Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
T-bone's Team

Let The Races Begin...again!

I'm looking for an East Coast cacher/7th or 8th grade middle school teacher to race TB's across the country between your home and Lebanon, OR.

The idea is to place a cache on or near the school grounds with a small lock box TB with a flash drive/cd, etc. of student research of their hometown, a video perhaps, as well as items unique to our areas, and send it off with the goal of crossing the country and landing in our School Cache. As it moves and people log its movement you would track it on a billboard map! Research and write about places it visits. Communicate with members, etc.

Lots of lesson potential, and I am more than willing to absorb others ideas. Send mail or PM if you are interested. This will be our second race...lost the last one . :) As a matter of fact it was a few years behind theirs.

You can see how that went Hereand HERE.

We should get organized for next school year pretty soon. Give me a shout!

Eric Tuck

Seven Oak Middle School

Lebanon, OR

I know this is technically an education topic, but more importantly it is a caching topic. Hopefully it won't be moved as the ed forum gets little use.

I'm looking for an East Coast cacher/7th or 8th grade middle school teacher to race TB's across the country between your home and Lebanon, OR.

The idea is to place a cache on or near the school grounds with a small lock box TB with a flash drive/cd, etc. of student research of their hometown, a video perhaps, as well as items unique to our areas, and send it off with the goal of crossing the country and landing in our School Cache. As it moves and people log its movement you would track it on a billboard map! Research and write about places it visits. Communicate with members, etc.

Lots of lesson potential, and I am more than willing to absorb others ideas. Send mail or PM if you are interested. This will be our second race...lost the last one . :) As a matter of fact it was a few years behind theirs.

You can see how that went HERE and HERE.

Eric Tuck

Seven Oak Middle School

Lebanon, OR

I know this is technically an education topic, but more importantly it is a caching topic. Hopefully it won't be moved as the ed forum gets little use.

You can see how that went HERE and HERE.

Eric Tuck

Seven Oak Middle School

Lebanon, OR

As a social studies teacher I love this idea. However, I see two big issues with the current plan. One is the location of the caches. The rules say that caches can not be hidden on or near school grounds because of the various issues they have caused in the past. The second issue is that people get uneasy about putting strange flash drives and/or CDs into their computers due to viruses. I believe this is a good idea it just needs some tweaking.

Edited by Keystone
formatting fixed by moderator

Thanks for the input, but having done the race before, those are non-issues. Near school doesn't necessarily mean right next to it, which would be acceptable anyway per rules as long as it is not on grounds. The last time we ran it, the cache itself was a mile away on my end and about a mile on their end. very safe. As for flash drives and CDs, teachers shouldn't have trouble trusting teachers, and most anti-virus software is pretty good these days.

Keep on'a cachin',

T-Bone

The idea is to place a cache on or near the school grounds with a small lock box TB with a flash drive/cd, etc. of student research of their hometown, a video perhaps..

The guidelines state caches should not be placed on school grounds.

When you place a flash drive in the cache, with the intent of it getting to the other school, you have no control over WHO picks it up and what they do with it, hence the concern that it could contain something malicious or inappropriate.

Teachers trusting teachers is not the issue.

Personally, the thought of slapping a USB that everyone in the world has had access to, into my pc is just revolting. Oh well, given the life span of most travelers, it would never make it anyway.

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Geocaching and Education General forum.

While a valid idea and certainly a usable idea for someone else, in my opinion, it takes away from the, I don't know, magic?, from the travel. Worked last time. Should work this time.

Revolting is a strong feeling for a minor thing. However, in the past, I used CDs. No biggie.

As for not making it? I've already done this successfully, and don't have a negative outlook on it.

Thanks for the input though.