E.T. Highway by RV

danielwest76

Has anyone used an RV to do the ET Highway powertrail? What has the experience been?

The caches are about 50' off the highway and on dirt roads...you're probably better off using the RV as a camping home base and a smaller car for the actual caching...any rental car will work, but it's dusty.

YEAH!! You Can do it by RV, but I'd recommend that IF your doing it that way, you actually drop your 'Runner1' off at the start of a string of them, and then drop 'Runner2' off one mile down the road as you pick up runner1. Usually there's a 'Larger Pullout' every few miles.

Of Course, IF I owned a RV, I'd grab a rental as close to the hwy as you could, have 4-5Gal gas cans full of gas and Park the RV around 15 Miles Past Rachel. When you leave the RV with your rental/carPut 2 of the 5Gal gas cans in the trunk, and leave the other two in the storage box on outside of RV.

Assuming you Start at MIDNIGHT: When you stop in Rachel about 9a, fill the car up with your gas cans you have with you. Its AMAZING how much gas a car at IDLE uses.Take a SHORT break in Rachel, and then push on to the RV Getting caches. When you reach the RV, Fill up with the cans you still have in the car the rest of the way, then trade them for the Full ones in the RV. At this point you SHOULD have 2 Full and 2 Empty gas cans. If you have any more fuel in the 3rd can, Keep it.

As you get ready to turn Left at Hot Spring? Top off again, and keep going. When you Turn Right to finish the Top Loop, Top Off again, and Keep Going. Somewhere near the TOP of the Top Loop, Top off again, and DON'T Give UP! At this point, you'll NOW have multiple options as to where to go next, but I'd say After GC32D1E to go North and get that Spur. Top off a the end of that spur, and then work to GC32CHX then North on the next spur coming back down the triangle. When you get Close to Midnight, Start watching the Clock.

For Safety, STOP just after Midnight, travel BACK to the RV, and SLEEP! This is HIGHLY ADVISED! Doing the SAME THING over and over again WILL make you REALLY TIRED! When you wake up, have a Good Breakfast and if you REALLY want, finish where you left off. I'd Move the RV to the turn Northbound near GC32AJQ at this point. Also, Beings your NOT going to beat that 24 Hour Personal Record again, make that run to tonopah and Fill your tanks. Finish Route, and Don't forget that Geocaching is about the Adventure, and NOT about the numbers!

OUR Long log is HERE so that you can read it with its many timestamps. We did 1022 of the 1500 that were published at the time in the same day! This is NOT meant to discourage you, But we DID LOOSE 5 HOURS due to 2 different things. First was NOT starting at midnight(0240 for us), and the other was a 2.5 Hr Gas Run to Tonopah, cause we FORGOT our Gas cans at HOME! We were on track to get ALL 1500 of them in 24 HOURS, but I am a stickler for that Midnight(Local) when out caching. It was TONS of fun, and is currently one of our Highlights while out caching.

Good Luck, and HAVE FUN!

The Steaks