A possible Bot on the loose

There is a cache on my watchlist. I didn't pay too much attention except it hadn't been found for awhile. But today I get another message on the watchlist that someone was calling FOUL. So I looked.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=Chevron%27s+Destiny

How about the trackable that is now "in the hands" of that username:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3592748&page=7

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Finds all over the world on the same day. The same day part wouldn't bother me too much... could have been somebody splitting their finds out from a group account, while forgetting (or not caring) to change the date. But 56 finds all over the world...? I don't think so.

Well they haven't logged that cache that had the Trackable. Strange. But even if they split from someone else or a sock puppet is a total only hitting one here one there type of caching. And to find the traveler when this type doesn't list where they are dropped off is like shooting in the dark.

Edited by jellis

There is a cache on my watchlist. I didn't pay too much attention except it hadn't been found for awhile. But today I get another message on the watchlist that someone was calling FOUL. So I looked.

B.

That is easy. You enter a different set of numbers in the trackable list and you will sooner or later hit a trackable and then say you picked it up. As mention in my other post they didn't list that cache yet as a find.

edit typo

Edited by jellis

B.

It looks like the previous holder of it did something funky with it too. They dipped it in several caches in Ohio, then "dropped" it in a cache in Japan with a note (but no Found It), all on the same day.

Who does he think he fooling? What a poor, sad person.

I note that he no longer has all 50 states. :)

But, he still has 50 souvenirs!

Uh huh.. I got one souvenir and havent found a cache in that state. It was because of the traveling cache. I need to email GS to remove one of the souvenir. I been in that state a few time but not for caching.

It looks like they did almost all of the states in alphabetical order. Maybe someone really likes souvenirs.

Only thing is if they really was after souvenirs they would have chosen countries that have them. So all they got was US state ones.

It looks like they did almost all of the states in alphabetical order. Maybe someone really likes souvenirs.

Only thing is if they really was after souvenirs they would have chosen countries that have them. So all they got was US state ones.

But that would have only given them four more caches. I imagine that if one were inclined to do so, a little research would identify caches in most countries which have a cache (there are still a dozen or so that don't) that have absentee owners or ones where an armchair log would likely stand for at least awhile. Then, even without a bot, it would be theoretically possible to log a find on a cache in every country in a single day.

So now they have hidden a fake couch potato cache, posting FTFs in Japan and some of the locals think its funny. :blink:

What is wrong with people? I suppose it was someone that was beaten too much as a child, or perhaps someone that wasnt beaten enough.

Or perhaps it is a child..

Groundspeak should have locked the listing and the sock awhile ago.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

This guy is a local cacher here in the Dayon, OH area using a sock puppet account. His real ID has pretty much been exposed when he sent a reply to a cacher who believes he stole her TB. The email was the same for this local idiot...um...cacher and ChevronsDestiny. He looks like a teenager in his pics so is probably just bored now that school is out and decided it was more fun to have us all waste our time and gas looking for his imaginary cache. Groundspeak is on his butt now :ph34r: He is probably having a blast seeing all the activity on his fake and now archived cache :drama:

Groundspeak should have locked the listing and the sock awhile ago.

The listing was archived a while ago, and all the account's finds have been deleted.

Notes and finds are still being posted to the listing in the junkyard and the account is still active.

The finds seem to be jokes and likely will be self-deleted before too long. It appears the account will be banned at midnight as per an email that was sent to the owner. I imagine the brief delay is standard operating procedure and allows owners to wrap up loose ends if they so desire.

This guy is a local cacher here in the Dayon, OH area using a sock puppet account. His real ID has pretty much been exposed when he sent a reply to a cacher who believes he stole her TB. The email was the same for this local idiot...um...cacher and ChevronsDestiny. He looks like a teenager in his pics so is probably just bored now that school is out and decided it was more fun to have us all waste our time and gas looking for his imaginary cache. Groundspeak is on his butt now :ph34r: He is probably having a blast seeing all the activity on his fake and now archived cache :drama:

It's rather common to see these accounts locked within a day or two, especially when exposed in the forums. But this one has been going on for a month, and even hid a bogus cache? Very strange, or it could just be one that slipped through the cracks, which it probably is. No conspiracy theories from me tonight.

Geez, you think he'd like at least post the bogus cache in Coluumbus. Or in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan? Anywhere but locally. But he was probably stupid enough to post bogus home coordinates in the Dayton area. They do often check that when you submit a cache, believe it or not. Especially if it's your first one.

It's rather common to see these accounts locked within a day or two, especially when exposed in the forums. But this one has been going on for a month, and even hid a bogus cache? Very strange, or it could just be one that slipped through the cracks, which it probably is. No conspiracy theories from me tonight.

Geez, you think he'd like at least post the bogus cache in Coluumbus. Or in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan? Anywhere but locally. But he was probably stupid enough to post bogus home coordinates in the Dayton area. They do often check that when you submit a cache, believe it or not. Especially if it's your first one.

Good to know the thing about the home coords. I'll check with the reviewer to see if they match up to this other cacher.

What a shocker that the first person to log a find has 12000 finds. <_<

The shocker to me is all the notes and NA logs that have been posted to the cache page! Some very upset folks there. And impatient.

Yeah, that kind of made me scratch my head too. I think one would have sufficed. Can't honestly say I've seen such drama in the SW OH caching community in my short caching career. But this is the midwest and we do get excited over most things :lol: