Listing a cache - "starting coordinates"?

Fife Club

I've already planted my first geocache and I'm trying to list it now. The form asks for both a starting point and a final destination. I see that I can enter the same coordinates for both but then it gave me a "are you sure" warning so I stopped to post my question. My question isn't really a question. It's "I don't get it!" What's the point of a starting location for a basic geocache? Every time I've ever searched for a geocache (13 so far) there has only been one set of coordinates. It shows only the final destination on the map. So in addition to not seeing any other caches have starting coordinates, I don't understand the point of them - unless I choose to include waypoints isn't there usually no "right way" to get to the cache as long as you get it?

I've already planted my first geocache and I'm trying to list it now. The form asks for both a starting point and a final destination. I see that I can enter the same coordinates for both but then it gave me a "are you sure" warning so I stopped to post my question. My question isn't really a question. It's "I don't get it!" What's the point of a starting location for a basic geocache? Every time I've ever searched for a geocache (13 so far) there has only been one set of coordinates. It shows only the final destination on the map. So in addition to not seeing any other caches have starting coordinates, I don't understand the point of them - unless I choose to include waypoints isn't there usually no "right way" to get to the cache as long as you get it?

Are you listing a mystery or multi cache? Those will ask for additional coordinates.

Are you listing a mystery or multi cache? Those will ask for additional coordinates.

It is a letterbox hybrid... but a letterbox hybrid is really just a regular single geocache from the point of view of geocaching.com. It just happens to have a stamp in it. (I mean, I could just list it as a standard box and it shouldn't make any technical difference.)

Edited by Fife Club

I have a letterbox hybrid, and I don't remember being asked for a starting and ending waypoint.

However, recently when I submitted a Challenge Cache (which are mystery caches), I was told by the reviewer that I must add coords for the final location. However, the coordinates listed on the cache page were for the final location.

Only one coordinate, but the system required two.

I'm stumped on your situation.

It is a letterbox hybrid... but a letterbox hybrid is really just a regular single geocache from the point of view of geocaching.com. It just happens to have a stamp in it. (I mean, I could just list it as a standard box and it shouldn't make any technical difference.)

A letterbox hybrid *may* be like a regular geocache. It may actually be set up like a letterbox, with letterbox style clues getting you to the final. I have a letterbox hybrid that you find the first waypoint via GPS, then follow letterbox clues (find the pine tree, walk 50 paces, etc ....) to find the final.

I don't see the point of a letterbox hybrid without letterbox style clues, but that's just me.

For those using letterbox clues in addition to GPS coords, then the final location makes sense.

A letterbox hybrid *may* be like a regular geocache. It may actually be set up like a letterbox, with letterbox style clues getting you to the final. I have a letterbox hybrid that you find the first waypoint via GPS, then follow letterbox clues (find the pine tree, walk 50 paces, etc ....) to find the final.

I don't see the point of a letterbox hybrid without letterbox style clues, but that's just me.

For those using letterbox clues in addition to GPS coords, then the final location makes sense.

Interesting. That may be the answer then. I treated them separately. My listing at AtlasQuest has a starting point but then turn-by-turn directions. I didn't even think that geocachers wouldn't actually treat it like a letterbox and follow turn-by-turn directions. I completely assumed that the point of geocaching was to find the cache by simply searching for the final destination coordinates, and not act like a letterboxer following descriptive instructions. I mean, if that were the case then then why not only give the one set of coordinates for the starting point and then if they were going to follow the instructions then why even have the final destination coordinates? But that may at least be the reasoning behind asking for both coordinates.

Edited by Fife Club

Interesting. That may be the answer then. I treated them separately. My listing at AtlasQuest has a starting point but then turn-by-turn directions. I didn't even think that geocachers wouldn't actually treat it like a letterbox and follow turn-by-turn directions. I completely assumed that the point of geocaching was to find the cache by simply searching for the final destination coordinates, and not act like a letterboxer following descriptive instructions. I mean, if that were the case then then why not only give the one set of coordinates for the starting point and then if they were going to follow the instructions then why even have the final destination coordinates? But that may at least be the reasoning behind asking for both coordinates.

Final coordinates if different than listed coordinates (for a Puzzle, a Multi, a true Letterbox Hybrid) would be hidden from view from everyone except Reviewers, Admins, and the Cache Owner (as an Additional Waypoint). Your Reviewer would need that info to prevent cache saturation now and in the future, in case someone inadvertently tries to crowd your hide.

Just had a look at what you are questioning on the new submission form and noticed the following paragraph, particularly the last sentence:

The final location is where your cache container is located. This location will be shown only to the reviewer and not to the geocaching public. If not applicable, please input the starting coordinates again, below.

Looks like you just enter the coords again and continue on.

The final destination is used by the reviewer to make sure that the proximity guidelines are being followed. They would not be publicly visible to other cachers. See my cache http://coord.info/GCNBAD for an example of how I set mine up. I have final coordinates, but it's not visible for others to see.

The description of a letterbox hybrid:

This cache type pays homage to an older form of scavenger hunt. A Letterbox Hybrid must include significant GPS usage for at least part of the hunt. Letterbox-style clues may be used to guide seekers to the container, but only if the clues are accompanied by coordinates specific to the hide. The container for a Letterbox Hybrid must include a stamp, which stays with the geocache and may be used by letter-boxers to stamp their personal letter-boxing book. The cache can be logged without using the stamp.