Placing a cache before finding any.

Should a person be allowed to place a cache before they have even found any? I ask this as today I went looking for one that I could not find. In fact this cach has never been found, but I was only the second person to try.

When I checked the profile of the cache owner, I see that apart from not finding any caches, they have only joined us last month.

GC3JA6M. This should have been an easy one as the clues were a give-away when at the supposed location.

The co-ords on my GPS showed a place on someone's drive so even their readings were out.

In my opinion I believe experience should be gained before placing caches.

I've alt accounts I've used to place caches, but I've never logged a find against them. One's obviously linked to me, but others aren't. It's very hard to be sure if a 'noob' account really has a 'beginner' behind it. Bad co-ords can happen to anyone (a cache I set the other week was over 200ft out, and that was set with an eTrex, not an iPhone!) and experience is no guarantee of quality. I do agree though; it's better to set caches after some experience of what makes a good hide is gained through finding others' caches, but I wouldn't put a 'ban' on setting a cache if you've not logged any (which can be very different from not finding caches. Some people have found thousands and never logged any online, for whatever reason) as that's a bit restrictive.

I don't see why not. Finding a number of caches might give you some sort of insight, no argument there but on the other hand there's no reason why someone who understands the principles of the game shouldn't place a good cache without prior experience either.

That doesn't look like a particularly interesting cache though :laughing:

I've placed 2 or 3 caches under a sister account that has no finds. I did it so I can hide caches outside my 60 mile radius. And the account name sounds "official" for the area. If I was forced into finding caches with that account I'd just re-log ones I found with my primary account rather than actually taking another trip to the cache for my secondary account.

Should a person be allowed to place a cache before they have even found any?

On the whole I would say no, but as others pointed out above there are some cachers out there who have created separate accounts specifically to place a cache and so they might appear to have not found any caches, or an individual might have been caching with another cacher for ages and only created their own account when they felt ready to hide one themselves; there are also cachers out there who just choose not to log finds online but may have hidden some themselves.

Personally I wouldn't dream of hiding one until I'd got a feel for the game by finding plenty.

I'm surprised it even got authourised with the quote below.

It is opposite an old metal bench, where children sit and play on the small green.

Surely anything near young children is usually a big No No!

Perhaps they did a couple of caches with someone else first, decided to setup an account and register their own cache and have now gone inactive.

With three DNF's to start with why not raise a maintenance issue on this to start with as it sounds like to co-ordinates are totally out.

With three DNF's to start with why not raise a maintenance issue on this to start with as it sounds like to co-ordinates are totally out.

Three DNFs are reason enough to raise a NM log, are they?

Whilst I agree that this sounds like a noobie cacher with a bad hide - unless a previous finder can verify that this isn't there, or there's something wrong with the cache (unlikely, as it hasn't been found yet) posting a NM in this case is totally groundless.

Edited to add - although the guidelines preclude caches in or near school grounds, thankfully just being near kids isn't yet a reason not to allow the publication of a cache. if it were, at least we'd be able to get rid of countless nanos in town centres..... ;)

Edited by keehotee

All points noted. I should explain that the 'green' is in fact an island in a not very busy road junction. With houses on all sides. There is a path to make crossing the road a short cut. Half way is this metal seat. In front of the seat I a small triangle of a grass area.

There was once it seems a fence as in the ground are holes that are cut off metal posts. Most of these were full of water or soil.

Apart from the fact that some of the cutoffs were jagged and rusty it was difficult to put my fingers into these holes.

The 'wall' surrounding this part of the green is only about 12-18 inches high.

In my opinion, not a good place for a cache.

May be the cache is on the CO's property? I do hope so because the clue mentions that the cache is in a wall and one of the DNF's mentions fresh damage to it :( .

Perhaps you could try emailing the CO to ask them to check this cache out?

I don't think it was on the COs property. If you have read the cache details and the clue then you would realise this.

I shal be watching this cache as it is very local to me.

May be the cache is on the CO's property? I do hope so because the clue mentions that the cache is in a wall and one of the DNF's mentions fresh damage to it :( .

I don't think it was on the COs property. If you have read the cache details and the clue then you would realise this.

Put it another way then. If the CO has had permission for this cache and the Land/wall owner is content to have the wall 'damaged', so be it :huh: .

I still think that (possible) quicker answers to your questions would be to email the CO but I hope watching it proves to tell you what you need to know.

Edited to add..

Ive just had another look at the whole page and there is no evidence to suggest that this cache is or isn't on the CO's property/land.

Edited by thehoomer

Put it another way then. If the CO has had permission for this cache and the Land/wall owner is content to have the wall 'damaged', so be it :huh: .

I still think that (possible) quicker answers to your questions would be to email the CO but I hope watching it proves to tell you what you need to know.

Edited to add..

Ive just had another look at the whole page and there is no evidence to suggest that this cache is or isn't on the CO's property/land.

You would have to have visited the cache site to understand the situation. Then you would see the wall, the vertical holes, and the so called 'green'. If you can, view it through Google earth and zoom in. You can just make out the metal seat. If you compair the cache page map and GE you will then see that the cache icon on the page is to the NW on as I said on someone's drive. Which is paved.

This could be the COs residence but there is nowhere to hide a cache of the description ie: 35mm film case.

The cache details tell that it is in one of the vertical holes. ( Cut off fence posts).

Just remember that this is just another cache and I only wanted to point out as the title of this thread.

Edited to add..

You would have to have visited the cache site to understand the situation. Then you would see the wall, the vertical holes, and the so called 'green'. If you can, view it through Google earth and zoom in. You can just make out the metal seat. If you compair the cache page map and GE you will then see that the cache icon on the page is to the NW on as I said on someone's drive. Which is paved.

This could be the COs residence but there is nowhere to hide a cache of the description ie: 35mm film case.

The cache details tell that it is in one of the vertical holes. ( Cut off fence posts).

Just remember that this is just another cache and I only wanted to point out as the title of this thread.

Am now wearing hessian vest :laughing: .

To get back to the original question..

I had found just over a 1000 caches before I set my first, simply because I didn't think I knew enough about hiding caches until then. But that was me; I wouldn't want to stop anyone from hiding a cache before finding one.

Nigel

Got a new cache notification yesterday and it was well within our usual FTF range but when I saw that the CO had only found two caches I decided to wait for someone else to 'confirm the co-ordinates' first :)

A good move too so it seems: the FTF log later in the evening told of a fruitless twenty minute or so search and then the CO arrived to actually place the cache!!! :o

B)

Mark