New Webcam Logging Requirements

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=310

"3.Webcam Cache Logging Guidelines: Webcam cache can only be logged with a photograph taken from the webcam associated with the cache page."

Personally I'd add "Unless the webcam is temporarily inoperative, in which case the cache may be logged with a photograph, at the cache listing owner's discretion."

Any thoughts?

I take your point, MB. Groundspeak could (and has) simply stepped in and archived webcam caches which have gone offline for too long. As for what 'too long' means, that's up to them to decide, I guess. Allowing the owner of the 'cam cache some flexibility, specifically when the camera is offline for short periods, just seems fairer to me than a blanket ban.

As Mark points out, the one I was 'most' concerned about (although I think it's a fair question on the broader issue) is up and running again. Now to test it on my phone... :)

...Groundspeak could (and has) simply stepped in and archived webcam caches which have gone offline for too long. As for what 'too long' means, that's up to them to decide, I guess.

I don't think anyone would think archiving that one was unreasonable. It had been out of action for far longer than it had actually worked!

Personally I think the rule is fair.

Yes it takes a bit of effort to get a pukka photo but that's part of the challenge.

Mark

Personally I think the rule is fair.

Yes it takes a bit of effort to get a pukka photo but that's part of the challenge.

Mark

I think so too. Logging a webcam without a photo from the webcam itself sounds too much like logging a find if a cache is missing.

Rgds, Andy

I'm not seeing the "change" here.

Hasn't this always been the correct way to log a web-cam cache ?

The list of changes says:

Virtual and Webcam caches: Clarified cache owner responsibilities.

Mark

The Guideline was edited to make the Owners responsibilities more clear. Owners of Webcam Caches have in the past, been warned by Groundspeak to Delete Find logs, where a photograph and not a screen grab of the Webcam Picture was being regularly accepted as Proof of Find. Failure to comply, risked the webcam cache being Archived for non compliance. So nothing has changed, just the Requirement has been made more clear for Webcam cache Owner

So nothing new, just a clearer clarification of the Requirement, which I know was applied by Groundspeak, in 2006 when I became a Reviewer.

The Logging Requirement for Webcam Caches, has always been a Proof of Find by posting a Picture of the person logging the find. At the location of the webcam, using a picture either directly downloaded from the webcams web site, where the facility exists, or a Screen Grab of the webcam picture. At no time has a photograph at the location, been a acceptable proof of find. It's just a case of some webcam cache owners, have allowed these by not policing the find logs.

Deci

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=310

"3.Webcam Cache Logging Guidelines: Webcam cache can only be logged with a photograph taken from the webcam associated with the cache page."

I'm not seeing the "change" here.

Hasn't this always been the correct way to log a web-cam cache ?

Ideally, yes, but I've seen notes from the owners of webcam caches saying 'a photo is ok if the webcam is offline, as it is occasionally' in the past. As of '[updated 4/23/2012]' that flexibility looks to have been removed. That's the change I'm referring to. A change in the interpretation, application or wording of a guideline still counts :) Edited by Simply Paul