Wot's the easiest GPS to use with a Mac?

Does anybody know the best GPS to use with a MAC home computer I have Garmin GPS 60 which I used with out issue for years, but after the wife making me convert to an Apple Mac home computer I have had issues loading caches to me device.

Always one to look on the bright side I would like to upgrade my GPS to one that has maps and this seems like a good excuse for an upgrade.

Can anyone recommend the best Mac friendly GPS?

Many thanks in advance

We us Macs in our house and have only Garmin GPSrs. When you connect the GPS 60 does it launch on the desktop? If so, you should be able to open it, find a folder marked "GPX" and drag your PQ directly to it. But, if you're looking to upgrade, we have both an Oregon and a Montana and highly recommend both. The Montana is easy to read, and with City Navigator, will work just like a Nuvi for car navigation. With the car charger and doc, you can charge it while in the car, so you never have to carry extra batteries. It is a little big, however, so if you want something a little smaller, the Oregon is great also.

Here's my default guide to show you using a GPS with a Mac, hopefully it shows you how easy it is :laughing:

Here is a short guide to download a GPX file from a cache page to a Garmin Oregon (450) on a Mac. If doing a PQ, just download the PQ instead of the single cache and follow the same steps.

Go to the cache page required, and click GPX File (highlighted. It should then download and is visible in the Downloads dialog box if using Safari.

screenshot20120331at192.png

Go to Finder, select 'Today' from the left hand panel and find the GPX file. Select it, then press Cmd+C to copy it.

Select your Garmin from the Desktop.

screenshot20120331at193.png

Once the Garmin is open in finder, go Garmin -->GPX --> and then press Cmd+V to copy it.

Eject your Garmin by dragging it to the recycle bin, and now the GPX file should be on your GPS.

Does anybody know the best GPS to use with a MAC home computer I have Garmin GPS 60 which I used with out issue for years, but after the wife making me convert to an Apple Mac home computer I have had issues loading caches to me device.

Always one to look on the bright side I would like to upgrade my GPS to one that has maps and this seems like a good excuse for an upgrade.

Many thanks in advance

Or.

You could run two computers, your wife on the Mac and you on your existing machine.

Here's my default guide to show you using a GPS with a Mac, hopefully it shows you how easy it is :laughing:

Here is a short guide to download a GPX file from a cache page to a Garmin Oregon (450) on a Mac. If doing a PQ, just download the PQ instead of the single cache and follow the same steps.

Go to the cache page required, and click GPX File (highlighted. It should then download and is visible in the Downloads dialog box if using Safari.

Go to Finder, select 'Today' from the left hand panel and find the GPX file. Select it, then press Cmd+C to copy it.

Once the Garmin is open in finder, go Garmin -->GPX --> and then press Cmd+V to copy it.

Eject your Garmin by dragging it to the recycle bin, and now the GPX file should be on your GPS.

Wow! Very nice, thx!

You know what they say, "once you go Mac...."

Hi there

I had a problem recently with connecting etrex H to my mac, I gave up and bought an etrex 20 which has mini usb connector and the mac wouldnt see it, so I then bought a copy of windows xp so I could dual boot the mac but couldnt get boot camp to work. So I then tried xp in virtualisation through virtual box which worked but still couldnt see the etrex20 so bit the bullet & bought a cheap netbook running windows 7 starter and can now connect gps easily also has the benefit of being able to run gsak.

Total cost for not programming by hand is £385, I did buy everything new so costs could be reduced by buying 2nd hand.

Hope my experiences are of some help.

So I would say once you buy mac ... you only go back once all else fails !!!

Dan

I've used a couple of Macs quite happily with my Oregon 300 for basic transfers (single or PQs). Occasionally I also dabble with an application called MacCaching. I don't like it very much to be honest, but for some reason I've always had a problem with ever-growing waypoints, and short of deleting them one-by-one on the Oregon, MacCaching at least allows me (manually) to remove PQ-related waypoints but keep my personal waypoints.

I use Linux rather than Windows or Mac, and then use GPSBabel to upload .gpx files to my Etrex Vista. GPSBabel is free, it works on pretty much ANY OS (Including Windows and Mac, and many that you may have never heard of), and it is what GSAK uses under the hood to do the actual communicating with the GPS (at least it did last time I used GSAK).

Hi there

I had a problem recently with connecting etrex H to my mac, I gave up and bought an etrex 20 which has mini usb connector and the mac wouldnt see it, so I then bought a copy of windows xp so I could dual boot the mac but couldnt get boot camp to work. So I then tried xp in virtualisation through virtual box which worked but still couldnt see the etrex20 so bit the bullet & bought a cheap netbook running windows 7 starter and can now connect gps easily also has the benefit of being able to run gsak.

Total cost for not programming by hand is £385, I did buy everything new so costs could be reduced by buying 2nd hand.

Hope my experiences are of some help.

So I would say once you buy mac ... you only go back once all else fails !!!

Dan

I just installed Windows 7 via bootcamp. Much cheaper :anibad:

Many thanks in advance

whatever the answer is you get here, make sure to run it by the boss wife first ;)

Thaks everybody for the advice the BOSS was very impressed

Edited by AndyBlooms