while wearing Permethrin clothes, which amazed me, after caching in some pretty infested places. Ticks walk around in Deet and laugh at me. With Permethrin, they get dead. I guess. Seriously, try it.

+1

Why have I seen so many ticks crawling up my freshly (the day before) permethryn-sprayed pants? I thought the stuff was supposed to make them do the heebie-jeebies and fall off instantly. I've had them reach my waistband, and that's too close for comfort!

How did you spray?

You need to almost literally SOAK the pants with permethrin and let it dry....

Hell, if you could dunk the clothes in a barrel of permethrin, that'd be the best way to do it!!

Edited by Lieblweb

How did you spray?

You need to almost literally SOAK the pants with permethrin and let it dry....

Hell, if you could dunk the clothes in a barrel of permethrin, that'd be the best way to do it!!

This weekend, I went on a little cache run without a care. Even bushwhacked to the interior of a bush for one of those Easter-egg-style caches. Earlier, I got one single tick on the outside of my blue jeans above the knee (tip: don't get Permethrin blue jeans, wear light colors only, to make tick-checks easier). The tick was just hangin' out there, but I brushed him off anyway. This was a set of professionally-treated clothes. I had the sleeves of my long-sleeve shirt rolled up this time, and not even a mosquito bugged me, even while I worked on that cache while sitting inside that evil bush. One nauseated tick is all I got. None transferred to the car, either.

The home-sprayed clothes have worked just as well, but they're due for a re-spray. Five washings is supposedly the upper limit. I do soak the clothes pretty good.

pants in socks

gaiters over that

long sleeve safari shirt

Deep woods off or DEET dilution spray

gaiters shoes socks and shirt come off at the car and go into a bag

shoes live outside, everything else to laundry immediately

shower with shampoo

Just a waste of time. Just use Sawyer on your clothes,shoes and hat. Your then covered head to toe and nothing to wash off.

This weekend, I went on a little cache run without a care. Even bushwhacked to the interior of a bush for one of those Easter-egg-style caches. Earlier, I got one single tick on the outside of my blue jeans above the knee (tip: don't get Permethrin blue jeans, wear light colors only, to make tick-checks easier). The tick was just hangin' out there, but I brushed him off anyway. This was a set of professionally-treated clothes. I had the sleeves of my long-sleeve shirt rolled up this time, and not even a mosquito bugged me, even while I worked on that cache while sitting inside that evil bush. One nauseated tick is all I got. None transferred to the car, either.

The home-sprayed clothes have worked just as well, but they're due for a re-spray. Five washings is supposedly the upper limit. I do soak the clothes pretty good.

Ya never know where you'll end up with ticks. And even the permethrin isn't a cure all.

Just a couple weeks ago, we were at the shooting range walking the 200 yard range - the grass is normally mowed. It was a little longer than normal but not above your sneakers..... somehow, my husband ended up with a tick on his leg. ??? That would've been the last place we'd expect to see a tick. So, you never know....(we were wearing shorts)

Last weekend we did a quick stop to find a cache that was local and always surrounded by muggles. It was a Sunday and perfect time. We weren't dressed or prepared -we thought it was an urban cache. It was a short walk into grass that was 4' tall!!! I was thinking....Oh dear god...TICK central. We made it in & out without one tick!!! Totally amazing...(we were wearing shorts)

Summer time & wearing shorts put a whole new perspective to things. We'll avoid a lot of the hiking where large grassy areas are involved. It just all depends.....

Edited by Lieblweb

My husband geocaches with his favorite tick magnet - me. I got my first tick about a month ago - I kept feeling the back of my neck all day, since I'd heard they like to go there, and suddenly, I felt a bump I hadn't felt before. I had heard that the best way to get a tick off is to use a match (which is wrong, I learned later, so don't take that as advice!), so we stopped at several restaurants trying to find matches. Apparently, everyone uses lighters now - we couldn't find a match. So we stopped at Walgreen's where they sold boxes of 50 matchbooks. We used one on the tick, and he didn't budge. So we used my log extraction tool that I always carry - my tweezers - and WrongTurn pulled the tick out. Later I checked on the internet and learned that the match trick can actually make the tick spasm and increase the risk of the tick infecting your blood stream. The best method of getting a tick off is with the extraction tool - pinch around the head and pull it off. I have a lifetime supply of matches now, even if I live a long, long life.

In the weeks that followed, I kept attracting ticks (there is some justice in the world - mosquitos leave me alone but love my husband WrongTurnRick!), so we have started using Deep Woods Off. I haven't had an issue with ticks since. We do a thorough check when we get home, and leave the geoclothes in the basement so we don't expose our pets if we've carried some home. After my first tick, we found one on our bed the next day (ewww) and had to wash all the bedclothes and comb the pets. If you live in an area where Lyme or Rocky Mountain Fever are likely (fortunately, both are rare in our area), it's recommended that you keep a tick in a baggie once you remove it from your skin, so you have it in case of a problem.

Good luck, and stay vigilant!