New Coin - Free Luna

NepoKama

While FenchurchE and I were heading out to go hiking and try Geocaching for the first time we were taking about what we'd read about our soon-to-be addiction. At one point in the conversation she said "I've read about these things called Geocoins... I hear you can design your own and I know exactly what I'd want to do!"

My immediate reply was "A brass cannon on a field of sable with stars and a red bar-sinister with the word TANSTAAFL across the bottom?" For those who don't recognize the reference, that's the flag of Free Luna from her favorite book, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.

This year I decided it was time to surprise her with the coins. Specs for Free Luna:

• 1.75 inches
  • 3 mm
  • Trackable at Geocaching.com
  • Custom icon

There will be three versions - the Antique Brass and Satin Nickel versions pictured here and a special edition just for FenchurchE.

freeluna-front-sn.jpg

freeluna-back-sn.jpg

freeluna-front-ab.jpg

freeluna-back-ab.jpg

That design gives me deja vu!

That being said, I really like the design a lot! I plan on buying both versions or all three if I can get the special edition.

Is this coin made of zinc underneath the plating? I ask because you have some really nice detail for a 1.75 inch coin and zinc gives better detail than brass or bronze.

Is this coin made of zinc underneath the plating? I ask because you have some really nice detail for a 1.75 inch coin and zinc gives better detail than brass or bronze.

Yep, it's a zinc core. The mint wasn't going to be able to get the detail I wanted in the moon in brass.

It was -- they were done earlier this summer and presented to FenchurchE. We made three versions -- 70 each of Harvest Moon (Antique Brass) and Mythic Moon (Satin Nickel) and a special Blue Moon edition (Black Nickel). We've traded a few of the first two with local cachers. I'd meant to post back to the thread earlier, but have ended up being too busy this summer.

We do have the Harvest Moon and Mythic Moon available for sale (photos were posted earlier in the thread) -- Please message me if you're interested to either purchase or trade.

BTW -- here's a peek at the Blue Moon edition -- I don't have any of these available, they're FenchurchE's personal edition.

8067968954_51897b9a71_n.jpg 8067970273_23752abd58_n.jpg

Edited by NepoKama

Pricing would be important...

For purchase Harvest Moon and Mythic Moon are $10 each. I'll toss in a matching pathtag for every 4 ordered (or for $2 for smaller orders). Shipping in the US will be $3 for a single coin, add $0.50 for each additional coin (max $6 if order will fit in a flat rate Priority box). Contact me for shipping costs outside the US.

Edited by NepoKama