hiding caches

real deal

if a cache is lost,stolen,animalized etc. and thus

located from one coordinate but in the same Park

name to another should the old cache site be archived? How about points...should the people that have already visited the old cache site and name be allowed to get a point for finding the new cache site location? And howabout turning a one step single cache into a multicache level,

should people get an additional point?And finally

how about those individuals who claim to have not found the cache because of it being victim given a point from the hider just because they were there?even better changing the cache from behind a rock and then resecuring it "better" in a tree in the same acceptable cache site location (original placement)....???????????????????????????

if were talking about one of your caches, its up to you, but personally i would just archive the old cache, move it a ways aways hoping it wont suffer the same fate as the 1st cache. then i would welcome anyone to seek the cache, as for ppl claiming finds, would tell them that unless they have signed the log they cant claim a find. tell them your sorry the cache was unavaiable but they cant claim that cache, and never will as it has been archived, but if they liked the area the first time they should return and seek #2. icon_biggrin.gif

whack.gif

if were talking about one of your caches, its up to you, but personally i would just archive the old cache, move it a ways aways hoping it wont suffer the same fate as the 1st cache. then i would welcome anyone to seek the cache, as for ppl claiming finds, would tell them that unless they have signed the log they cant claim a find. tell them your sorry the cache was unavaiable but they cant claim that cache, and never will as it has been archived, but if they liked the area the first time they should return and seek #2. icon_biggrin.gif

whack.gif

Relocating a cache is not acceptable, except under a few extreme circumstances.

As for how to handle a cache that's been moved (by the owner) from one place to another in the same park, this cache is a perfect example. The cache owner even invited cachers who've had found it in its previous location to come out and try to find it again.

And like your example, a bonus cache was added to turn it into a multi.

As for getting a find credit when the cache is not there, I say no, if for no other reason (and there are several) than it does a disservice to other cachers. Example: You're about to go after a cache, so you pull up the cache page and check the last log. The date's pretty recent, and there's a icon_smile.gif looking back at you. You don't read the actual text because you'd rather not read any clues the poster may have put in the log. So now you're off on a wild goose chase.

PS_sig.gif

Relocating a cache is not acceptable, except under a few extreme circumstances.

As for how to handle a cache that's been moved (by the owner) from one place to another in the same park, this cache is a perfect example. The cache owner even invited cachers who've had found it in its previous location to come out and try to find it again.

And like your example, a bonus cache was added to turn it into a multi.

As for getting a find credit when the cache is not there, I say no, if for no other reason (and there are several) than it does a disservice to other cachers. Example: You're about to go after a cache, so you pull up the cache page and check the last log. The date's pretty recent, and there's a icon_smile.gif looking back at you. You don't read the actual text because you'd rather not read any clues the poster may have put in the log. So now you're off on a wild goose chase.

PS_sig.gif

I've had a couple of caches that I moved for one reason, or another. In once case I found a much more interesting place in the park to put it. In the other, I took an easy 5 minute hike and turned it into a multi cache that could take up a good part of an afternoon. In both cases I believe I improved the cache hunt experience for Geocachers and in both cases I archived the old cache, so those who found the original cache could log the new one as well.

I also left a ziploc with the new cache coordinates at the old site, in case one of those people who don't check the website before heading out decided to look for it

I had a cache that had been in place for only a few weeks before I had trouble with the location. The stump crumbled and became unusable, The next location was damaged by kids. The next place is where it's at now. I maintanied the same park, but in each case I changed the coordinates and posted a note regarding the change. My attitude is this: If something major changes within the cache description, it is my obligation to tell geocachers what's happening, even if it is moved, becomes a multi-cache or is simple removed from service. As for the policy of never giving credit to a person who has found a damaged cache to which he can not write into the log, I vote that that's up to the cache owner!

If you think you are leading, but no one is following...you're just taking a walk!