Smartphone vs GPS question

I started out right away caching with my smartphone and the geocaching app. I must be really rough while I cache because my phone is really taking a beating. I've received money for Mother's Day. If I were to buy an actual GPS unit to cache with, would I be able to post my found logs directly to the website like I do with my phone or would I need to wait til I get back home and do them all at home later? I am clueless. Any ideas?

I would suggest sticking with the smartphone, but you should do a few things first to make life easier on you.

1. Get an otterbox or other protective case for your phone.

2. Buy an external GPS reciever. I use the Dual XGPS 150. It's iPhone and Android compatible. This helps A LOT with battery life and GPS accuracy. It also takes a decent amount of wear off your phone's internals. (namely the battery)

3. Get an extra battery. They are available for nearly every model phone on ebay. Usually for less than $10 each. I have 3 for my Motorola Triumph.

I'm very inexperienced as far as handheld receivers go, so I'll pass the buck on that part.

Well, we use a Garmin Montana for most of our caching, but we carry our iPhones and post the logs while we're caching. If we are in an area with no cell reception, then we can't post the logs live and have to do it later. So, to answer your question, no here is no GPS that can post live, but there is no reason you can't keep your phone in your pocket and just use it to post the log. Saves wear and tear on the phone and battery life. The accuracy and "ruggedness" of a dedicated GPSr is so worth it, but it is nice to have the phone as a secondary device.

Short answer, nope - to post logs live you'd need your smartphone.

As mentioned above, pick up a protective case if you really put your phone through the ringer, and if battery is a concern, grab an external battery pack.

I picked up this simple little bad boy and it's been the best accessory purchase I've ever made for my phone.

But live logging isn't really all that important. IMO it's useful for logging FTFs (in case others are watching and about to head out) and possibly DNFs (if you know others are coming and feel it could be a waste of their time to also search for it). Otherwise field notes are just as good, and give you a bit more time when you're at the website to think about and write up your logs :)

Well, we use a Garmin Montana for most of our caching, but we carry our iPhones and post the logs while we're caching. If we are in an area with no cell reception, then we can't post the logs live and have to do it later. So, to answer your question, no here is no GPS that can post live, but there is no reason you can't keep your phone in your pocket and just use it to post the log. Saves wear and tear on the phone and battery life. The accuracy and "ruggedness" of a dedicated GPSr is so worth it, but it is nice to have the phone as a secondary device.

You basically took the words from me. The last statement sums it up well.

I use my DeLorme PN-60 primarily, and keep the iPhone for pics and logging finds. They make a great combination. Even though I can view previous logs and cache descriptions on my GPSr I think it's easier to do on the iPhone.

I have an iPhone and an Oregon 450. I still say a dedicated outdoor GPS is the best way to go, UNLESS you are a very occasional cacher. If your iPhone is starting to take a beating, you would be amazed at how much a GPS'r can take. I've dropped mine more times than I can count and it continues to work perfectly. If I dropped my iPhone once I think I'd be needing to purchase a new one.

As for logging immediately, it's not neccesary. I simply plug my GPS into my computer at the end of the day and type out my logs. That gives me time to think about the caches I found and write some nice logs rather than short, hasty ones in the field.

I save field notes in Geosphere, making note of anything that I want to remember. Upload them to the site and post when I get home. Or post while mobile if logging asap is essential. Field notes are win.

My first 3GS died to a pond. My 2nd 3GS survived complete submersion. My 4S was wounded with a crack not 2 months after I got it, and the screen has been cracked since yet remains perfectly functional. They're not that fragile ;)

Buy a handheld GPS and geocacache with it while you keep your phone in your pocket.

When you find the geocaches, get the phone out of your pocket and log them 'live' and put phone back in your pocket.

Best of both worlds!

My husband just bought another handheld so we both have one. We both carry our iphones and will be carrying both GPS's.