Handheld with iPhone Question

CalicoMouse

We're very new to geocaching, been using the iPhone app. Thinking about purchasing a handheld gps to use along with the iPhone, going back and forth between a Magellan 510 and the Magellan 110. The 510 would cost me about $90 more.

Do I need the camera and some of the other features of the 510 if I've also got the iPhone? How important is the map update feature?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the Megellan... But I do know ...

Whatever GPS you buy, make sure it has a 3-axis compass. If you don't have it, you will be disappointed with a GPS that doesn't have it.

The first GPS we bought didn't have it and we sold it only after using it for one week.

You don't need a camera in your GPS if you plan on carrying your phone. We carry both GPS and iPhone with us on caching ventures. Sometimes I put the phone in a dry box.

We're very new to geocaching, been using the iPhone app. Thinking about purchasing a handheld gps to use along with the iPhone, going back and forth between a Magellan 510 and the Magellan 110. The 510 would cost me about $90 more.

Do I need the camera and some of the other features of the 510 if I've also got the iPhone? How important is the map update feature?

Thanks!

I have been geocaching in the United States, Canada, Bermuda, Japan, Singapore, Mexico, and the Dominican Republic.

I had a Magellan Meridian Color that I used up until a recent EPROM upgrade issue and then I replaced it with a Magellan eXplorist 710.

While caching in the continental United States, I am now using the iPhone for finding ALL of my geocaches and Wherigo caches.

I will begrudgingly resort to the new Magellan eXplorist 710 outside of the continental United States because iPhones without prior Premium Pocket Query saves have roaming data billed at US $19.97 per megabyte.

If you are staying continental United States, the iPhone app is all you need for FINDING local caches.

When you decide to start HIDING caches later in your membership, you may want to use a dedicated GPS as the iPhone seems better adapted at finding than listing new coordinates.

Edited by Wreck Diver

Both devices have their place. I prefer my Garmin Oregon 550 for its battery life and ruggedness...I can drop it, sweat on it, get mud and water on it, bang it around and generally abuse it unlike my iPhone. I'm also starting to take advantage of routable maps and being able to get driving directions to the cache then transitioning seamlessly to off-road.

iPhone app wins on the detail of the maps, including sattelite photos, which can be very valuable on some caches, and the ability to log finds in the field. The iPhone camera is also a lot better, but I opted for the Oregon 550 (with camera) because I often leave my iPhone in the car once I get out on foot. I think the iPhone app's user interface is also more intuitive and easy to use, but maybe that's just because I use the iPhone all day long every day.

Another thing I prefer about the Oregon is I can put it in my pocket or (usually) let it hang from the lanyard while I'm busy searching, scrambling over logs, etc, and when I look at it again it's still tracking my location. I hit the standby button on the phone to put it in my pocket, and when I "wake" it up to check coordinates again it needs to figure out all over again where it is. That takes a little while and is kind of annoying.

It's all about caching styles... if you use your device in a way that you require it to be rugged and tough (or just desire it to be that way) then the iPhone (or any smartphone for that matter) may be too 'tender' for you. Personally, I've never been in a situation where I wished my device could take more damage, so its ruggedness is a non-issue for me (and I've been through a number of rough and dangerous terrains; even though all it takes is one drop or submersion). But that's me.

As for battery, an external pack that takes AA's that can be shared among other devices (like a flashlight) is more than sufficient to use the phone on most any excursion.

And, just as with being prepared in the context of battery use, when hiding caches always do whatever work is necessary to ensure accurate coordinates, whether on a GPSr or a smartphone. I'd say if you're hiding away from civilization, especially under heavy canopy, then definitely use a GPSr as it would be more trustworthy to get accurate coordinates. But a high end smartphone is certainly sufficient to hide caches, as long as you do your utmost to ensure they're correct (eg, don't turn it on then take your first gps reading as the correct coordinates - don't do that if you have a GPSr either =P)

But again, people have different experiences, and different preferences, and devices have their strengths and relative weaknesses, so determine which device best suits your own needs. When you cross into 'high end' anything, chances are you can do most anything sufficiently with competing devices, but you can be more picky about details (like when choosing a pro SLR camera model :) )

Edited by thebruce0

You dont need the camera if you carry your iPhone. The camera on the iPhone will be better anyway.

Since you are a PM, store most of your data offline on your iPhone via PQs, and just get a basic, durable gps without all the extras. Save your money.

If you leave your phone in your car, like Dave, then it would be worth getting the whole shebang Gps. I'm never without my iPhone, even when out in the middle of nowhere, so it's offline capabilities are always available to me, and also like Dave, I can still let my Garmin dangle on my lanyard as I search.

You dont need the camera if you carry your iPhone. The camera on the iPhone will be better anyway.

Since you are a PM, store most of your data offline on your iPhone via PQs, and just get a basic, durable gps without all the extras. Save your money.

If you leave your phone in your car, like Dave, then it would be worth getting the whole shebang Gps. I'm never without my iPhone, even when out in the middle of nowhere, so it's offline capabilities are always available to me, and also like Dave, I can still let my Garmin dangle on my lanyard as I search.

Who's Dave? :)