FYI: Lightsquared Files Chapter 11

Lightsquared, who planned to roll out 4G LTE wireless broadband communications network integrated with satellite coverage, which could have threatened GPS use have filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Protection from Creditors - while they try to work through "issues".

My interpretation: They look to dress their technology up in better clothing and get it dates with some influential regulators and/or legislators.

Lightsquared, who planned to roll out 4G LTE wireless broadband communications network integrated with satellite coverage, which could have threatened GPS use have filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Protection from Creditors - while they try to work through "issues".

My interpretation: They look to dress their technology up in better clothing and get it dates with some influential regulators and/or legislators.

Or it gets divided up into good parts and bad parts. The good parts get sold at a profit and the bond holders get skewered holding the bad parts. I think the time for the high powered network on GPS frequencies has past and technology has moved on. The whole thing depended on a quick flip and it did not happen nor do I see it happening in the future.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444752504578024762546448822.html?mod=googlenews_wsj#project%3DFALCONE0929%26articleTabs%3Darticle

"LightSquared is asking the FCC to modify its license application so it can use its five megahertz of spectrum that haven't caused GPS concerns. It also seeks to use another five megahertz that it would share with federal-government users. The other filing, a rule-making petition, calls for LightSquared to forego using the "upper" 10 MHz that have caused GPS concerns. It still wants the FCC to consider use of that 10 MHz but agreed to wait for and cooperate with "operating parameters and revised rules for terrestrial use of this spectrum."