A special page for Event Geocaches

Iron Chef

Just a suggestion, but maybe it's getting to be time to setup a page specifically for event geocaches and limit the number of them displayed on the homepage to 15 or so. They take up about half the screen as is. :~) Then again, it's just an idea.

Iron Chef

Another vote for making the event cache listings on the home page work more like the "latest cache logs". I DEFINITELY want the next several events listed, but as spring has sprung and many are looking forward to summer, there are a few too many at a time on the front page. I would think that limiting it by either count or next 10-14 days worth might be worth looking at.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

I think it is time to update the My Cache Page. My thought is to make it a location specific "what's what" in your area. Event caches, local forums and associations, latest logs, etc. It'll take a bit of work but something I think is important enough to be at the top of the list.

On the front page we'd just have a snapshot of the next week. And perhaps a link to all the events as well.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak Lackey and Geopuppet

I'd like to see them listed in a wide area, Your area tends to be within 100 miles.. I go farther than that while travling around, So it is nice to see them all listed so that you can pick one to go to.. for example my kids live 250 miles from me, If I knew of a event cache near them I would plan a vist then and grab the kids too...

Thanks for letting me vent again!

Don

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

I think it is time to update the My Cache Page. My thought is to make it a location specific "what's what" in your area. Event caches, local forums and associations, latest logs, etc. It'll take a bit of work but something I think is important enough to be at the top of the list.

On the front page we'd just have a snapshot of the next week. And perhaps a link to all the events as well.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak Lackey and Geopuppet

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Just a Short walk" Says....

If You plant a cache they will come.....

I'm with Hawk-eye on this one. Good job on the calender of events and such Jeremy! Not only does the home page look tidy again, but the calender is very helpful.

-IC

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Just saw the the main page and the new event cache format ... nice ... thanks Jeremy.

Iron Chef

Jeremy, a really useful feature. Thank you.

I am just not sure why this cache is not listed in June 2002....

EDIT - wait - I figured it out. The date for this page is generated by the "hidden on" field? Is that right? If so, I guess I need to let the owner know? This cache is listed for March 2002...

Or is there something else I don't know..... ? (I mean, about THIS topic!) icon_wink.gif

Jeremy, a really useful feature. Thank you.

I am just not sure why this cache is not listed in June 2002....

EDIT - wait - I figured it out. The date for this page is generated by the "hidden on" field? Is that right? If so, I guess I need to let the owner know? This cache is listed for March 2002...

Or is there something else I don't know..... ? (I mean, about THIS topic!) icon_wink.gif

On another Tangential (spelling?) note: While I was at the calendar comparing two meets that are on the same day it occurred (Jeremy, how bout a spell check?) to me that in order to see which was closer I had to drop them into mapsource or map them or something to compare distances.

It would be nice if whenever we clicked on a cache page there would be something like "30 miles NE" similar to what we get when we do a search by home coords or zip code but right on the cache details page. This could get the data right from our home coordinates which most of us have input. Would save alot of time.

A couple of points on the event cache list changes:

First, the list just seems to cover today's caches, based, I presume, on an American concept of "today". It's worth noting that in (say) New Zealand it is very probably already "tomorrow", so at least two or three days worth of event caches ought to be listed, or if only todays are to be listed then at least the time zone for each cache's location should be used to determine whether it should appear. I was trying to check on tomorrow's events in the UK...

Second, I can't get the calendar to display cleanly in Netscape. The text on the left hand side tends to over-write the calendar itself. Might be at least partly a font issue.

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

*mutter* font size=1 *mutter* almost invisible in netscape...

I just spotted the "5 most recent" wording under the "Upcoming Event Caches" heading. Though "most recent" implies "past" rather than "future", the "5" does sort of explain why the UK one on Sunday didn't appear until past midnight US-time, 'cos there were quite a few on Saturday. I guess, if there are more than 5 in a day that some will be unlucky and not get a front-page listing...

Whatever...

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk