Latitude Longitude/Pocket Query

mncrazylady

I printed a pocket query that I created (don't have a cable for GPS yet) and I noticed that the L & L are different numbers than the actual coordinates on each individual Cache offering. Example: GC2RGDJ - Sandborn Corners - N 44° 14.271 W 095° 07.685. These are the cood. listed in the upper left hand corner under - Geocaching > Hide and Seek A Geocache > Geocache Details. The cood. that I have on my pocket query print out are N 44.23785 W095.12805. I ran 30 different caches and they all don't match. What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't they match? Is the L & L in the blue box the L & L that I should be logging into my GPS? Or should it be the ones on the print out? We were out on Sun. and only found 1 of 4 caches, using the L & L from each individual listing. That's when I looked at the print out and tried to log in the numbers from the pq. Actually I couldn't log them in as the numbers were too high after the 44. Help please!! (I am actually finding this website very confusing for some reason. Just this website. Wish I would have waited to become a member.) :(

They are the same. One is in decimal minutes the other is in decimal degrees. Different format for the same location.

Okay....? so do I need to change the "Units" "Position Format" in my GPS so that it cood. with the pq print out??? (Thanks for your quick response by the way) If so what do I need to change them to? I have: map datum (which I believe it is set on now), WGS 84, Statute North Ref, Mag Variance, 002ºE Angle and Degrees.

They are the same. One is in decimal minutes the other is in decimal degrees. Different format for the same location.

Okay....? so do I need to change the "Units" "Position Format" in my GPS so that it cood. with the pq print out??? (Thanks for your quick response by the way) If so what do I need to change them to? I have: map datum (which I believe it is set on now), WGS 84, Statute North Ref, Mag Variance, 002ºE Angle and Degrees.

Change your GPS format to HDD MM.mmm and it will match what is on the cache page.

Change your GPS format to HDD MM.mmm and it will match what is on the cache page.

Thanks!! It wasn't the HDD MM.mmm that you suggested, but I got the gist of it and was able to change it and match it to the pq print out. :D

Thanks!! It wasn't the HDD MM.mmm that you suggested, but I got the gist of it and was able to change it and match it to the pq print out. :D

What exactly did you print, and what steps did you take to do so. Yes, the coordinates are for the same position, just in different formats. The issue here is why you are getting printouts in a format that the website only uses at a level that we normally don't see, unless you explicitly ask for it. I don't think that the issue here is that you need to change the format on your GPS, but why is the website giving you printouts with coordinates in a format that is forcing you to do so.

What exactly did you print, and what steps did you take to do so. Yes, the coordinates are for the same position, just in different formats. The issue here is why you are getting printouts in a format that the website only uses at a level that we normally don't see, unless you explicitly ask for it. I don't think that the issue here is that you need to change the format on your GPS, but why is the website giving you printouts with coordinates in a format that is forcing you to do so.

He said he doesn't have a cable so he is printing the GPX file and manually entering the data into the GPS. GPX files use the DDD.DDDDD format for coordinates. While they designed for system to system exchange of data, they are plain text easily readable by anyone. I have had several occasions when I needed to read a GPX file, so they are hardly "at a level that we normally don't see."