Cache co-ods accuracy.

It have been mentioned in other threads, about the accuracy of the co-ords of a cache. I like I feel sure others have gone to a cache location verified by the GPS, to find that the cache when found is some yards away.

OK this is I suppose part of the game to search. But when in dense undergrowth with brambles and nettles, and having ploughed your way through them getting to the location. You cannot believe that anyone would hide a cache in this spot. You are normaly right, as after a search you find the cache a short distance away in a much more friendly environment.

I have recently been playing with 'Google earth'. I find that when searching for a cache location before leaving home. I get a more accurate idea of the supposed cache location.

Now could this work the other way in when placing a cache? With GE zoomed in and on the pointer on where the cache has been placed, you would see the co-ords and compair them to your GPS readings. I wonder if this could be more accurate than some of the older GPS readings?e

If so would it make life that much easyer?

I know how you feel, I've just about completed a local series where all the co-ordinates are way out.

Yes if under tree cover then it can be hard, but one of these was right out in the open and I know it does not sound much but 0.02 miles away.

I've found that copy and paste the co-ordinates in to google maps and also copy and paste the british grid in to streetmap gives you two very accurate pictures of what the actual localtion should be.

Just soi annoying when you end up so far away and have to register a DNF or spend ages looking for something which is not where the co-ordiantes are.

Under tree cover etc is always going to be a problem for people on both sides.

Am I missing something? If the co-ordinates are accurate in google maps then surely they are right and there must be some other reason for not being able to find it in the field.

No I would say you are spot on. If google maps and streetmap both list the point to where the actual GZ is then there should be no issue.

Usually when I get a location out and I check it on the maps and it also shows as being out then I may post it in the log.

If your GPS is slightly out of which I beleieve there are several reasons why it could be then there should not be an issue.

I would often say something like my GPS was bouncing all over the place due to the tree cover. Certainly would not mention the co-ordinates are out in that case.

Am I missing something? If the co-ordinates are accurate in google maps then surely they are right and there must be some other reason for not being able to find it in the field.

I think I worded it wrong. What I mean is that when looking at Google earth, it gives me an idea of the terrain and a a rough idea of where that cache could be.

But when a cache has been placed it could help to check and compair co-ords befor listing.

I think I worded it wrong. What I mean is that when looking at Google earth, it gives me an idea of the terrain and a a rough idea of where that cache could be.

But when a cache has been placed it could help to check and compair co-ords befor listing.

Yes of course it could help the person when they go to list the cache.

There are lots of mapping tools out there now which are free to use and will pin point a location so that you can see how accurate it is.

Some people may intentionally put their co-ordinates out a little so that people have to look around for GZ which should be reflected in the difficulty.

There are some of us who like to be able to walk up to the correct location with the GPS and some that like the hunt when in the area so until you actually get to GZ you may never know how accurate it all is.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

BTW what is the protocol if you find a cache with bad co-ordinates. Do you mail the owner or do what I normally do and grumble a bit while secretely congratulating myself for finding it anyway? :)

I'm fairly new myself, but the latest series I've been doing almost all the co-ordinates have been out and I'm not the only person to mention it.

Whilst logging a Found I tend to put if they are out, especially if by much.

But the CO may be intentionally doing that to put someone in the right area but not on top of it.

If you find they are way out then it will not harm letting the CO know.

Just remember by only going by your GPS though it could actually just be you out. At certain times of the day you may only connect to certain sattelites which may not be entirely accurate as to your position. I beleiev when I read in to this at some point before it is worth while taking a GPS position on different days and different times to get a eman average of the actual position due to the daily differences.

My GPS is 15 years old and all be it slow to lock in, seems to be accurate out in the open. Phones may well be very different as their primary job is not to be a GPS but another addon to what once was just for making phone calls. Yes technology is getting better all the time and I dare say a lot of people will swear by whatever device they use.

A message to the CO will not harm anyone, they should be glad to recieve an update or question and give you a response.

I would welcome the idea as a setter of almost a peace of mind check that brings your final coordinates location up on a pop up map for you to confirm seems appropriate. I wouldn’t advocate using GE or other to set the cache but as a confirmatory check.

I’ve been to caches where it’s blatantly wrong from the hint so you widen your search due to transposition of numbers etc. I’ve actually found that fun but not really part of the game. Less fun when the hint is either vague or suits GZ but actually the cache is a long way away like a km.

I will admit to out by not just 10-20m on one of my caches now archived and on a current cache where I just can’t seem to get good coordinates. What doesn’t help is the latter is supposed to be a slightly tricky hide so I don’t want to be out with the coordinates.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

BTW what is the protocol if you find a cache with bad co-ordinates. Do you mail the owner or do what I normally do and grumble a bit while secretely congratulating myself for finding it anyway? :)

What I've found very useful is when people have put their coordinates in their found log. And that's both as a setter and while on the hunt. But I will put a caveat on that; if your coordinates are only 1-20m out then perhaps that’s part of the hunt. My GPS (or rather my original GPS12 that I still use as a backup) only has an accuracy of 10m. I love it when my new (to me) GPS says I’m only 2-3m away and the cache is there and unfortunately quickly think the coordinates are out when I’m 10m out but then have to remind myself of the reality.

I went out to day to attempt to find a couple that were local. I found the first after a wander around the area. My Etrex 20 said I was 6ft fom the cache, but it was another 30ft away. I spotted the obvious spot by how it was left by the previous finder.

The second cache I did not find, as I was running out of time. But I will try again in the near future. At the alledged spot, there were many objects of the hint.

So I suppose if every cache is an easy find, it could become boring.