Web site missing some finds and logs

WindChill

I just noticed that three caches I have found are listed in the not found portion of my nearest caches page. When I looked into this, I see that my logs are missing from the pages (in fact all logs are missing for a several-week time period). The caches dont show up in the list on My Cache Page though my total finds number still reflects them.

They do show up, and all of the logs apear ok, in my Found Caches pocket query from last Monday. They do not show up in my Not Found PQ from Wednesday, so either this is a recent issue, or the web site and PQ are not reporting the same info.

The caches in question are:

Auburn Bridge

Lime Creek

Lime Creek

Update: Ive just noticed that all three caches are hidden by the same person. Ive emailed the hider to see if the finds/logs were removed intentionally.

------------------------------------------------

The world is a playground. Go outside and play!

[This message was edited by WindChill on May 10, 2003 at 07:31 AM.]

[This message was edited by WindChill on May 10, 2003 at 08:01 AM.]

Not sure if its related or not, but RogofLap recently had all three of those caches get disabled (which he later changed back) by some program.(it was collecting info on caches near a certain zip or something??) Yea I realize thats very vauge, but I didn't understand what he was talking about all that well when I found out, so I won't try to explain.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

That is basically what his reply to my email said. He didnt elaborate but it doesnt seem to me that disabling and reenabling a cache should cause logs to disappear. Is this expected behavior or a possible problem with the site that that Jeremy et. al. would want to look into?

quote:
Originally posted by WindChill:

That is basically what his reply to my email said. He didnt elaborate but it doesnt seem to me that disabling and reenabling a cache should cause logs to disappear. Is this expected behavior or a possible problem with the site that that Jeremy et. al. would want to look into?

Well... I kinda think whatever he was looking for could have been picked up with a pocketquery, and wouldn't be disabling and deleting stuff. And isn't scraping??(is that what he was doing???), discouraged anyways??

My guess, based on what you've said is that he was doing something with a slurper...

A Bot that, when fed a URL, follows all the URLS on that given page down to a certain depth...

Say something like this... Set the recursion level to 3...

1. Starts with "Closest Caches Page"

2. Loads all the cache pages on that page

3. Follows all the links on the cache pages.... Which, if you happen to be the cache owner, includes ALL of the "DELETE THIS LOG", "Disable this Cache", etc, etc......

TMH-AG

(That's My Half-A@@ed Guess)

----------------------------------

MnGCA-button.gif

"The number you have reached is imaginary, please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again... <beeeeep>"

quote:
Originally posted by Team VE:

My guess, based on what you've said is that he was doing something with a slurper...

A Bot that, when fed a URL, follows all the URLS on that given page down to a certain depth...

Say something like this... Set the recursion level to 3...

1. Starts with "Closest Caches Page"

2. Loads all the cache pages on that page

3. Follows all the links on the cache pages.... Which, if you happen to be the cache owner, includes ALL of the "DELETE THIS LOG", "Disable this Cache", etc, etc......

TMH-AG

(That's My Half-A@@ed Guess)

Actually... I think he did use the word 'slurp'.

But wouldn't it find more than one "delete this log" link?(like, is it likely more people were deleted but haven't noticed??), or could it be set to stop once it got to the logs??

There were other logs missing. I dont know off hand how many but for all three, my log was in my PQ, so it was still within the last 5.

Hmmmm, oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by WindChill:

... I see that my logs are missing from the pages (in fact all logs are missing for a several-week time period).

I was figuring that it had deleted all the recent logs....

MnGCA-button.gif

"The number you have reached is imaginary, please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again... <beeeeep>"

quote:
Originally posted by Team VE:

I was figuring that it had deleted all the recent logs....

That makes sense, because only the last few logs are shown unless you click the link to view them all. Continuing on for one more level would have been even more destructive, since the "Show all logs" link would have been followed, then every single log deleted through the links on that page...

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)