Recording FTF

ljvet

Hello -

Now that I've published a few cache and I actually had a FTF (shared, but the other cacher said he'd share it with me) I don't know where/how to record them. Neither MY FTF or the people who are FTF of my published cache.

Or is there such a thing?

Thanks!

ljvet

Hello -

Now that I've published a few cache and I actually had a FTF (shared, but the other cacher said he'd share it with me) I don't know where/how to record them. Neither MY FTF or the people who are FTF of my published cache.

Or is there such a thing?

Thanks!

ljvet

FTF is not an official stat. You can list your FTF on your profile if you'd like, and you can congratulate FTF on the cache page of the caches you own.

You can create a Bookmark list for your FTF's, that how I track mine.

I do the same thing. In the description field I list the number of FTF (1st, 2nd... ) and details if it was shared.

BTW, making the bookmark list public is considered tacky.

Just for the record, my FTF list is private :)

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to know that I am not missing a crucial statistic - nor am I affecting anyone elses.

And with a game this big, I would imagine there are plenty of practices that are tacky to some and not to others....its all good!

I put my two FTFs in my profile. Mostly just for me to keep track. :)

Non public bookmarks seem to be the most accepted thing. Easier to maintain than putting them in a profile, and less tacky than a public bookmark list. As there are no rules about FTFs, it will likely never be officially recognized ... there are just too many controversial issues around FTFs like group FTFs, cache owners thinking they can "award" FTFs, beta-tester FTFs, FTFs using holes in the system, etc ...

You can create a Bookmark list for your FTF's, that how I track mine.

I do the same thing. In the description field I list the number of FTF (1st, 2nd... ) and details if it was shared.

Says you. I don't think it's tacky at all.

Bookmark lists can be shared without making them public.

Public lists appear on the cache page. There are a lot of essentially personal lists that IMHO don't belong on cache pages. I see no value in making lists of caches used towards challenge caches public. I see no value in making lists of milestones (including FTFs) public.

Shared lists can be viewed by others, but don't appear on the cache page. If you want others to view your personal lists, then feel free to share them. But don't make them public.

And of course, some lists shouldn't be public or shared (e.g., puzzle solutions).

Public lists appear on the cache page. There are a lot of essentially personal lists that IMHO don't belong on cache pages. I see no value in making lists of caches used towards challenge caches public. I see no value in making lists of milestones (including FTFs) public.

Shared lists can be viewed by others, but don't appear on the cache page. If you want others to view your personal lists, then feel free to share them. But don't make them public.

And of course, some lists shouldn't be public or shared (e.g., puzzle solutions).

Why shouldn't a person make them public? How or who does it hurt?

It may not hurt anyone, per se, but they could bury other much more useful bookmark lists.

I'd actually ask the opposite of what you asked. Why would a person make them public? Why do others need to know that a particular cache was a milestone of yours?

It clutters up the cache page with irrelevant bookmark lists.

If I'm looking at a cache description page, then I don't care if someone used the cache for some challenge, or if it was a milestone for someone else. Such bookmark lists on the cache page are clutter. If I'm looking at a cache description page, the bookmark lists that are useful are ones that relate to the cache itself (e.g., lists of night caches or other caches of a given type, lists of caches in a series).

If I'm looking at someone's profile, then I might be interested in a bookmark list of their milestones, or the caches they used for a challenge cache. Also, if I'm looking at a challenge cache, then I might be interested in the caches people used for it. So make such lists shared but not public, and provide links in appropriate places.

It clutters up the cache page with irrelevant bookmark lists.

If I'm looking at a cache description page, then I don't care if someone used the cache for some challenge, or if it was a milestone for someone else. Such bookmark lists on the cache page are clutter. If I'm looking at a cache description page, the bookmark lists that are useful are ones that relate to the cache itself (e.g., lists of night caches or other caches of a given type, lists of caches in a series).

I agree with niraD, but to present the other side of the issue: there are two distinct advantages of making a challenge bookmark list public. The first is that it draws attention to the challenge. I think this is why many challenge COs like it, and I've discovered several interesting challenges I didn't know about by seeing such lists. But with so many challenge caches now, I think this has become overwhelming.

The other advantage is that a public list can be temporarily attached to the challenge cache for the purpose of verification by adding the challenge cache itself to the list, something COs typically request. When the list is later discarded, the link just goes away. If, instead, I put a pointer to a shared but not public bookmark list into my log entry for the challenge, when I later delete the list, the link in the log becomes stale.

I'm not saying those are reasons to take that approach, I'm just pointing out why the approach is used, perhaps getting people to think of new solutions to the basic problems.

I wouldn't consider putting up a public bookmark list of my FTFs, but I do think a public bookmark list of at least some challenge cache qualifying caches can be helpful to others.

Sometimes not so much.

It's like surfin' the net, eh?

Sometimes you end up on a page elucidating the latest thoughts on quantum mechanics, and sometimes you end up watching ABBA videos on YouTube! :lol: